VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I burned a DL (Verbatim) of Hard Candy, and when I watched the disc it skipped a chapter after what I assume was the layer change - though if I went in reverse from the point it jumped to the "missing" chapter was there.

I decrypted and burned using DVDDecrypter.

I don't typically use DL discs, though I have used some Sony and Verbatims burned in the same manner with no apparent problems. The thing that worries is that I have a number of titles that I haven't watched yet, and I'm wondering if these also might have the same flaw.

Is this a common issue with all DL discs, just Verbatims, or perhaps a random fluke?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like a bad burn. Did you burn it with ImgBurn? Firmware up to date? Burn speed? Did you verify? Have you run a PIPO test?

Regards
    Les
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by blutach
    Sounds like a bad burn. Did you burn it with ImgBurn? Firmware up to date? Burn speed? Did you verify? Have you run a PIPO test?
    I'm hoping it was just a bad burn.
    I used DVDDecrypter to both rip and burn in ISO mode.

Never used ImgBurn. I'll give it a shot...

And no, I didn't verify or run a PIPO test (have to Google that).
    What will verify do if it's a bad burn?

thx
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Get ImgBurn, it will find the best place and give you a choice where to put layer brake. I think this is the best software for dual layer burns.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    pointyskull,

I would also like to recommend ImgBurn for dvd-video, especially with dual layer media, but bad burns (or layer break problems) that I've seen are more likely to break up the picture/sound, create a distinct pause in playback, or just plain freeze. I haven't seen it cause an entire chapter to be cleanly skipped. To me, that sounds more like a navigational problem.

If you play the material on your computer, using the source files on your hard drive rather than the burned disk, does it also skip the chapter? If it does, then you've picked up a problem prior to the burning phase. If the pre-burn files don't skip that chapter when played on the computer, then a burn problem jumps to the top of the list of suspects, and following blutach's checklist is your best bet.

As to your question:
    Is this a common issue with all DL discs, just Verbatims, or perhaps a random fluke?
    No, that's uncommon behaviour for a DL disk, especially a Verbatim. In fact, I've never seen that behaviour firsthand or heard of it before. I'm not really a big fan of "random flukes". There's always a reason why things go wrong with dvds, and finding/fixing problems is part of the adventure.

In regards to:
    What will verify do if it's a bad burn?
    It will tell you the burn was faulty. Verify compares the contents of the burned disk with the source material that was theoretically burned to the disk. If they're not identical, the burn wasn't entirely successful. In this particular case, it would tell you if your problem was the burn, or something else. One of the codes I live by is...If something is worth burning, it's worth verifying. It's kind of an update to "Better safe than sorry".
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    blutach,

Like many others, I've long appreciated the large amount of very useful knowledge you've shared through your guides and postings. Thank you for the education.

pointyskull,

I apologize for this brief departure from your topic...it won't happen again.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Another problem might be your player,I had a player that would occasionally freeze at the layer break.There's no guarantee that DVD+R DL will play correctly on all players.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by VegasBud
    blutach,

Like many others, I've long appreciated the large amount of very useful knowledge you've shared through your guides and postings. Thank you for the education.
    Yeah, I instantly recognized the name as well. Branching out from Digital-Digest, are you? (Some of your guides are listed here already.)

[EDIT] Sorry pointyskull. Previous posts have covered all the usual suspects. I have no more to add.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by tinker
    Get ImgBurn, it will find the best place and give you a choice where to put layer brake. I think this is the best software for dual layer burns.
    Definitely use ImgBurn, without question.

If you're doing a straight disc copy...ISO rip with DVD Decrypter and burn with ImgBurn then you won't have to worry about layer break placement. When ripping to ISO, DVD Decrypter should place the layer break in the same exact spot as the original disc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you VegasBud and fritzi93 for the warm welcome

There are folks everywhere who need a helping hand, not just at DD and this is a top place. Hope I can contribute a bit. Peace all.

Regards
    Les
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I appreciate ALL of the info, folks.

thanks!
    Quote Quote