VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

I bought an AMSTRAD DR300 DVD+RW recorder (standalone, not PC).
    I cannot read the DVDs it creates on my PC DVD+/-RW drive (type Sony DW-Q58A, UDS2).
    The discs can be read on the standalone recorder, but when I insert them in the PC drive, Windows XP only proposes me to burn or format the disk (which is weird, because it's a DVD+R, so formatting it may not be the brightest thing to do). When looking in the "Properties" of the drive, it tells me it's a DVD+R, but "unmounted", whatever that means.

I need help to read this disk, because I want to burn it onto DVD-Rs everyone can read.

Yours,
    Dpotop
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Finalize the discs.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    Finalize the discs.
    Can I do it if I don't have access to the standalone burner?
    I do have Roxio.

OTOH, is there no way of reading discs that are not finalized? The standalone recorder seemed to have no problem doing it. Do I need special software for doing so?

Thanks,
    Dpotop
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can't finalize it with any software. You can try open the disc with isobuster but it will also probably fail. Search for finalize for more information.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've just tried to use Roxio to finalize the disk.
    My version of Roxio does not have video (DVD authoring) capability, but it offers in "Tools" a "Finalize disk" option, which I tried. It doesn't work, the error message being "this is not an R disk". I can assure you it is, and I have already tried two brands of blanks.

Interesting enough, Roxio sees the data on the disk (1.6G of data), but I don't know how to recover it...

Yours,
    Dpotop
    Quote Quote  
  6. You finalize it in DVD Recorder (the AMSTRAD device).
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the replies.

I hoped there is another solution, because I'm not home right now, so the AMSTRAD is not accessible.

Yours,
    Dpotop
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had the same thing happen to me and I puzzled over it before remembering that the disc was not not finalized. My recorder instructions are very plain in stating the disc CANNOT be read in ANY other dvd player unless finalized. Always 'finalize' before removing from your stand-alone recorder unless you are going to add more later. If it is a +/- RW, then your recorder should allow the disc to be 'unfinalized' - mine does.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'd try isobuster as Baldrick suggested.

I've used it to recover information from unfinalized discs.

It doesn't always work, but you can try it for free.
    Quote Quote