VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Which VCR is the best for Restoration?

im new to this thread and i am so hapy for findindg it, even though i have been to this site a few times, i havent actually expored it like now.

i have been reading up throguh the different threads here and they just simply amaze me as to the fact restoring VHS tapes is something i love and wanted to do to get into the modern standards.

now, about VCR's, i know for a fact todays VCR's (even they hardly make them now) are not even as close to eing great s they were back in the early second millineum. thus it would be my target to find one somewhere like carbootsales and eBay.

i dont only want a VCR for playing random tapes, but i want a VCR to play any tape at superior tracking (so it wouldnt go off even on a very dodgy tape) and to scrap as much quality from the tape as possible (i dont know if that is possible). and also i like SVHS-ET, which i sometimes consider the best thing since slice bread.

me mentioning VCRs earlier in the 2000's, i am more or less a Panasonic person (screw Sony in alot of matters). and i have always had my eyes and heart set to the Panasonic NV-HS 960, which alot has considered a very good VCR but i would like to know if that is THE VCR that i am looking due to what i have mentioned above.

please someone correct me on this and help me as well. i would really appreciate it if someone can.

thanks very much, look forward to hearing from you lot. Cheers.
    Quote Quote  
  2. well i have but i hardly see the Panasonic Nv-Hs 960 been mentioned, unless its not the right VCR or the best to use when it comes to restoration?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Panasonic does not make much in the way of VCRs that are good in this area. JVC, however, does.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  4. so the Panasonic NV-HS 960 (my dream) been shattered then? thus i have to go for a JVC VCR then? and which one?
    Quote Quote  
  5. anyone at all?

isnt the Nv-Hs960 what im looking for then? or can anyone tell me what is it good for?

also, in response, what VCR am i looking for to fill in my requirements?

thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Any opnions which is better JVC 9600-800 series or Panasonic AG-1980 series for noisy VHS tapes and better picture quality ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The JVC has more filters and is a decade newer technology.
    Quote Quote  
  8. hmmm....If you have seen the same tape being played on both, which is better quality in your opinion ?
    Quote Quote  
  9. well i took alook at this link:

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/reviews/wvreviews/VCRs/Panasonic/ ... HS960B.php

and it seems to have done the job very well, but only price was the negative matter, but remember, this was back then and this is now. price matter is slightly different to this situation, thus i look upon quality.

what JVC VCR do you recommend and what do u think of the 960 now?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Never seen that model before, but it looks good on paper. Try it.

"many posts that said that the Pansonic had a better picture than the JVC series" tend to be quirky as far as I'm concerned, and the people who tend to say that are purists who are anti-filter. I, of course, find most purists (in anything) to be a tad ridiculous.
    Quote Quote  
  11. i see, well i checked the link myself htat i have poted and it went wrong. here it is again:

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/reviews/wvreviews/VCRs/Panasonic/PanasonicNV-HS960B.php

i hope this one works properly.

tell me now what u think.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I actually found the link on my own, and as I said, it looks decent on paper, maybe worth a try. It doesn't say anything about extra filters, however, but that may not mean it lacks any.
    Quote Quote  
  13. ohh i see.

hmmmmm.

well, i found this one:

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/reviews/wvreviews/VCRs/JVC/JVCHR-S9700EK.php

its the JVC S9700. how do they compare now?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Undead Saga
    I've got some info on this in my older post (search for my old posts) I've got a Pan HS860 which is the HS960 without the edit features. The 3dNR and TBC functions are seperate so can be used together or individualy JVC's models are both combined. If you use an ext. TBC the vcr TBC must be off, hence on JVC you loose the NR option ect.
    JVC may have better heads, cogs and cables don't know haven't used a high spec. 7000/8000/9000 series one. Trawl Ebay, don't rule out the early morning carboot sales. No ones interested in vcr's now even top spec. ones are ignored. Not many SVHS ones though.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can use an external TBC and the JVC TBC/DNR at the same time.
    Quote Quote  
  16. ohh right, well i havent been to a carboot sale for a very long time now.

since u mention about the Hs860, is it technically the Hs960 but JUST without the editing features? everything else remains hte same? also quality wise?

and about the JVC models, alot of them tend to have like a 6 head VCR, is there a (big) difference between 4 and 6 headed VCRs?

and knowing now about the features, i would assume it is better to operate them seperately instead wihtout having the choice to have using only one of them, like 3DNR.

P.S. also mentioning the 860, what is the HS870 like? i would have thought that would have been the next best thing from the HS960.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Lordsmurf
    You can use an external TBC and the JVC TBC/DNR at the same time.
    ? I thought the first TBC does the TB correction and following TBC's will not correct as it reads as correct?? That's what I understood from Davideck's advice. Do you mean you can use it but the correction is provided only by the JVC vcr? If so better ext. TBC would be redundent.

Undead Sega Here you go this is the post I made about similar stuff. I endlessly drivel on about topic, go down to the last post for links to the reviews of 960 and 860. 960 has better search function with jog dial style forward/rewind, don't think the actual play/record heads will be different, it would make no sense for panasonic to manufacture. There's an insert erase head too. These where expensive feature back then so hence the price increase. All you need, like me, is to press play and get a good picture.
    https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=315033&highlight=
    I think 4/6 head refers to addition sound recording for Nicam stereo. More important is SVHS. Even if you don't have SVHS tapes it will have S-video outputs which seperate the output to colour/brightness instead of regular composite. This should mean you loss less beween the VCR and DVDR/PC.
    Never seen HS870? Plenty of cheap stuff at carboots. Look for chunky cables gold plated scart/composite/s-video there out there. Try quality vcr's jvc,pan,toshiba,sony (japanese ones) SVHS and often ones with fill down fronts are best. Nearly bought a Sony SLV-E820 for £3 but I've got one! probably would have bargained down to a quid. Just see what you think of them and sell 'em in the free ads. Eventually you may land a really good VCR for your tapes.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by StuR
    I thought the first TBC does the TB correction and following TBC's will not correct as it reads as correct?? That's what I understood from Davideck's advice. Do you mean you can use it but the correction is provided only by the JVC vcr? If so better ext. TBC would be redundent.
    The JVC TBC/DNR provides timebase correction but does not provide frame synchronization (continuous sync). If a dropout occurs, then the sync reference may be corrupted. This can cause audio/video skew issues with many capture devices. Adding a TBC/Frame Synchronizer after the JVC TBC/DNR can prevent this. DVD Recorders have their own built in TBC/Frame Synchronizer.
    Life is better when you focus on the signals instead of the noise.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Right so would the ext. TBC also regenerate the TB again if there where errors that the vcr could not correct or just overlook it?
    your, confused.
    edit - should be
    yours, confused.
    just to clear that up, otherwise it makes no sense as I was clearly confused about it not Davideck
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The vast majority of TBCs are also Frame Synchronizers (the JVC TBC/DNR is one exception). They provide stable sync at their output at all times. Any residual timebase error that a TBC/Frame Synchronizer has failed to correct is now said to be embedded into the image because it is not present in the output sync timing. A downstream TBC will therefore not "see" or correct any embedded timebase error because it measures the timebase stability of the sync.

The JVC TBC/DNR does an excellent job of timebase correction, but it does not guarantee Frame Synchronization. If the video RF signal off tape is missing or corrupted, then the output sync may also be missing or corrupted. A downstream TBC/Frame Synchronizer will still not be able to correct any timebase error that the JVC TBC/DNR has embedded into the image, but it will replace the output sync disturbances with continuous sync.

For more details;
    https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=279530
    Life is better when you focus on the signals instead of the noise.
    Quote Quote  
  21. well, they were quite interesting in fact, but i see quite thoroughly that Panasonic is claimed to have a better picture.

and does anyone know about the Panasonic NV HS870 at all?

and even so with this model and the HS860 and HS960, do they have full frame TBC or half-frame?
    Quote Quote  
  22. anyone at all?

please?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Davideck for trying to explain, forgive me but I still don't understand as well as I'd like to but I'll keep reading (I thought sync and TB where the same?)... if nothing else the Panasonic's 860/960 have one extra button to press on and off, which is fun

and even so with this model and the HS860 and HS960, do they have full frame TBC or half-frame?
    Not able to say for certain but I think their half frame. The Pan 1980 (US ntsc model) was the only full frame I'm sure of. There may have been a UK version. The previous link to my earlier posts mentions the model. They sell for quite a bit on ebay though (any Pan. with TBC do) and there 10+ years old so are likely to have problems. The JVC 9000 models will be less old. To be honest I think its more important to get one that's still in good condition, as either SVHS's will be good enough. Then you have to worry about the DVD recorder/PC software.
    Quote Quote  
  24. ohh okay then.

i can find any information on about the Panasonic Nv HS870. which really frustates me, cause i have one on offer now and i would like to know about it.

also maybe it could be a recent VCR from Panasonic to contain full frame TBC? and htat it has the qualities and features of a 860 or 960?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Have a look at the manuals, thats best.

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/customer-Support/download-centre.asp
    and select - AV products, then VCR, and tack you pick.

http://techdocs.panasonic.co.uk/docs/1z4624b6b3z3z1f7c7z656ez706466z33z67398c39f489959...0pages1-28.pdf
    and thats the 870

Just scanned through it for you, not TBC only 3DNR (look at the buttons diagram at start and video playback section)
    Compare it with the 860/960 manuals. Better than most recorders but look for another JVC or Pan, in my veiw.
    TBC is always mensioned in the manuals on Pan. Double check though!

also look at manuals for NV-FS200B - could be UK ver. of 1980 (many report as the best non pro-VCR)
    and NV-HS1000B - probably full TBC made afew years after FS200 probably the updated version.
    I emailed Panasonic asking about all this stuff, never got an answer.
    Quote Quote  
  26. ohh i see, got you there.

well im looking at the Panasonic AG-1980 and the HS1000B, and wow, those things are quit old, do they still have quality in them compared to moder technology like the Hs860? cause now i really have my eyes set on that one.

also, can someone confirm to me again, is the Hs860 basically the Hs960 but wihtout the editing features?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    also, can someone confirm to me again, is the Hs860 basically the Hs960 but wihtout the editing features?
    Beyond having the two to take apart and compare I don't think anyone can tell you that.
    Did you read the 'Home Cinema Mag' reviews of both and the other links I put up, also did you download the manuals from Panasonic. It doesn't take long and is recommended. I've had the top off my 860 and had a look mainly for the TBC chip. It's a on a slot in module, looks like graphics card slotted into motherboard. I've searched for the chip info using the codes on them. The card has two sections so likely TBC, and NR.
    From what I saw it looks like a good SVHS Panasonic probably the same as all the late SVHS but with the rare exception of this TBC+NR card in.

I think that the older NV-FS200B and NV-HS1000B models have a more solid transport system, with better cogs and belts. I may be wrong but they where very expensive new. But there all old now and so are the heads. I questioned the price they are now second hand, as repairs arn't cheap. Don't rule out the JVC's most of the 7000 series, probably all the 8000 and 9000 have TBC/NR.

By the way forget about the 1980 it's US (NTSC only, probably not 240v either) I mention it as there's more US info on the net, so you then have to find the UK version which is likely to be the FS200.
    http://www.rickmaybury.com/Altarcs/homent/he98/gthighnics.htm
    more info NV-HS950 too (TBC)
    Quote Quote  
  28. well i was aware that they were much older models, and that worried me abit cause of age, and even though they mught have mor solid parts, they are probaly all worn out and that its old technology and the heads arent probably as good as the newer ones nowadays.

and i have read the Home Cinema Reviews, and the 860 and 960 impressed me alot, the only let down was the price compared to a JVC, but that was back then and this is now.

i like the idea of u actualling looking for the TBC chip inside, and searching it up with the codes on them. what results did u find?

and i know for a fact that htis machine along wiht the Hs960 are good mechanics and u dont come across them anymore in htat quality in recent VHS makings. thiis is probably the best u can get. please someome correct me if im wrong about that.

and i will not really go for a JVC VCR cause of the combined features of TBC and NR together, when i like to use them seperately at some times.

also, does anyone know what is the tracking system like on these VCRs? can it hold off a Video Tape like nothing? or will it struggle on the video as it would on other poor auto tracking VCRs?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    they are probaly all worn out and that its old technology and the heads arent probably as good as the newer ones nowadays.
    They may not, and they probably where better than many recent/current. Remember VHS has been around for donkeys years so a VCR made in 1994 costing £1000 would be great quality. They were built to last but how can you tell how much use it's had? Its a risk.
    My HS860 was about £70ish inc p&p ebay, they said it had been in storage for 2 years due to travelling and only occ. home use. Always ask questions on ebay, they can lie but I always 'listen to the tone of the answer'. They don't make 'em like that any more as you say, it's a waste of their money, only JVC make quality VCR's but don't now how much ect.
    i like the idea of u actualling looking for the TBC chip inside, and searching it up with the codes on them. what results did u find?
    No info searched alot and nothing, only found the OSDisplay chip Mitsubishi!
    also, does anyone know what is the tracking system like on these VCRs? can it hold off a Video Tape like nothing? or will it struggle on the video as it would on other poor auto tracking VCRs?
    The HS860/960 do have auto tracking but your right you need manual overide which these do.
    Auto when the tape is put in if you use the 'Program P+/P-' (I think see manual!) you override the setting and adjust. Pressing the P- and P+ together goes back to auto. Can't say tracking has helped me though only with a ext. frame syncronizer did I stop some problems. I prosume the auto is fine though.
    I have an old toshiba (carboot £1 ) with soft/sharp and tracking on dials. Much the best way really controlable, but they stopped doing that and it's not a good enough all-rounder.
    The older Pan HS950, 1000, FS200 have dials (on the flip down front) and I think use soft/sharp as opossed to a single set NR. I'd like a softness dial as I think it would help smoothen the grain in capture.
    Not sure about JVC but ...
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/jvc-s-vhs-video-recorder-hr-s7600_W0QQitemZ320105432956QQihZ011Q...QQcmdZViewItem
    if you snipped this (last seconds bid) for £60 say I think you'd happy enough, course don't know about the condition that's up to you. Worth a thought.
    Quote Quote