VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. My 1 year old LiteON 5005 is starting to act strange. It will record fine to a brand new never used before Verbatim DVD-Rw or Verbatim +Rw the first time. These discs will play fine in any of my DVD players and rip fine on my computer using DVD Decrypter.

However if I record to it a second time after doing an erase it will either not finalize properly (-Rw) or will not load after completion in my LiteOn or any of my 3 DVD players as well as my Toshiba DR2 recorder. If I attempt to rip these discs on any of my computers using DVD Decrypter I get nothing but read errors. Scanning the media with Nero shows there are bad sectors. If I do a full erase of the media via Nero and burn something to the disc on my computer, a Nero scan reports no problems with the media. IF I then attempt to use these discs in my LiteON recorder I encounter the same problems...

These very same Verbatim -Rw discs will then record fine in my-Toshiba DR2 recorder...

I've also tried other +Rw and -Rw media with the same results. I've tried a few Sony DVD-R
    media and they appear to work.

I'm not using any hacked firmware on my LiteOn 5005. I've tried cleaning via a DVD cleaning disc (ran it 5 times) and a can of compressed air. No luck.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Kenmo
    Quote Quote  
  2. Try using different media -rw +rw and -R and +R.
    the answer is obviously in something you are doing or not doing on the liteon..

Actually I was really thinking about Edie from desp. Hous.wv
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I did try different media. I have some older Verbatim DVD+Rws (these are not the new Verbatims mentioned above) and some generic +Rws that worked fine previously. Now they are giving the problem I mentioned in my first post....
    Quote Quote  
  4. I had a similar problem with a liteon 5001 a few years ago.
    Liteon Tech Support issued an rma and replaced the unit.
    Told me the dvd burner had a weak laser.
    Quote Quote  
  5. kenmo

Take alook at this this post
    http://www.techolio.com/forums/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3386

While it speaks to the +RW it may pertain to a -RW [which I do not use]
    Note while I use Nero to do a full rrase I Do Not Let Nero Format the Disk

I have two 5005 units among the others

Let me know if you have any success I'm intrested to know

PS
    One of the 5005 has a PC burner that was replaced. The other has the original, both work fine
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks muchly for the link....however I'm not sure what it is telling me as I can't make heads or tails of what the poster is saying....nor the point he is trying to make
    Quote Quote  
  7. The poster is I, but it might not be clear as I posted a number of problems with a unit not recognizing a disk.

The Liteon Erase in tools will quick erase and than format the disk to the correct format for the Liteon/ilo units

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    [With this, a +RW disk may not always appear, to the unit as empty and a complete screw-up follows]
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

Nero will do a full erase The full erase is fine and is what should be done

Do Not Let Nero Format the disk. If you do, the disk will most likely be rejected by the 5005 as [Invalid Disk]

After Nero is finished doing a full erase, put the disk in the 5005. It should recognize the disk as a blank disk and prepare it. The unit should go through a series of lights back and forth across the display. [Many call the Nightrider Bit]

When done the disk should be OK, However with the disk still in the unit go to Tools and erase it. Again this will also format it. Doing this is duplication but is insurance.

The disk should work

Some on the link I gave covers some other problems as, What if Nero doesn’t recognize the disk etc

PS
    I use Verbatim +RW disks I have not used a -RW
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've had 3 different 5005s of which none would erase -RW but would erase +RW fine. To re-use -RW in these 5005s a full erase using Nero is needed. It sounds as if your unit has developed this malady for both RW types.
    Quote Quote  
  9. While I do not use -RW disks
    I put a much used one in a 5005 with the orig drive and one with a replaced drive.
    Both erased the -RW and a used +RW disk with no problems
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would bet the farm that your drive is in the process of failing.
    A good divorce beats a bad marriage.
    Now I have two anniversaries I celebrate!
    Quote Quote  
  11. otpw

I would agree that a drive failure is definitely possible with these units
    Based on the initial post that the drive worked ok on a new RW disk but would not recognize a used one, I would give the method I posted a try, as this problem has come with with me using replaced drives. All mine have been replaced except 0ne 5005.
    That unit has an almost new 813s and is working fine. If it presented any other problems that could not be corrected by the method posted or was not operator error related.
    I would not fool with it and replace it.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Drive failure may be a possibility, but drive replacement may not fix the erase -RW problem. I replaced the drive in 1 of the 5005s, but the no erase -RW problem persists. This seems to indicate that the issue may be with some other hardware/firmware other than the optical drive.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I hate to suggest it but this may be a media problem. I have had this problem with older HP +RW media but not with newer HP +RW media. A Nero erase on my PC seems to rescue the media.

Verbatim is a good brand but everyone has bad batches of media.

My LiteOn 5005 really is at its best with write-once media, and burns the cheapest crap I can find, reliably with capatibility to all the players I have tried except old SONY players, but nothing I burn on my PC works on old SONYs either.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a 2005 and found in the past that the only way to get good results with RW media was to first do a full erase on my Pioneer burner in my PC. I stopped using RW media a year ago because the price of write once media is so low now that RW isn't worth the trouble.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by oldandinthe way
    I hate to suggest it but this may be a media problem. I have had this problem with older HP +RW media but not with newer HP +RW media. A Nero erase on my PC seems to rescue the media.

Verbatim is a good brand but everyone has bad batches of media.

My LiteOn 5005 really is at its best with write-once media, and burns the cheapest crap I can find, reliably with capatibility to all the players I have tried except old SONY players, but nothing I burn on my PC works on old SONYs either.
    I don't think it's media as some of these +Rw media worked fine before in the LiteOn. Any other thoughts?
    Quote Quote  
  16. kenmo

I don't think its media either or firmware as pertains to your orig. post
    Did you try the routine I posted on this thread and on another form
    Quote Quote  
  17. Yes I did. I could record to the +Rw but none of my computers could read the disc. Nor could the LiteON.... It as a Fuji +Rw that I've used before, proably 20 times.
    Quote Quote  
  18. In your first post I understood the disk was not recognized but now Is. If so thats a first step
    -------------------------------------------------

Do I understand

You could Record to the disk after you went through the steps in my post

You could not play the disk on the unit that recordered it or your other unit and computers
    At least the unit the recording was made on should have played it
    It sounds as nothing you have will play it. - SO
    How do you know it recorded.
    Do the computers and other unit now regognize the disk--AS What
    Quote Quote  
  19. The recoding completes on the LiteOn and I can play it back once the recording stops. NOT one of my 4 computer burners will read it....

However once I take the disc out and put it back into the LiteOn, the LiteOn will not read the disc. It comes up as invalid disc and on other occassions the Liteon will display "preparing disc"...
    Quote Quote  
  20. kenmo

The problem may very well be a DVD drive that is in the process if failing.

By your posts I do not think so. I gather you are not using labels
    If a NEW + or - RW disk works ok in all your units and PC
    Than the same disk, properly erased and formated should work again.

A failing drive, a disk not burned correctly, could cause a disk to stall, etc. while playing.
    I have never seen a unit to fail as your posts indicate [But I guess there is always a first]

The drive can be replaced. It is a standard IDE . Most liteon PC drives below 1693 can be used as a replacement. If newer than 1693 they will work but not have a Fast Forward function. If a drive from one of your PC units might work, you could try it as a check
    There are a number of sites and posts that cover this
    Quote Quote  
  21. Thanks again for the reply.

No, I don't use labels. Never have, never will.

Are you suggesting a non LiteOn drive would work like a Pioneer or LG or...???

Cheers

Ken
    Quote Quote  
  22. Reports have said that some Sony or Samsung drives work but I have no knowledge that they will
    Both Liteon and Samsung made DVD drives for Sony

All the liteon drives from 1693s and earlier will work on all functions,

I have used those from 4xx to a 1693. As used in the Liteon/ilo the drive speed is not a factor as the burn speed is controlled.

It was verified that the Benq 1620 worked ok but not later ones

Later liteon ones such as 160p and newer work ok but the Fast forward function does not work and its use will lock up the unit

If you have other drives and they are IDE, try them you can't hurt anything. Even if they only partially work you might be able to correct the problem.

These two sites have info on drives that will work and info on replacing them both outside and inside the case

http://www.techolio.com/forums/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=7&sid=9938baab9feee6baeca495671085841c

http://www.normediasolutions.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=12

Liteon and ilo are basicly the same. Liteon made the ilo
    Quote Quote  
  23. Has anyone successfully used a non Liteon burner on this unit?
    Quote Quote  
  24. kenmo

No
    and I do not think that it has been done
    It may be possible but I don't think anyone has tried different makes of drives for this unit that I have seen

I don't like PM messages but would send you one on this subject and a replacement drive availability
    If wanted
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It has been done successfully with a few non LiteOn burners. See my posts at https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=327915.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Thanks kindly LCSHG & Bevills1.... I have no fear of trying this with my own LiteOn, just thought I'd ask... Just that these last few evenings I'm usually quite busy with other things...

Again thanks kindly....

Kenmo
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    FYI check post #26 at http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=209152&page=2&pp=25
    to find the Sony DRU-120C with MYR5 firmware seems to be an exception to the freeze on fast forward problem for post LiteOn 1693 models and lacks only VCD/SVCD recording to be a fully functional replacement. Note the DRU-120C is rebadged LiteOn SHM-165P6S, but there must be something about the Sony firmware which eliminates the freeze on fast forward problem with other post 1693 drives.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Is it being said here and on cdfreaks that some sony drives like the DRU-120C will operate as a Liteon 165 [no FF] and with firmware NYR5 will operate on all functions including FF

EDiT
    The use of a Benq 1620 is documented and has been used a year ago [try finding one]
    Quote Quote  
  29. I have a LG 4160B in an external USB enclosure hooked up to my SUSE 10.2 computer. I took the LG out of the external case and put that drive into my LiteON 5005. Actually I removed the top case cover from the LiteOn and removed the ide ribbon & power cable from the LiteON's drive, leaving the LiteOn still in the case. I placed the LG ontop of the LiteON drive and plugged it into the power & ide cables. And left the case cover off...

The LG was previously in one of my Windows computers and had been region set to region 1.... When I first powered on the dvd recorder, I got a series of blue and green noise on my computer, however after 5 seconds, I got the LiteON green screen. I placed a DVD+Rw into the LG drive. I was able to erase it but I got the "FAIL" message. However I was able to record and playback a 5 minute tv segment.... It played back flawlessly. FF seemed to work but was a bit choppy...

I tried another generic +Rw and it went to 100% and then displayed the same "FAIL" message after erasing, however I was able to record another 2 minute test segment. And it played back as well. I tried a Maxell +Rw, however after erasing it, it was identified as a DATA DISC. A second erase attempt gave me the exact same results as with the generic +Rws. Again I was able to record a 5 minute tv clip and play it back...

I then tried a Verbatim -Rw. Which I erased to 100% and recieved no warnings... I did a quick preparation which seemed to be considerably faster then the old LiteOn drive... Again I recorded a clip and it played back fine.

I ripped the first +Rw to my Windows computers hard drive using Dvd Decrypter with no problems...

I think the erasure of +Rw on the LG maybe due to the fact the LG4160B does not support dvd book typing and perhaps the LiteOn drive does s bitsetting when it erases an +Rw... Don't know if that's accurate but I'll toss that out there....

I'll be doing some more testing of this setup and let you know how I make out... But tonight I've got a date with my TV and my Dad to watch the Sabres-Rangers hockey game...

Cheers

Kenmo
    Quote Quote  
  30. While I was watching last night's Sabres-Rangers hockey game, I had my Liteon 5005 using the LG burner record ABC's LOST... I recorded it to a Fuji +Rw. I was able to rip the LOST episode on the Fuji +Rw to my computer fine using DVD Decrypter. No read errors. Previously this disc would record fine but would have over 1000 read errors when riping to computer....
    Quote Quote