VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,
    What feature(s) should i be looking for in A video card for A PC to TV Set-up? I know very little about video cards so this will be my first. I want to watch Movies stored on my harddrive on a no frills tv that has only a coax input ( I know i'll need some sorta switcher box/ modulator) Here's one I almost purchased, thought i'd ask you guys first. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814133172
    thanks
    Mike
    Mike Cropper
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    That particular card seems to just have S-video output for use with TV. Unless you can find a modulator that accepts S-video, that would be a problem. This one may work: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882155018

Or look for a card that has composite video out. I can tell you the quality won't be too good, probably about the same as a over-the-air TV channel, maybe not as good. Forget trying to read computer text, but video should be viewable.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Before buying any graphics card, make sure that it is compatible with the graphics card slot in your computer. A pci-e card will NOT work in an AGP 4x/8x slot, and visa versa. Beyond that, any 'budget' card with TV out should be just fine, including the one you linked. A vcr, if you got one, could be used to convert the graphics card video out to the coax antenna for your TV. Good luck!
    Usually long gone and forgotten
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Most poeple with an older TV buy one of these to interface composite, S-Video and other external devices. The output is to RF channel 3 or 4.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2181628

Don't expect a computer desktop to look very good, but it can be used for playing video clips.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks edDV and redwudz, I know i'll end up with some kinda unit like those, i forgot to mention I also have a set top dvd player. Any suggestions on getting the audio to play through my tv? I know i need to run out from my pc but my only out is occupied by my pc speakers, can i use some sorta splitter maybe? There is a single "digital audio out" jack that looks like an RCA but can't find any info about it.
    Thanks TheFamilyMan, I'll try your vcr tip before getting the switcher box.
    Mike
    Mike Cropper
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That Philips box says it has "4 pairs of stereo inputs (RCA-type connections)"
    Quote Quote