VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just downloaded ffmpegX and while trying to download the binaries, the mpeg2enc. only comes up as "Greek" text. There is nothing to download. I am copying and pasting in Safari the link from the installer. Where can I get the binary so I can finish installing it and check out this software? I am the Administrator on this computer.

Thanks for the help.

Rich
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try Option-clicking on the d/l link
    Kind regards,
    m
    "The Macintosh may only have 10% of the market, but it is clearly the top 10%"
    --Douglas Adams
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried the Control-click and Option-click methods as described in the instructions or/and the forums and this is what I download: mpeg2enc.intel.txt. It shows in the window as "Greek" text I also have a PPC not Intel, so the binary wouldn't possibly work.
    I searched for almost 2 hours to find another source for the binary but was unsuccessful. Any more ideas???

Thanks for any help.

Rich
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by zaque2004
    I tried the Control-click and Option-click methods as described in the instructions or/and the forums and this is what I download: mpeg2enc.intel.txt.
    If it is 501.480 bytes in size, then that's the one. It is Safari that renamed it ".txt", but the ffmpegX Installer can use it all the same. Just continue as instructed.
    It shows in the window as "Greek" text
    You're looking at compiled program code. It's a Unix executable file, not meant to be viewed in text editors or browser windows. No problem there.
    I also have a PPC not Intel, so the binary wouldn't possibly work.
    Incorrect. It is a Universal binary, for both PPC and Intel.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried it again but it still did not like the .txt suffix. I ssnooped further and found it at the following page: http://mjpeg.sourceforge.net/MacOS/ and Option-clicked the . osx.cvs.tar.gz That gave me a downloak i opened and gave me a file with the mpeg2enc in a file that ffmpegX liked.

I don't know if th's the latest and greatest, but it seems to be working. I must have sometihing installed that the binary doesn't like.

Thanks for the help all.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by zaque2004
    Option-clicked the . osx.cvs.tar.gz
    No, that version is wrong. You must use the other as said above, no matter the .txt extension (which like the filename has zero impact on the content of the file).
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    this is not greek it's a binary file handle like a text file
    the txt extension isn't safari's fault... is a server fault... or a webmaster fault
    .intel is not a standard extension and the server can't correctly handle it... so it handle the binary file like a text file

paste the url http://mjpeg.sourceforge.net/MacOS/mpeg2enc.intel into safari's address

press and hold alt then press enter or return, safari send the file to the download manager and download it

a.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by neumann
    the txt extension isn't safari's fault... is a server fault... or a webmaster fault
    .intel is not a standard extension and the server can't correctly handle it... so it handle the binary file like a text file
    We're getting off-topic here, but I respectfully disagree. The right MIME type for unknown file types is "application/octet-stream", not "text/plain". Browsers should present the user with an option to download the unknown file, not by default show it in a browser window, and when downloaded, certainly not add a guessed extension. In this respect, Firefox does a better job.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by neumann
    Anyway, the correct fix in this situation is to consider this .txt as a Safari artefact, and to install the file as it is. Another great fix, but which takes 2 seconds more and is purely cosmetic, is to rename the file and delete the .txt extension. The file on the server cannot be renamed as it is already referenced with that name everywhere, and I didn't choose that name either.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I got these messages post factum from my last post. The version I downloaded seems to work fine, I conveted several test files just fine. However today it wanted me to re-install. So I tried the .txt, and it installed today. Don't know why.

I'm sorry for all the trouble, but I'm rather a novice at the computer, and especially anything to do with music or video (I'm a virgin here). I do grow great tomatoes and peppers though.

I do appreciate the care and help you guys give here.

Rich
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by major
    Originally Posted by neumann
    Anyway, the correct fix in this situation is to consider this .txt as a Safari artefact, and to install the file as it is. Another great fix, but which takes 2 seconds more and is purely cosmetic, is to rename the file and delete the .txt extension. The file on the server cannot be renamed as it is already referenced with that name everywhere, and I didn't choose that name either.

hey Administrator,

I am new to these downloads...Umm....I have everything except for this mpeg2enc...I did exactly what you instructed and for some odd reason I can not seem to encode my .rmvb files to .avi files??? Help, please. I have a MAC OS/X....

Okay, I watch to convert the .rmvb to a certain file ext, that can let me read the subtitles and view it alot better, so, it won't be blurry. Please help. Thanks.
    -GG
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Copy link to Firefox, not Safari
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Connecticut's Fabulous Vacation Shoreline
    Search Comp PM
    Is THIS what I'm supposed to end up with? I know forums like this take the attitude that they're populated by the rugged self-sustaining mountain men of the Wild, Wild West, and if you don't know code, you shouldn't even BE here, but I was under the impression that there was a "Help" in the URL "VideoHelp.com" -- or is that a misprint? Your instructions for obtaining the necessary "mpeg2enc" are FAR from clear:

"Download mpeg2enc from Sourceforge.net. Option-click the link for a direct download (in order to prevent Safari from trying to interpret the binary as something to display in a window). Leave the downloaded file where it is, don't move it, your default download location is fine. Don't rename it (actually the filename doesn't matter at all; you could rename it to "binary1.file" and the installer would fix it while copying).
    Check that the file is 501,480 bytes in size."

Those instructions, IMHO, are convoluted and self-contradictory: "Download mpeg2enc from Sourceforge.net. Option-click the link for a direct download (in order to prevent Safari from trying to interpret the binary as something to display in a window)." Download FIRST, then option-click the resulting file? I tried (everything I tried was tried in both Safari and Firefox) control-clicking the link to copy the URL, pasted the URL in a new window, and option-clicked on the URL in the URL window. NADA. I tried the mac-users intuitive action when coming across a link -- I clicked the link. Both times I got a browser window full of hash.

I started searching around, and found the trick, which you could have easily added to your instructions AND the instructions for ffmpegX for Mac, posted by member mhale62, on April 14th 2007 -- only 6 years ago, so I huess it hasn't reached ffmpegX world headquarters' in-box yet: The trick, of course, is Option-clicking on the d/l link in the instructions. It's simple when you know what to look for. Your instructions SHOULD read "Option-click the link mpeg2enc from Sourceforge.net. and choose "Save as..." for a direct download"

Considering the small avalanche of likewise confused people, who, like I, have wasted a couple hours trying to figure out how to do this, you might want to make the change to the instructions both for accessing the correct mpeg2enc and in the Installation instructions for ffmpegX.

This is what I got. PLEASE tell me if it's the correct file or not:

Kind: Document
    Size: 501,480 bytes (504 KB on disk)
    Created: Sunday, April 16, 2006
    Created: Sunday, April 16, 2006
    Where from: http://mjpeg.sourceforge.net/MacOS/mpeg2enc.intel
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	mpeg2enc.intel.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	16794  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bartbrn View Post
    This is what I got. PLEASE tell me if it's the correct file or not.
    You have the correct file.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Case View Post
    Well, that's fantastic! I got all the little fiddly bits D/Ld and expanded, put in my admin name, ffmpegX popped up and looked like a real app -- so I tried 4 differently-encoded files: .mp4. .mov, .flv, and .avi. Dropped each one on the ffmpegX window, chose a DIFFERENT file format to convert to every time, and, all 12 times (I got tired), EVERY SINGLE file, no matter what converted file format I chose, I got a file that said it would play in QuickTime, was ridiculously smaller than the original file, and when double-clicked, would display the Quicktime controls in the usual black window, just as if it were real. No error message from ffmpegX.

However, pressing "Play" button in the Quicktime controls produced absolutely nothing -- ALL TWELVE TIMES, WITH SEVERAL DIFFERENT CONVERTED FILE FORMATS. This is getting more and more tedious with half-answers and "fixes that "seem" to work, but don't. I've just looked up at the clock in the menu bar and discovered that once again, like the last time I tried to get ffmpegX to work, I've wasted 4 hours and gotten nothing except a puzzle. The app LOOKS like it works, DINGS like it's worked, yet never produces a playable file, no matter which file format you start out with or which file format you convert to.

Attached is a screen grab of my ffmpegX folder that has everything in it but the application. If anyone can see where I've messed up -- because, of course, NO ONE else has had a problem getting ffmpegX to work right, pray tell me where I've made my error. The actual ffmpegX app is in the Applications folder, where I thought the so-called "Installation guide" at

http://www.ffmpegx.com/download.html

TOLD me it should be.

Any hot tips would be greatly appreciated.

mid-2011 27" iMac, 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 12 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 RAM, Mac OS X 10.7.5 Lion
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	The-wholeffmpegXwindow.jpg
Views:	511
Size:	232.4 KB
ID:	16798  

Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. Now, when you get a moment in your busy day, look at the last message I posted, and try to explain to me why I have an ffmpegX that LOOKS like an app, dings like an app, displays messages like an app, but produces files in any format you want that DO NOT PLAY, AND CAN NOT PLAY because whatever ffmpegX did to the original files, it most certainly did NOT convert them to anything playable.

I'm glad I paused before succumbing to my good will at finding I had at least ONE correct file, and in my gratitude dropping you some money via the PayPal link. If and WHEN you can help me get ffmpegX working correctly, I'll gladly pay your ransom money, although the FOUR hours I've wasted today, at my old IT contract rate of $US45/hour, says YOU owe ME $US180.

Why does this program and its forum HAVE to be so "amateur hour?"
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Still waiting for help on ffmpegX. Why do I have something that looks like the ffmpegX application that makes all the right moves and sounds, but cannot produce playable files? It seems all I'm getting ffmpegX supposedly "converts" one file format to another is an empty QuickTime wrapper.

Could someone PLEASE help me out here?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there some magic key I haven't yet discovered that will get some response to my utterly broken ffmpegX? Would it help if I paid in advance, without finding out if this program actually works -- which, so far, it does not? I have asked, politely, I have asked, less politely, I have sent a private message, I have posted MANY times in this forum over the weekend and yesterday (see #17 https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/267113-mpeg2enc?p=2227614&viewfull=1#post2227614), all to no avail.

Are you guys interested in ffmpegX as a money-making Mac application, or is this just a hobby for you? If you're not going to provide support, except in this "many voices, little help" forum, why should anyone pay actual money for this putative App?

I have gathered all the files the instructions told me to add. I have followed the convoluted instructions as well as my meager brain can follow such poorly-written, scatter-shot mush: "oh, yeah, 13 steps ago, you should have already installed the bfstlyx.bs component you'll find on this Ukranian page. We hope it's up-to-date, but if it's not, then completely uninstall ffmpegX and re-do the entire installation from square one with THIS file from this Bechuanaland site, and THIS file that's part of the 'Magic Xylophone' app, and should be found 130 folder levels down in the System 7 version preferences for MacDraw."

Either tell me you're NOT going to help -- at which point I'll cut my time and energy losses and ditch all this ffmpegX abomination -- or give me some USEFUL answers to post #17.

Thanks so much for your prompt assistance.

Bart Brown
    Last edited by bartbrn; 19th Mar 2013 at 12:15.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Is there some magic key I haven't yet discovered that will get some response?
    You seem to have rather high expectations.
    1/ The ffmpegX sub-forum is part of the more general VideoHelp.com forums. VideoHelp.com is not affiliated with ffmpegX. Videohelp.com only provides this secondary web-presense as a courtesy to the users of ffmpegX.
    2/ General rules #4
    On bumping: Try to have some patience, this is a bulletin board, not IRC. It may take some time (e.g., one or two days) before someone can answer your query or question.
    3/ [Why was ffmpegX created?] The result of developing ffmpegX was good enough for the developer, and making it available also seemed useful to others, so the developer spent some time improving ffmpegX and creating the official website. Other somewhat similar great apps now exist. Please check them, as they could be better for you either in general or for specific uses. Maybe ffmpegX is not for you.
    4/ ffmpegX is shareware and it is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but without any warranty.
    5/ The developer has not logged in on VideoHelp.com after October 2011. Interpret that however you want.
    6/ I am not the developer of ffmpegX. I am just a fellow user. On my spare time, I may post and/or respond on this forum, at my own discretion.

Originally Posted by bartbrn
    Are you guys interested in ffmpegX as a money-making Mac application, or is this just a hobby for you? If you're not going to provide support, except in this "many voices, little help" forum, why should anyone pay actual money for this putative App?
    The developer is one person, not a team. It is/was most likely a hobby. It most certainly started as such. The developer says to try the app before registering, and pay the shareware fee (only) if you do find it useful.

Originally Posted by bartbrn
    I have gathered all the files the instructions told me to add. I have followed the [..] instructions. [...]
    I have read all your posts in this topic, and I could not find a clue as to why it is not working for you. (When a user has problems with the installation, there usually is an error message that provides some kind of clue. Without such a message, troubleshooting is much harder for me.)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

When you start an encoding, the ffmpegX Progress window should pop up, displaying the a horizontal progress bar. This bar usually starts as a "moving barber pole", until the app can estimate a percentage. After that, the bar should "fill" from left to right, until the process is finished.
    At the right side you should see a white "i" (for "information") in a blue circle and a cross ("x") in a grey circle. Those two act as buttons.
    The "x" button allows the user to stop a running process.
    The "i" button gives access to the Process Information window, aka log to the current process.
    When a conversion successfully finishes, the "x" symbol changes into a magnifying glass symbol. Clicking the magnifying glass symbol should open the folder with the output file in the Finder.
    A few errors give so little feedback to the app, that the app thinks the process is finished, although not successfully. In that case, you will see "Finished", but also still the "stop process"/"x" circular button. In such cases, the Process Information log may help diagnose what went wrong.

Please provide the content of the Process Information log for one of your sample conversion attempts. That may help diagnose.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [QUOTE=Case;2228104]
    Is there some magic key I haven't yet discovered that will get some response?
    You seem to have rather high expectations.

I had some expectation that ffmpegX would work. Is that a rather high expectation to your mind?

1/ The ffmpegX sub-forum is part of the more general VideoHelp.com forums. VideoHelp.com is not affiliated with ffmpegX. Videohelp.com only provides this secondary web-presense as a courtesy to the users of ffmpegX.

Why don't you put this in big, bold letters at the top of this page:

"VideoHelp.com is not affiliated with ffmpegX. Videohelp.com only provides this secondary web-presense as a courtesy to the users of ffmpegX."

And something is only a courtesy if it makes matters better, not worse.

I didn't start this thread, I found it here, via Google, and forum.videohelp.com was the number one search return:

1. ffmpegX general discussion - VideoHelp.com Forum

forum.videohelp.com/forums/34-ffmpegX-general-discussion
      Jan 26, 2010 – Talk about anything ffmpegX-related here. ... Sticky: ffmpegX forums in other languages · major · 1; Rating0 ... Sticky: ffmpegX website and online manual · major ...

forum.videohelp.com seemed to have many threads and posts from people who were having the same problems I've been having. There are several other threads on the videohelp forum that revolve around difficulties with ffmpegX. Does it seem beyond the bounds of reason that I would try to find a thread here that looked likely, and post to it?

When I saw that you and Frodo there seemed to be the only ones giving at least some partial answers to people's questions, and saw the cryptic
    "Case

Explorer "

over your vacation photo, and everyone seemed to be pulling their forelocks to you when you gave them a scrap of an answer, I assumed that "explorer" connected to "Case," (which I can only surmise is your cryptic handle here) was some appelation indicating your prime status in this forum, and fell into the misunderstanding that you were some sort of forum leader. My bad, I guess. I also made the obviously moronic mistake of thinking whomever this "Case" was, he/she/they were somehow involved in the actual coding of ffmpegX. I couldn't understand why, if he/she/they were involved in the coding of ffmpegX, they couldn't provide very helpful answers about it.

I also went to the next EIGHT Google returns:
    1. How-To's - ffmpegX

www.ffmpegx.com/howtos.html
      For support, check the FAQ page and the ffmpegX forum. You may also like to sign up the mailing list. Have a suggestion on how to make ffmpegX even more ...

2. Download ffmpegX a DVD, SVCD, VCD, CVD, VOB, DivX, XviD, H ...

www.ffmpegx.com/download.html
      Jan 26, 2008 – For support, check the FAQ page and the ffmpegX forum. You may also like to sign up the mailing list. Have a suggestion on how to make ...

3. ffmpegX

www.ffmpegx.com/
      For support, check the FAQ page and the ffmpegX forum. You may also like to sign up the mailing list. Have a suggestion on how to make ffmpegX even more ...
    4. Mailing list for ffmpegX a DVD, SVCD, VCD, CVD, VOB, DivX, XviD ...

www.ffmpegx.com/mailing.html

5. FAQ for ffmpegX a DVD, SVCD, VCD, CVD, VOB, DivX, XviD, H.264 ...

www.ffmpegx.com/faq.html

6. Register ffmpegX a DVD, SVCD, VCD, CVD, VOB, DivX, XviD, H.264 ...

www.ffmpegx.com/register.html

7. Speed benchmarks for ffmpegX a DVD, SVCD, VCD, CVD, VOB ...

www.ffmpegx.com/benchmarks.html

8. What's new - ffmpegX

www.ffmpegx.com/news.html
    AND, BELIEVE IT OR NOT, AT EACH LINK I WENT TO, I ENDED UP AT SOME VARIATION OF http://www.ffmpegx.com/, AND WHEN I CLICKED ON "FORUM' AT EACH OF THOSE PAGES, BY SOME MISTAKE I MUST HAVE MADE, I ALWAYS ENDED UP AT https://forum.videohelp.com/forums/34-ffmpegX-general-discussion, which is the this forum right here, the one you say has nothing to do with ffmpegX. How did THAT happen?

"VideoHelp.com is not affiliated with ffmpegX."

That's sure hard to tell when every forum link on every ffmpegX page brings you RIGHT HERE.

2/ General rules #4
    On bumping: Try to have some patience, this is a bulletin board, not IRC. It may take some time (e.g., one or two days) before someone can answer your query or question.

Pardon me for bringing this to your attention, but, coming into this forum straight from the Google link, there is very little here that is self-evident. Again, I saw several threads and posts to this (what I mistakenly thought to be) forum concerning ffmpegX, and just stupidly thought "why, here's a place where people are talking about the same problems I'm having with ffmpegX (same problems I had 3 months ago, when I tried to install and use it)... perhaps I can find some help here..." BZZZZT. Wrong again.

"this is a bulletin board, not IRC" Ah, now THERE we have my "rather high expectations." Since it's hard to tell just by the look of a forum site if it's an actual full-time forum, or a "we don't work weekends" forum, and since all the other forums I use are 24/7 forums, even for the tech leaders, I had a rather high expectation that this forum would actually operate more than 5 days a week. Yes, that WAS a rather high -- and mistaken -- expectation. Like I said, if this is a hobby for you Middle-Earthers, and not a serious enterprise, why is THIS the official forum for ffmpegX?

3/ [Why was ffmpegX created?] The result of developing ffmpegX was good enough for the developer, and making it available also seemed useful to others, so the developer spent some time improving ffmpegX and creating the official website.*

*I went to that link, which was pretty much like the other NINE links I went to, and when I clicked on forum, it simply INSISTED on bringing me to https://forum.videohelp.com/forums/34-ffmpegX-general-discussion. Which, again, is this forum right here. You should fix this, so the poor sap looking for the "Official Forum for ffmpegX" doesn't keep getting confused by constant and insuperable redirections to https://forum.videohelp.com/forums/34-ffmpegX-general-discussion. Which, again, is this forum right here, which you say is not the "Official Forum for ffmpegX"

Other somewhat similar great apps now exist. Please check them, as they could be better for you either in general or for specific uses. Maybe ffmpegX is not for you.

Maybe not -- drop the names of some useful substitutes, please/

4/ ffmpegX is shareware and it is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but without any warranty.

Some hope.

5/ The developer has not logged in on VideoHelp.com after October 2011. Interpret that however you want.

I interpret it that this IS, as I thought, totally amateur hour. If "the developer has not logged in on VideoHelp.com after October 2011," where HAS he logged in? The software isn't updating itself.

6/ I am not the developer of ffmpegX. I am just a fellow user. On my spare time, I may post and/or respond on this forum, at my own discretion.

So there really IS no official support of ffmpegX whatsoever.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Congratulations! That last post of yours has probably just annoyed the few Mac users who a) frequent this forum, b) actually have experience with this software and c) who might've been both able and willing to help you!

Considering the sheer number of programs that are talked about here on Videohelp.com, most of which have absolutely no affiliation with Videohelp.com, I think it would be both unreasonable and unrealistic to list them all in big, black letters at the top of each page!

Maybe Safari (or whatever browser you're using) doesn't display the web pages here the same as Internet Explorer and Firefox do on Windows, but on pretty much every forum page I've ever visited on Videohelp.com, there's a fairly large dark-ish red band at the top with the words "VideoHelp.com Forum" in fairly large white letters and just underneath them you'll see the options "Index", "New Posts", "Today's Posts", and "Rules" - that's pretty self-evident, isn't it? Also, down the left side of the screen you've got a whole smorgasbord of links that would very quickly allow even the hardest of thinking to a) get to the Videohelp homepage and b) get an idea of what videohelp.com is all about. On top of that, at the top of each page of posts there's the, for want of a better word, "address" of the thread that you're looking at. To go up a level and see the entire list of topics, including any fixed (Sticky) posts, you just click on the relevent bit of the "address". In other words, it's pretty much the same as most of the other forums out there on the interweb.

Anyway, I know how frustrating it can be when things don't work the way you expect or want them to, and I genuinely hope you do find a solution to your problems, but get over yourself, try not alienating the people who might actually be able to help you, and do try to have a nice day!

p.s. I'm also not in anyway affiliated or associated with VideoHelp.com. I'm just another forum member who has been helped, educated and entertained by some of the other forum members here.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [QUOTE=TimA-C;2228228]Congratulations! That last post of yours has probably just annoyed the few Mac users who
    a) frequent this forum

I was unaware this was a popularity contest

<< b) actually have experience with this software >>

I have yet to hear from any of them, except the Middle Earthers

<< and c) who might've been both able and willing to help you! >>

As I said, I have yet to hear from any of them, except the Middle Earthers, who have been of extremely little help, judging by the gold standard of getting an ffmpegX app that actually DOES what it's supposed to do.

<< Considering the sheer number of programs that are talked about here on Videohelp.com, most of which have absolutely no affiliation with Videohelp.com, I think it would be both unreasonable and unrealistic to list them all in big, black letters at the top of each page!

Maybe Safari (or whatever browser you're using) doesn't display the web pages here the same as Internet Explorer and Firefox do on Windows, but on pretty much every forum page I've ever visited on Videohelp.com, there's a fairly large dark-ish red band at the top with the words "VideoHelp.com Forum" in fairly large white letters and just underneath them you'll see yaddayaddayaddayaddayadda >>

In both Safari and Firefox (thank god there's no longer a Mac version of Internet Exploder), just below the "advertisement of the moment" -- today it's "Mac Video Converter 2013 WonderShare.net Free-Download With Custom & High-Quality Output! WMV AVI FLV MP4 MOV MTS VOB QT etc. AdChoices" -- and directly above "Reply to Thread" (when you're in reply mode) there is a horizontally-arrayed line of nested links:

Home > Forum > ffmpegX for MacOSX > ffmpegX > general discussion > mpeg2enc. > Reply to Thread

In the left "subject link" frame, there is NO reference to ffmpegX whatsoever. I was brought directly into this 7th-level forum for the first time directly from a Google search result (before you jump on your pony and reply, it might be a good idea to read and understand the post to which you THINK you're replying). If YOU were looking for information on ffmpegX, which subject in the left "subject link" frame would YOU be likely to choose? Seeing nothing whatsoever about ffmpegX you might do a site search, and EVERY result -- i just tried it again -- would re-direct you to this forum.

BTW, if you're a PC user, why would you even be interested in a forum concerning "ffmpegX for MacOSX" (the "X" in "ffmpegX" being, even to even the hardest of thinking, the dead giveaway that this is a Mac OSX app, unless you're a troll looking to be "third man in" on a discussion that has nothing to do with you, and TO which you have nothing to contribute, regardless of the "Rah! Rah! Sis-boom-Bah!" jingoism of your endorsement "I'm just another forum member who has been helped, educated and entertained by some of the other forum members here." Your giddy Windows-centric enthusiasm may be the pride of your household, but, so far, I have NOT "...been helped, educated and entertained by some of the other forum members here," except to the extent of gathering more and more "absolutely necessary" files -- thus wasting more and more irretrievable time -- and STILL winding up with an example of ffmpegX that looks exactly like a duck, quacks exactly like a duck, but has all the healthy and productive vitality of a long-deceased duck. I have provided the evidence of the files I have, I have run the conversion process as "Case" urged me to do, more than a dozen times, all with the same unproductive result.

"Anyway, I know how frustrating it can be when things don't work the way you expect or want them to, and I genuinely hope you do find a solution to your problems, but get over yourself, try not alienating the people who might actually be able to help you, and do try to have a nice day!"

Your "heartfelt" solicitousness has been duly noted, and tossed in the round file. Likewise your ill-placed advice to "get over yourself, try not alienating the people who might actually be able to help you"

I don't believe you have any basis in knowledge OR authority to advise me to do anything, simply based upon your own saccharine misapprehension of the situation, and your hubristic sense of self-worth and righteousness. I most certainly do not require your pro forma injunction to "have a nice day!" As a stylistic side-note, excessive use of marks of exclamation (!) are of the same insincere and all-too-visibly camouflaged ilk as a 'smiley face," allowing one to be insulting, but not having the guts to own it, by pretending an utterly false camaraderie. "Camaraderie," for you hard thinkers out there, is "mutual trust and friendship among people who spend a lot of time together." Given the high-handed and utterly-misplaced condescending attitude I've invariably found here, I have no basis for mutual OR unilateral trust for anyone who has deigned to reply -- a very small number, but you least of all -- and as far as "among people who spend a lot of time together," that most certainly does not, and will not, apply in this forum, especially with you.

"p.s. I'm also not in anyway affiliated or associated with VideoHelp.com"

I swan! I never would have guessed...
    Last edited by bartbrn; 20th Mar 2013 at 12:40.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM

When you start an encoding, the ffmpegX Progress window should pop up, displaying the a horizontal progress bar. This bar usually starts as a "moving barber pole", until the app can estimate a percentage. After that, the bar should "fill" from left to right, until the process is finished.
    At the right side you should see a white "i" (for "information") in a blue circle and a cross ("x") in a grey circle. Those two act as buttons.
    The "x" button allows the user to stop a running process.
    The "i" button gives access to the Process Information window, aka log to the current process.
    When a conversion successfully finishes, the "x" symbol changes into a magnifying glass symbol. Clicking the magnifying glass symbol should open the folder with the output file in the Finder.
    All that has happened, and all that I have done, yielding a file that looks exactly like a real video file, but is of such small size that it couldn't be any conversion of the original file, and whether I double-click on that file, or open it from one of my many video players -- usually QuickTime, as it plays nearly everything (an example of having the correct codecs integrated into the app BEFORE foisting it upon an unsuspecting public), I get a very normal-looking QuickTime Player window, with all the correct buttons, but pushing the "Play" button does absolutely nothing. In fact, pushing ANY button does absolutely nothing.

A few errors give so little feedback to the app, that the app thinks the process is finished, although not successfully. In that case, you will see "Finished", but also still the "stop process"/"x" circular button. In such cases, the Process Information log may help diagnose what went wrong.

Please provide the content of the Process Information log for one of your sample conversion attempts. That may help diagnose.
    I'm sorry, your worship(s), and may it please your worship(s) to forgive my unworthy ignorance, but I have no idea WHERE the "Process Information log" resides, nor how I might access it.

May I humbly suggest to your worship(s) that it is exactly this kind of "one piece of information at a time," when you could easily have provided ALL the information necessary to run the process AND find the "Process Information log" AND be able to provide your worship(s) with the "Process Information log," that has turned what could have been a simple 2 or 3 message-and-reply exchange into a multi-ad-nauseam posting marathon that has wasted both MY time (which your worship(s) and I both know is worth nothing), and the time of your worship(s), which is worth all the treasure in the world.

Tell me how to access the Process Information log, and I'll send it to you.

I humbly thank your worship(s) for taking pity on a lowly forum peasant.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [2/ General rules #4
    BTW, just to clear up a misapprehension on your part. "Bumping" was not my intention, though it may well have been the inescapable result of the forum's thread structure, which is not my fault.

Had I known this was a purely amateur forum, with "no link" (yeah, right) to the apparently zombie-like ffmpegX app, I would have realized that the "information" provided here is apparently at the discretion of one person, who may or may not post in a given mumber of days, weeks, months, or years, I would have sought out some other form of help -- though, since everywhere a search engine took me, the link to ANYTHING to do with ffmpegX brought me right back here, which really wouldn't have helped much, would it?

You claim ffmpegX is as dead as Julius Caesr and as orphaned as Oliver Twist, yet, dead as far as its original developer may be concerned, ffmpegX seems to lurch back to life and spring out of its grave often enough to keep up with the never-ending changes in the Mac OS. Does it do this automatically? Has someone finally perfected infallible app AI? If so, this is a major breakthrough which the world needs to hear about.

The bottom line is this: either ffmpegX is a viable, living app, or it's not. The existence of an "ffmpeg for MacOSX forum" on this site, the updates of ffmpegX past 2011, and the apparent primacy of "Case" as the arbiter of nearly all substantive ffmpegX questions in this, the ONLY ffmpegX for MacOSX forum I've found yet, argues that A. ffmpegX is a viable app, B. THIS forum is the only support ffmpegX has, other than the FAQs and instructions on the ffmpegX.com page -- all of which I HAVE followed as best as my "hard thinking" has allowed, given the spotty and sometimes contrary and inconsistent "information," both on the ffmpegX.com pages & FAQs, and the pitiful trickle that gets leaked out in this forum, as if the arcane secrets of assembling and running ffmpegX successfully are the final instructions for Mahmoud "Danny" Ahmadinejad's "Make Your Own A-Bomb at Home With Ordinary Household Chemicals!" If only the people who are totally conversant with ffmpegX -- which, as far as I've seen, is NOBODY -- are supposed to post here, what's the sense of having a forum at all?
    Last edited by bartbrn; 20th Mar 2013 at 12:49.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh, yeah -- just as an added fillip of humor, take a look at the "Similar Threads" box at the bottom of this page:

None newer than 20 September 2009 (the oldest 3 January 2008), all of them before the developer left the scene of the crime, and all of them with VERY few replies: only ONE with as many as 3 replies (3 THREADS with 2 replies, one thread with one reply). And you wonder why I chose to ask my questions here? Where else do you think I'll find answers (not that my cup exactly overfloweth with straight answers here...)?
    Quote Quote  
  28. It's got nothing to do with being a popularity contest, it's about having a bit of common sense and some manners! And calling the people who have bothered to try to help you, "Middle Earthers" is hardly likely to make them, or anyone else, more likely to go out of their way to try and help you!

WOAH there, pardner! (just following your lead - or should that be rein? - on your Pony-riding theme.) I did read AND comprehend that you arrived at this thread through a number of Google searches. I'm also aware that once you were informed that this forum has no affiliation to either the software or the writer of the software that you're having problems with, and that absolutley no one here is under ANY kind of obligation to help annoying little appleholes like you, you still carry on like a spoiled little oik, expecting everyone to drop everything and provide free tech support for you. Good luck with that!

Hope you manage to get access to your other brain cell and learn some manners, and then maybe people will be more willing to a) talk to you without laughing, and b) help you with your problems. Do try to have a nice life.

p.s. You think you're a Swan? Dud, you need help!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    [...]
    I have no idea WHERE the "Process Information log" resides, nor how I might access it.
    Tell me how to access the Process Information log, and I'll send it to you.
    I thought I did just that in the very same post. Just click on the "i" and see what happens.
    Quote Quote