VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A clip was saved in the same codec (DivX 6.5.1) as the file from which it was extracted.

When trying to append that clip back to the original file, the following error was encountered: 'Cannot append segment "name of the extracted file": The video streams have incompatible formats. (Mismatch detected in opaque codec data at byte 20 of the format data.)'

Neither file has any audio; the only glaring difference is in the video data rates,
    1033 kbps for the original file and 1037 for the clip.

There was a suggestion elsewhere for an append problem to do with changing one of the AVI preferences but it did not work on this problem.

Two items that might help figure it out or perhaps just add to the complexity:

1) - if the same clip is saved using the XviD codec, the clip will append to the original file. (This seemed like the answer, "just use that codec", except that if the original file is in XviD, the clip will not append, nor in DivX.)

2) - if the clip is saved using direct stream copy, the clip appends but does not have the same bitrate as the original file, so that, in itself, doesn't seem to be the culprit.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, although it would also be appreciated if they were described for a newcomer. Does "opaque codec data" have a generally accepted meaning??
    Quote Quote  
  2. you may have figured this one out or given up by now, but if not...

'Cannot append segment "name of the extracted file": The video streams have incompatible formats. (Mismatch detected in opaque codec data at byte 20 of the format data.)'

this almost always means they're using different codecs. are you absolutely sure they're the same? you should double check using GSpot, as VDub's File Properties can sometime show just which codec was used to decode the file, not what it was encoded as. for instance, if you have DivX 6.8 codec, it will often decode a DivX 5 file, and VDub shows it as DivX 6.8

if it appends okay using direct stream copy, just do that, then open THAT file in VDub and reencode, if needed. bitrate shouldn't matter, just codec.
    darkflux
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The easiest option when VDub won't append is use avidemux.

I got the exact same error (byte 22) trying to add an intro I made last week with an episode I captured this week. They were both created by the divx 6.8.4 codec at the same resolution and settings.

Avidemux appended the files with no problem and smart rendered the finished file.
    Quote Quote  
  4. good to know. i've also noticed that VDub plays nicer when you use files with standard settings, i.e. when the files have 30.268 fps, simply adjust them to 30fps (which you can do without reencoding), append them, then swap back to 30.268 so the audio matches...this and other "non-standard" to "standard" settings changes work occasionally.
    darkflux
    Quote Quote