VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm having a problem playing AVI videos with WMP on vistas 32 bit. I have the most recent version of ffdshow which includes the indeo codec but it won't play the video only the sound. I used G spot and it says the file needs indeo 5.x and it says the codec isn't even installed. I've reinstalled the codec several times and I even found the codec in the system32 folder. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for any help at all.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ffdshow only does up to version 3.1
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Still doesn't work, and Gspot still tells me I don't have the codec. There has been some problems with indeo in games running on vista. I'm wondering if vista even supports it. Thanks for the help though.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Actually, AFAIK, MS quit supporting Indeo with XPSP1. It's now apparently a pay codec from Ligos. It's not in the OS anymore. This from MS. (If you can figure out what they mean by "The Indeo codec is available for trusted programs in Windows Vista." :

Some game features may be missing when you play games on a Windows Vista-based computer KB912044

Article ID : 912044
    Last Review : February 15, 2007
    Revision : 2.2

SYMPTOMS
    Some game features may be missing when you play games on a Microsoft Windows Vista-based computer.

Note The feature that may not work in most game programs is the introductory video feature. This problem may prevent a game from getting installed or from starting.

CAUSE
    This problem occurs if the game requires that the Indeo codec from Ligos Corporation be installed on the computer. The Indeo codec is available for trusted programs in Windows Vista.

Note A codec is software or hardware that can compress and uncompress audio and video data, such as audio files, video files, and image files.
    You can check with Ligos: http://www.ligos.com/index.php/home/products/indeo/

Can you use a program like SUPER to convert it to something more common?

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    up to 5.11 seems to be free ? , but 5.2 seems to be payware

since like no one uses them anymore - even ligos doesnt seem to want to do anymore updates
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just another reason to stay with XP!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by pepegot1
    Just another reason to stay with XP!
    Not really. I've ran into this very issue on XP, too.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    it would be the same issue even with win95 .... nothing to do w/ the OS ... just an outdated retired product line IMO
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for all the help I'll try super
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    K I tried using super it wont let me convert it but somehow I am able to play the video through mplayer which is included in super. It shows I am using the indeo 5 codec. The only thing is it has no controls, I can't pause or restart. Anyway it's a start thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    there are many mplayer guis.
    a. search for one that works on your system
    b. one that has features you need/like.

try mpui
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Great it works now, Thanks for all the help.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Don't worry about converting it (which won't work anyway) and don't worry about a seperate media player to play your Indeo 5 movies.

Simply do this:

Open a command prompt (Start -> Run -> type cmd -> [ENTER])

Then execute the command:

regsvr32 ir50_32.dll

That's it. Now WMP can play back Indeo 5 under Vista. The Indeo installer obviously fails to register the dll on Windows Vista...

Happy Viewing!

Salada2k
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi. I have the same problem as the original poster. I tried doing the "run" "cmd" method, but I got a window popped up saying "... the codec was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with the error code 0x8000ffff"

I installed the ffshow codec pack in my other computer which has the exact same OS and softwares and have no problem, but only this one.

Can anyone help? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  16. On Vista, to register a filter from the command prompt you typically have to be running the command prompt with administrator privileges.

If you have Command Prompt on your Start menu, just right-click and choose Run as administrator. If not, open Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Windows\System32 and find cmd.exe - right-click and choose Run as administrator.

Now run regsvr32 <filter> - it should register filters correctly.
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks John. It worked.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OMG salada2k you're a genius!!!!!!!!!!!
    THANK YOU!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    thanks for that, I got an IV50 AVI (Praktica DVC HD 5.1) file to play in WMP and MPC.
    Why though, I wonder, does it still not work in VLC and QT?
    ??
    Quote Quote  
  20. Thank you salada2k and JohnnyMalaria.
    You solve my problem!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    BTW, for those who don't want to add the baggage of old/defunct/deprecated/rare/buggy codecs, I strongly suggest doing this in a VM with an OS and media set of the proper era. Plays nicely since it's in its own sandbox...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by salada2k View Post
    Don't worry about converting it (which won't work anyway) and don't worry about a seperate media player to play your Indeo 5 movies.

Simply do this:

Open a command prompt (Start -> Run -> type cmd -> [ENTER])

Then execute the command:

regsvr32 ir50_32.dll

That's it. Now WMP can play back Indeo 5 under Vista. The Indeo installer obviously fails to register the dll on Windows Vista...

Happy Viewing!

Salada2k

Brilliant, saved our bacon, thanks so much, clear concise and correct, thanks
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've got indeo playback working under windows 7 64 bit.

If you want to do this then simply download the attached zip and unzip it to C:\Windows\System32 then run cdm.exe as administrator and type regsvr32 ir50_32.dll [enter]

Indeo 5 now plays in windows 7.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by sleepytom View Post

If you want to do this then simply download the attached zip and unzip it to C:\Windows\System32 then run cdm.exe as administrator and type regsvr32 ir50_32.dll [enter]

Thanks everyone! finally got it working on windows 7, much appreciated sleepytom for sharing the DLL with us!!!!

i owe you a beer
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sleepytom View Post

Appreciate folks helping like this. I had found an IV5Setup.exe that seemed clean and all. I installed it (Win7 64bit) and voila, I could play these old vids I'd made of myself playing acoustic at a little coffee house a gazillion years ago. Cool. I was able to convert these vids to a few newer standards using a copy of Roxio I got for Tivo file massaging.

Bad news - now WMP (or anything else) cannot play my tivo files, and other s/w I've used for vid capture stopped working too.

Even though the Indeo installer was wrapped with InstallShield, there's no uninstall (there was no "app" registered).
    Wondering if there is a deregsvr32.exe or unregsvr32.exe (will start trying, but no idea ...). I tried reinstalling Tivo desktop, and even Roxio (both have/use codecs for my tivo files..), but to no avail. I killed my tivo file capability just to view a couple old sentimental video moments. Not worth it... doh! Have to laugh. But, seriously need to figure out how to undo this. Makes me wish I'd done what a previous poster advised a couple years ago (above) and used a VM or something, to protect my system. Still - it is nice that folks are helping find these old codecs. I don't think it's the codecs themselves, but likely just some incompatibility with Win7/64bit/Tivo, etc...

Addendum (2 MINS LATER): I found that regsvr32 has a flag "/u" to "Unregister Server" (filter). Trouble is, I am not even certain what exactly IV5SETUP did. Anyone know how to see what codecs or "filters" have been installed (a history or something)? I want to try to undo the whole thing. Perhaps will try the /U flag, but now wishing I'd done a full backup before I started
    Last edited by aprilia1k; 10th Sep 2011 at 19:25. Reason: Added info
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by aprilia1k
    Appreciate folks helping like this. I had found an IV5Setup.exe that seemed clean and all. I installed it (Win7 64bit) and voila, I could play these old vids I'd made of myself playing acoustic at a little coffee house a gazillion years ago. Cool. I was able to convert these vids to a few newer standards using a copy of Roxio I got for Tivo file massaging.

Bad news - now WMP (or anything else) cannot play my tivo files, and other s/w I've used for vid capture stopped working too.

Even though the Indeo installer was wrapped with InstallShield, there's no uninstall (there was no "app" registered).
    Wondering if there is a deregsvr32.exe or unregsvr32.exe (will start trying, but no idea ...). I tried reinstalling Tivo desktop, and even Roxio (both have/use codecs for my tivo files..), but to no avail. I killed my tivo file capability just to write my essay and view a couple old sentimental video moments. Not worth it... doh! Have to laugh. But, seriously need to figure out how to undo this. Makes me wish I'd done what a previous poster advised a couple years ago (above) and used a VM or something, to protect my system. Still - it is nice that folks are helping find these old codecs. I don't think it's the codecs themselves, but likely just some incompatibility with Win7/64bit/Tivo, etc...

Addendum (2 MINS LATER): I found that regsvr32 has a flag "/u" to "Unregister Server" (filter). Trouble is, I am not even certain what exactly IV5SETUP did. Anyone know how to see what codecs or "filters" have been installed (a history or something)? I want to try to undo the whole thing. Perhaps will try the /U flag, but now wishing I'd done a full backup before I started
    Here's what I tried: renamed LGVID.AX to LGVID.OLD 2 > installed Indeo 5 codec 3 > clicked start, run > typed "regsvr32 ir50_32.dll". However, I got the IV5SETUP.EXE error. So I had to do a system restore. Not sure if there's an easier solution.
    Last edited by moonkrj; 23rd Jul 2019 at 04:50. Reason: error
    Quote Quote