VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So.. alright. Every reformat I get quite frustrated. All the movie files i try to play are reallllly dark. Extremly dark and almost saturated with horrible contrast. It happens every reformat and I have to mess with installing the right codecs and the like and now I'm sick of it. What are the steps I shoudl do to resolve this? I've done this before and eventually i get it situated just buy going through a trial and error instal / uninstall of various Codec packs, individual codecs and the like. The majority of my files are AVI, however, that doesn't say much as AVI is always encoded differently. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated! I'm sick of doing this alllll the time after every reformat.

I've tried K-lite codec pack, Matrisoka Codec Pack, Combined Community Codec Pack (CCCP), and various other codecs but it isn't working correctly (I do know I had these all installed in my last installation and whenever I played a movie I'd usually have FFDshow, OggVorbis and some form of DirectShow)

Now all of this might be irrelevant (My listing of what i have done) but if anyones else has the same problem and has fixed it i'd be happy. Video basically is really dark and has poor color. I'm using Windows Media Player for most of the AVI / Movie files.

(Appoligies to my jumping around topics)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    have you tried adjusting the video overlay controls in your display settings?
    You are in breach of the forum rules and are being banned. Do not post false information.
    /Moderator John Q. Publik
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Are you referring to the "Video Settings" you can enable in WMP11 and it brings up a menu that you can adjust brightness / contrast and has other menus as well? If so, then yes I have. If not.. could you tell me where I might find these?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wait, haha. Now I know what you mean. The Display drivers for my video card. Now that you mention that I will have a look. That does strike something I remember.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Laevoth
    I've tried K-lite codec pack, Matrisoka Codec Pack, Combined Community Codec Pack (CCCP), and various other codecs but it isn't working correctly
    Oh horror! I'm surprised anything video related works at all!
    Here's how to do it:
    After a fresh Windows install, install ffdshow. ffdshow will cater for 99% of all your video playback needs.
    However, if some file doesn't work, load the file in GSpot. Make a note of what codec is used.
    Install latest version of that codec and nothing else.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    First thing would be to download and install updated video drivers , before playing with settings of any kind .
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Haha, it wasn't even that. And I didn't install these codec packs haha.. i just had them previously. It was all about the overlay settings. I completely forgot about them and ran on stupid pills for a bit.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks tons guys for the help ASAP!
    Quote Quote