VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi!
    I'm trying to use ConvertXtoDVD to encode my 16:9 video avi files from Premiere Pro, but when I import them into ConvertXtoDVD, it says they have aspect ratio 1,25, which is wrong, and when I then import the encoded file to Encore to build the dvd, the aspect ratio is wrong. It is squeezed from the sides. The avi files are really true 16:9, I have checked them.
    What to do? "tv format" is set to 16:9 in ConvertXtoDVD.
    All tips about good encoding programs are welcome. Any experiences from encoding directly in the Premiere export? I am rather time-pressed, since we have our first film showing soon and the dvd have to be finished then.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    try using auto select under tv size option. This should create flags (make it anarmorphic to adjust both tv sizes)
    Otherwise the squeezed video will be stretched out by the widesscreen TV anyway.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why are you using ConvertXtoDVD to do this ?

Export them from Premiere as DVD compliant mpeg2, then author with GUIForDVDAuthor.

ConvertXtoDVD is for converting low quality downloaded avi files, not for authoring quality material that can be better done using proper tools. Hell, I like ConvertXtoDVD. I recommend it a lot. It is the best at what it does. But it is not designed to do what you are doing.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, this time I am looking for a fast encoding solution, but I am really also looking for a stable batch encoding program. Can you use your own Photshop menus in GUIForDVDAuthor and have multiple buttons, chapters and so on? It's not the most simple type of program, I mean? Can you have a second audio track and a subtitle track? If not, what do you recommend for these needs? This time I have like seven 16:9 films of totally 1.45 hour, and one is to have a second audio track.
    Quote Quote  
  5. - second audio track. No problem (if the track is DVD compliant)
    - subtitle track: No problem. If you want to use MuxMan as authoring engine, the subtitles must be in the binary SUP format. With dvdauthor as authoring engine also text based formats (sub, srt...) are possible, but formating is limited.
    - own Photshop menus: I don't use Photoshop myself (it's just to expensive!). GfD can use any jpg, gif, png or bmp image as background and buttons as transparent gif files. These may probably also created with Photoshop. But GfD cannot use layered Photoshop files like other (commercial) authoring applications (I'm quite sure you would have to pay if you use this format...)
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks borax and guns1ginger.
    Any good mpeg2encoder except Premiere? I mean a good one. Which of all the TMPGEnc products is the encoder? I get confused by all their products.
    Is there any good and reliable GUI encoder?
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Tmpgenc Xpress or the older tmpgenc plus.

Personally, I would look at HCEnc. It's free, and much faster. Or CCE Basic.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks.
    I was also recommended MainConcept MPEG Encoder 1.5 (it costs 170$). Anyone has tried it?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I tried out the MainConcept, but, no, I didn't like it. Someone said it has a bug also (latest version)
    Also tried the TMPEGEnc Xpress, it was nicer.
    Quote Quote