VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hello, kinda new to this....

I have been using Nero Vison Express (came bundled with my DVD burner) to author pre-edited (Windows MovieMaker) *.avi files to DVD. I am only making simple DVDs, so I am happy with the features I have available.

My main interest is in getting the highest quality video onto the DVD. I have been reading just enough about codecs to really confuse me.

Question:
    Is DVD video quailty dependent on the authoring/burning software used, or on the *.avi to MPEG-2 codec used??? If so, what is the best codec or software?? Can the codec used by Nero be specified??

Thanks All!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Quality relates to source quality and MPeg2 encoder quality. DVD data structure is created by the authoring program.

Ranking MPeg2 encoders can quickly degenerate into a flame war. Nero is in the ~lower third in quality.

MPeg2 encoder selection is influenced by cost and features. Best bang for buck is usually found in bundled encoders supplied with home editing apps. You can get the encoder and good editing/effects plus basic DVD authoring for under $100.

Three popular examples are ULead Video Studio, Adobe Premiere Elements and Sony Vegas Movie Studio. All three use an OEM version of the Mainconcept MPeg2 encoder.

For Divx/Xvid to DVD TMPGEnc and CCE are popular.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    All dvd converters are using mpeg2 but they use different methods to convert to mpeg2. Nero is not one of the better.

If you want better quality be sure that you have good video source first and if you are editing with windows movie maker be sure to save to a format that is not that compressed like dv-avi. Then use a good standalone encoder like mainconcept mpeg encoder, procoder, hc encoder, tmpgenc and convert to dvd mpeg. Last author and burn the dvd mpeg with a good authoring tool like tmpenc dvd author, dvd-lab, dvdauthorgui. Or use an all-in.one tool with a good encoder like Ulead DVD Workshop, Adobe Encore DVD or Tmpgenc dvd author.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Save yourself the time and headaches and buy a DVD player that plays divx files. Walmart sells one for only $39.99.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pinetop
    Save yourself the time and headaches and buy a DVD player that plays divx files. Walmart sells one for only $39.99.
    So you know for a fact that your Walmart player handles pre-edited (Windows MovieMaker) *.avi files ? I would also assume when the OP says " I am happy with the features I have available" that he's talking about menus and chapters.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MysticE
    Originally Posted by pinetop
    Save yourself the time and headaches and buy a DVD player that plays divx files. Walmart sells one for only $39.99.
    So you know for a fact that your Walmart player handles pre-edited (Windows MovieMaker) *.avi files ? I would also assume when the OP says " I am happy with the features I have available" that he's talking about menus and chapters.
    WMM only edits video (Many formats in, DV-AVI or WMV export).
    It has no authoring capability.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks to all of you! The response has been very helpful. It'll take me a bit to digest this all and check out the different options.

A request for clarification of something Baldrick wrote.
    >>>
    If you want better quality be sure that you have good video source first and if you are editing with windows movie maker be sure to save to a format that is not that compressed like dv-avi.
    <<<

Is he saying dv-avi is compressed and should not be used, or dv-avi is an example of a format that is not compressed?? My understanding is that it is not compressed; this is what I have been saving to.

MysticE:
    You are correct in what I mean about features. Free software gives me sufficient 'features', but I am not afraid to pay for good video quality.

Thanks again to all!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DV-AVI is a good source to have going into an MPEG-2 encoder. It is a compressed format, but much less so than other "lossy" codecs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kevo777
    DV-AVI is a good source to have going into an MPEG-2 encoder. It is a compressed format, but much less so than other "lossy" codecs.
    My understanding after looking some more is that it is exactly what comes off the cam; it is compressed in the sense that the cam compresses the video stream before writing it to the tape (miniDV).

Or am I still confused?? I there an even better format to capture to and doing NL editing with before going to MPEG-2?

Thanks again
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You are correct. A DV-AVI file is bit-for-bit identical to what's on the DV tape. With that in mind there is no better format to capture with. I don't know exact mechanics of it all, but yes the compression happens at the source before it is "printed" to tape.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DV <--- great info here
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    [quote="Baldrick"]Then use a good standalone encoder like mainconcept mpeg encoder, procoder, hc encoder, tmpgenc and convert to dvd mpeg. Last author and burn the dvd mpeg with a good authoring tool like tmpenc dvd author, dvd-lab, dvdauthorgui.

O.K. I've tried to do a bit more homework...

I understand that HCenc is going to create an MPEG2. I also understand that DVDAuthorgui can't handle DVD-ready MPEG2 files. Is there such thing as a non-DVD-ready MPEG2 file? What is HCenc going to create? Are these two tools a good combination?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  12. I also understand that DVDAuthorgui can't handle DVD-ready MPEG2 files.

Where'd you get that? Or did you mean to say it can't handle non-DVD compliant files? It's an authoring app. It accepts DVD compliant M2Vs fresh out of your encoder, and authors them for DVD. Yes, HCEnc and DVDAuthorGUI are a good combo.

HCEnc accepts only AviSynth script files and D2Vs, though. Fine for most people.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono
    I also understand that DVDAuthorgui can't handle DVD-ready MPEG2 files.

Where'd you get that? Or did you mean to say it can't handle non-DVD compliant files? It's an authoring app. It accepts DVD compliant M2Vs fresh out of your encoder, and authors them for DVD. Yes, HCEnc and DVDAuthorGUI are a good combo.

HCEnc accepts only AviSynth script files and D2Vs, though. Fine for most people.
    I got that straight out of the comments section for DVDAuthorgui. I guess I'm just trying to reconcile what appear to me (pretty green at this) to be two conflicting statements. I guess demuxing an MPEG2 isn't the same as recoding it? Or maybe what comes out of HCEnc is not muxed, and the particular reviewer had a muxed MPEG2?? Does that make any sense??

Thanks! Your confirmation of using the 2 tools together was very helpful. I know about AviSynth. Downloaded it last night along with HCEnc, but haven't had a chance to experiment yet.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think I'm slowly starting to answer my own questions. I finally found M2V and MP2 in the Glossary... an MPEG2 video elementary stream and an MPEG2 audio elementary stream respectively. Clearly these are the required inputs for DVDAuthorgui. I haven't found it yhet, but I assume these are the outputs from HCEnc, as opposed to a muxed MPEG2 stream.

An I getting there? (Thanks for your patience)
    oh the movie never ends...
    Quote Quote  
  15. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Actually, you are learning fairly quickly.

I believe HC is a video only encoder. You can demux (Separate out) your audio from your edited video and process it separately, then add it in when you author to your encoded MPEG-2 file. I use ffmpeggui because it's easy for conversion to AC3 audio. Aften is faster. Lot's of ways to demux. I use Virtual Dub mod for that most of the time.

All this will probably seem like a lot of parts and pieces that have to be put together for everything to work, but you will end up with a far better understanding of how it all functions and usually better quality DVDs. And when you have done it once or twice and settled on the settings that work for you, it gets much easier. The setups may take a few minutes, but HC and Avisynth are fast in processing and very versatile.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Yes, I agree, don't go the easier and inferior WinAVI or Nero route. While this way may take longer to learn to do it right, it'll pay big dividends later with better quality encodes, and the self-satisfaction gained from having mastered a more difficult learning curve.

Yes, HCEnc only does video. Handle the audio separately and bring together the audio and video during authoring. Also, since you're in the US, you probably don't want to use MP2 audio, but AC3.
    Quote Quote  
  17. A newbie who has actually looked something up in the Glossary! Hallelujah, set off the fireworks!

With your willingness to research and learn, you will soon be creating higher-quality video, easier and simpler.

The muxing process simply adds audio and video together, think of them as woven. There should not be much variation in different progs doing this, but there is.

Good suggestions and good program choices. You will go far, grasshopper.

Keep on truckin'.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Then use a good standalone encoder like mainconcept mpeg encoder, procoder, hc encoder, tmpgenc and convert to dvd mpeg. Last author and burn the dvd mpeg with a good authoring tool like tmpenc dvd author, dvd-lab, dvdauthorgui. Or use an all-in.one tool with a good encoder like Ulead DVD Workshop, Adobe Encore DVD or Tmpgenc dvd author.

Does anyone know if TMPGEnc DVD Author uses the same MPG2 coding engine as the old trusty TMPGEnc? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    TDA is just a authoring program. Maybe TMPGEnc 4.0 XPress? But I'm assuming it also uses the same TMPGEnc encoder engine, maybe a little fine tuning added.

I use TMPGEnc Plus encoder and TDA 1.6 and it works fine for me.
    Quote Quote  
  20. TDA is just a authoring program.

You can import non-DVD-Video ready files into TDA to create a DVD-Video, so I'm just curious.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks! You guys are awesome. I'm trying to do my own research and not bother y'all so much, but there's so much information out there, sometimes I need to be pointed in the right direction, or have some blanks filled in. Sometime I get answers to questions I haven't even asked (See below) and that really helps. Thanks again.

Manono threw me a loop with the AC3 vs. MP2 comment, but I think this link put me back on track. Many of my DVD's end up in Argentina or Germany, so as far as those go, I can go either way. http://www.transcoding.org/cgi-bin/transcode?AC3_Vs._MP2
    Quote Quote