VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Im recording VHS 2 hrs tapes using ADS's DVDExpressDX2 (RCAs into USB device).
    I have a lot of them to do.....about 50.

On the recording application call Capwiz for video capture, I have set the quality to 1/2D1 and typically for a 2hr tape will get 3.5G of .mpg data. When I try to burn a DVD using the Ulead Video Studio 9 that came with the ADS package, it says the file is too large to fit on a DVD. The DVD size says it needs 9G for the same 3.5G mpg file and Ulead will not proceed with the burn. There is a feature to fit to DVD and when using it, it took 1.5hrs to get to 1% complete.

I have recorded about 20 tapes so far using capwiz and the 1/2d1 quality setting and recording to the .mpg file. Id like not to have to start over but I will if I have to. I have thoroughly reviewed the Ulead documention its completely useless for any tips on how to fit 2hrs of vhs onto a DVD.

Is there a tutorial somewhere here or elsewhere online? I have to be missing something significant as this cant be as hard as its be turning out to be.

The only thing I can thing of doing is edit the files into smaller pieces and trial and error until I find out what fits. Based on the 3.4G to 9G I have to guess I can get 45 minutes of video onto a DVD.

thanks for any advise

2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Check to see what bitrate you encoded to. Gspot should be able to tell you. If you use 1/2 D1, you should be able to use a bitrate down about 3000kbps or so and easily get 2-3 hours on a DVD. A bitrate calculator will tell you the bitrate you need to be using. Take a look in 'Tools' to the left.

3. 1a.Use DVDShrink to compress if the files are >4488MB,it's not perfect but it's faster than re-encoding.
    1b.Use DL(DVD-9) media.
    2.Output an ISO in Ulead VS(or DVDShrink) and burn with Imgburn or DVDDecrypter.

4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz
    Check to see what bitrate you encoded to. Gspot should be able to tell you. If you use 1/2 D1, you should be able to use a bitrate down about 3000kbps or so and easily get 2-3 hours on a DVD. A bitrate calculator will tell you the bitrate you need to be using. Take a look in 'Tools' to the left.
    OK. I did Gspot and its showing:

MPEG-2 Program Stream << { 1 vid, 1 aud }
    Sys Bitrate: 10080 kb/s VBR

I guess thats a 10080 kb/s?

In the Capwiz capture software there is no option to select the Bitrate. There is however subjective setting from Best to Very Good to good to OK etc. Does selecting a lower subjective setting do the same thing as reducing bitrate?

5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MOVIEGEEK
    1a.Use DVDShrink to compress if the files are >4488MB,it's not perfect but it's faster than re-encoding.
    1b.Use DL(DVD-9) media.
    2.Output an ISO in Ulead VS(or DVDShrink) and burn with Imgburn or DVDDecrypter.
    \

My files are all about 3500MB. Does something happen to make the files much larger when you burn a CD, Seems like to start the files are small enough to fit

6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Here's a Gspot screen from a PAL DVD VOB. The bitrate is circled. The video is about 7.5GB with a playing time of 2.5 hours. I would have to Shrink or re-encode it to fit on a DVD-5. A bitrate calculator says the bitrate should be 3837kbps to fit a 4.37GB DVD-5. That's a little too low a bitrate for full DI, so 1/2 D1 should work about right.

m

EDIT: If the files get a whole lot bigger by the time you burn them, either they are being re-encoded or something like your audio is at the wrong settings. Gspot should tell you that. I use MP2 or AC3 for audio. LPCM audio will be very big. Authoring should only add a hundred or so MBs to the file.

7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by wayne86
    Originally Posted by redwudz
    OK. I did Gspot and its showing:

MPEG-2 Program Stream << { 1 vid, 1 aud }
    Sys Bitrate: 10080 kb/s VBR

I guess thats a 10080 kb/s?

In the Capwiz capture software there is no option to select the Bitrate. There is however subjective setting from Best to Very Good to good to OK etc. Does selecting a lower subjective setting do the same thing as reducing bitrate?
    that bitrate is too high, thats the max bitrate for D1 740*480

for home made vhs transfer, 2500-3000 should work very well

MF is re-encoding and taking your 3.5 gig mpg capture and increasing the size to 9 gig

try using DVD shrink , to shrink the cmplete folder back to 4gig, and then check the quality of play play back,

future video captures need to have the bitrate lowered , even if this means using good setting

I'll check my version of MF, there should be a way to limit the re-encoding, or alter the capture bit rate

Search Comp PM
    The 10080 info is just reading the headers, it's not the actual bitrate.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS

9. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    theewizard, the 10800kbps is the system bitrate, Gspot always shows that. It's not the encoded bitrate.

Though, if indeed he had a 2 hour video and it came out at 9GB, that would be close to that bitrate.

Search Comp PM
    I would hazard a guess that an old version of g-spot was used, as the current version actually scans the stream to determine a more accurate bitrate. 10080 sounds like it was read straight from the header info, as written by a lazy encoder.
    Read my blog here.

11. ...will get 3.5G of .mpg data
    Probably this is already DVD compliant. Just use an authoring program, that doesn't insist on reencoding and use it to create the DVD 'directly'. It may be necessary to demultiplex the mpg file to elementary streams (separate video + audio), but this is a fast process (5-10 minutes, highly dependent on your harddisk speed) and without quality loss.

Search PM
    and typically for a 2hr tape will get 3.5G of .mpg data.
    Look up the "Do not Convert Compliant files" and "smartrender" settings in the manual. You should be able to import that file directly into eithe MF or VS, do some minor edits if you wish and create a disc withpout reencoding anything.

The "Fit to" is for maximizing the bitrate for projects that exceed the amount of disc space , since your files are already DVD compliant and will already fit you don't need it. BTW for future refernce you can do a "fit to" manually yourself by using the custom settings, use the bitrate calculator here to determine the bitrate :

https://www.videohelp.com/calc.htm

Note: You most likey have Ulead Video Studio 9 SE , if you can't find these options then most likely it's a limitation of the SE version.

13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    ok thanks. I dont see those options in Ulead. The documentation is extremely basic and offers no help or tutorial. Ill keep plugging away. If I have to record those first 15 tape I will do that when I find the magic recipe.

14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    If I stay with the Capture Wizard and can successfully record and burn up to 2:20 DVDs and I dont have to worry about the minute technical parameters. Its when I tried to use Ulead that things went south.
    However, the Capwiz doesnt provide editing, and I simply want to cut off the tail end of the tape that is noise. WHen I try to use Ulead and save that file, it creates something......I dont know what......and Im not sure I want to find out and it creates a file to large to fit on a 2hr dvd.

Is there a simple editing tool I can use to maintain the integrity of the file made by capture wizard where I can simply cut off the last 15 minutes or so of the file (something other then Ulead)?

Thanks again for all the help!

FYI
    the DVDExpress comes with 2 applications:
    1) Capture Wizard, for capture and burning DVDs
    2) Ulead: Movie Studio and Video Studio 9

15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there a simple editing tool I can use to maintain the integrity of the file made by capture wizard where I can simply cut off the last 15 minutes or so of the file (something other then Ulead)?
    VideoReDo

Wonderful program, faster than fast, amazing support, and a longtime advertiser here.

I use it all the time to clean up the ends of MPG2 captures. If you have ANY problems, post in their forum and you will get answer and, if you've found something new, maybe even a bug-fix version of your very own.

16. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by byteguy
    VideoReDo

Wonderful program, faster than fast, amazing support, and a longtime advertiser here.

I use it all the time to clean up the ends of MPG2 captures. If you have ANY problems, post in their forum and you will get answer and, if you've found something new, maybe even a bug-fix version of your very own.
    OK.. Great tip. Ill can try a full version too!

I think the ADS DVD XpressDX2 is doing a fine job, but that Ulead thing that came with it.....what was ADS thinking?

Search PM
    The documentation is extremely basic and offers no help or tutorial.
    The full 200 page manual can be downloaded here: http://ftp.ulead.com/pub/Manual/videostudio9/vstudio9e.zip

A search for smart render brings up 18 matches and a search for "do Not convert" brings up 3. Both are listed in the index...

To utilize these feature you have to match the project settings to the video clip, right click the clip and mark the properties down. Look up in the manual how to create custom project settings, use the properties you have maked down to create yuour custom project. Once saved you only have to select your custom project settings when working with video that has those properties now and for future projects.

The reason Ulead is reencoding is because you're project settings don't match the properties of the clip. Once you have it set up you can test it by importing a very long clip, use the creat video option instead of make a disc and create a new file. It shouldn't take much longer than what it would for you to copy the file from one folder to another.

BTW Ulead has there own forum, you may want to try there because those people will be much more familiar with the software.

18. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    OK.. thanks. I'll check out the manual. For now Im happy not using Ulead. Your description already makes it sound complicated, having to look up the technicallities of the video, write them down........especially for something that is packaged with the recording device and linked to CApwiz. Im pretty sure I can get this done in much quicker time if I avoid using Ulead.
    thanks again

19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    pics from my run of cap wiz

click on video format

click on custom

choose the settings you want

here it is set for 1/2 D1 (352*480 ) at 3000k / 3mbs

play with the settings until you find , a combination that pleases you.

the right side colum mpeg1 lpcm ,48khz and 224 are the audio settngs

Search PM
    Then once you find an acceptable setting from theewizard's explanation create a custom setting in Ulead to mirror the settings. The ones that are of importance to keep it from reencoding are under the quality settings to the left, the audio settings are to the right.

My capture suggestion would be to start off at 720x480, 8000kbps Variable Bitrate, use PCM audio*. Work your way down from there.

-----------------------

The reson I suggest PCM is this takes any audio conversions out of the loop. Once you get your video problems worked out with good results. You can convert just the PCM audio to AC3 . VS9 has native AC3(Dolby Digital) audio encoding, at least the full version does. This is the preferred audio format for DVD. Once you import into VS9 If you have a selection for AC3 or Dolby digital use that in your custom profile and you can convert just the audio to AC3.

The selection theewizard has is MPEG audio, it's not a standard but will play in most DVD players. AC3 is compatible in all DVD players. PCM by itself requires a huge amout of disc space so isn't very practical for DVD's but fine for capture.

21. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks again Theewizard.

Mine looks a little different. I dont have the video quality settings on that screen.

What I have been doing is under the Audio/Video formats and then under Video/Quality selecting the DVD (MPEG2), (No seperate quality settings shown in my version unless you go into Custom). The recordings data (when viewed using the "details" in Capwiz) are at 720x480 and 8M bit rate. I have been able to burn an entire untouched file captured this way to a DVD. THen using "Video to Go" or "direct to disk" from Capwiz I burn the DVD from the saved .mpg file. I can burn the entire 2 hour contents to a single DVD this way. I have verified that the burned DVD contains the last minutes of the tape. During the "direct to disk" process it askes me for the length and I guess it uses that to throttle the data to fit on the DVD.....but so far, with recordings done this way and about 2'10" on a tape, no problem recording a single DVD.

I going back now and re-recording some of the earlier tapes that I used 1/2d1. The quality of the video, when using DVD as described above, is much better this way too.

thanks again for the help. Id still be stuck at start if not for the help provided here!

22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    your welcome, glad your getting the 2hr on the DVD with quality

you now have a system / project layout-plan, that works for you, and you can work on finishing your project

Search Comp PM
    To use VideoStudio, open it up, and go immediately to SHARE/Create Disc.

Then add one of your captured mpeg files to the project, hit the gear icon (bottom left) and check "do not convert compliant mpeg file", add some menus, and burn to DVD Folders. Try this on a small capture just to get the hang of it.

If your capture has a small section at the end that you don't want, add a chapter at that point, then rt-click/Hide Chapter (this should prevent it from playing during normal playback).

Regards,
    George

24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've come across this problem when using Ulead VS9 on TV recordings captured by DVB-T devices . After converting the output to an MPG file its header may show a "Sys Bitrate" (per Gspot) of around 15 Mbit/s whereas the MPG file's actual bitrate (per PowerDVD) is around 3.5 Mbit/s. I think that VS9 carries out some wierd and wonderful calculation based on the Sys Bitrate and concludes that (a) the file has to be rendered, and (b) there isn't enough room for the rendered file on the DVD anyway!

I've just checked this with a DVB-T capture that produced an 869 Mbyte MPG. When running that (as is) in VS9 the "Share"/burning module claimed that the output would require 2+ Gb of DVD diskspace which is nonsense.

I dealt with this problem using the program "DVDPatcher" obtainable here:

http://www.wincesoft.de/html/dvdpatcher.html

This program simply allows you to change the parameters in the MPG file header to match reality. The critical parameter is "Bitrate" so, if the actual bitrate of your MPG is less than 3.5Mbit, set the 3.5Mbit radio button. If the actual bitrate is more than 3.5Mbit, set the 8Mbit button. Make sure you also set the other parameters — Horizontal/Vertical Size, Aspect Ratio, Aspect Ratio and Framerate — to match your source material. Finally set the "Entire File" radio button and then hit the "Patch" button. Once processed in this way VS9 should see your MPG file as DVD compliant and handle DVD creation in a sensible way.

(NB — DVDPatcher writes directly to the source file so it's advisable to make copies of your source files and process the copies)

25. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by GeorgeW
    To use VideoStudio, open it up, and go immediately to SHARE/Create Disc.

Then add one of your captured mpeg files to the project, hit the gear icon (bottom left) and check "do not convert compliant mpeg file", add some menus, and burn to DVD Folders. Try this on a small capture just to get the hang of it.

If your capture has a small section at the end that you don't want, add a chapter at that point, then rt-click/Hide Chapter (this should prevent it from playing during normal playback).

Regards,
    George
    thats what started the problems. Ulead. Its makes the files too large to record on a DVD. and requires a master in 3 languages to understand. Everytime I hear the word Ulead, I raise my crusifix

26. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by joegib
    I've come across this problem when using Ulead VS9 on TV recordings captured by DVB-T devices . After converting the output to an MPG file its header may show a "Sys Bitrate" (per Gspot) of around 15 Mbit/s whereas the MPG file's actual bitrate (per PowerDVD) is around 3.5 Mbit/s. I think that VS9 carries out some wierd and wonderful calculation based on the Sys Bitrate and concludes that (a) the file has to be rendered, and (b) there isn't enough room for the rendered file on the DVD anyway!

I've just checked this with a DVB-T capture that produced an 869 Mbyte MPG. When running that (as is) in VS9 the "Share"/burning module claimed that the output would require 2+ Gb of DVD diskspace which is nonsense.

I dealt with this problem using the program "DVDPatcher" obtainable here:

http://www.wincesoft.de/html/dvdpatcher.html

This program simply allows you to change the parameters in the MPG file header to match reality. The critical parameter is "Bitrate" so, if the actual bitrate of your MPG is less than 3.5Mbit, set the 3.5Mbit radio button. If the actual bitrate is more than 3.5Mbit, set the 8Mbit button. Make sure you also set the other parameters — Horizontal/Vertical Size, Aspect Ratio, Aspect Ratio and Framerate — to match your source material. Finally set the "Entire File" radio button and then hit the "Patch" button. Once processed in this way VS9 should see your MPG file as DVD compliant and handle DVD creation in a sensible way.

(NB — DVDPatcher writes directly to the source file so it's advisable to make copies of your source files and process the copies)
    good to hear other have the same misery with Ulead. What you describe is much to much trouble to go through to be able to do what should be the simplest of operations. The Adobe software seems to be the most highly rates and viewed as heads above all others. Ill spend $100 on it or another software editing tool, versus spends the hours and hours and hours of wasted time and no results that would happen with Ulead.

27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think versions 3, 4, 5, of Movie factory, work well, I was not happy with 'video studio'

28. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I dont see why to bother with Movie Factory when we have Capwiz.

Search Comp PM
    Capwiz is the best interface to the ADSTech USB mpeg encoders for capturing your mpeg files. But it has limited AUTHORING functionality. That is where VideoStudio and/or MovieFactory help you to create better menus, and perhaps enhancements like Titles and such.

You should try a small capture, and create a test project just to get familiar with the workflow. But if you have in your mind that it will never work for you, then better not try it...

Regards,
    George

30. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by GeorgeW
    Capwiz is the best interface to the ADSTech USB mpeg encoders for capturing your mpeg files. But it has limited AUTHORING functionality. That is where VideoStudio and/or MovieFactory help you to create better menus, and perhaps enhancements like Titles and such.

You should try a small capture, and create a test project just to get familiar with the workflow. But if you have in your mind that it will never work for you, then better not try it...

Regards,
    George
    Oh I have done that with Ulead....over......and over......and over......so many wasted hours. CApwiz lets you put titles and everything you mention. I still dont see a need for Ulead. I do however need to cut off the end of the tape thats not used........and of course tried doing that with Ulead......over....and over......and over. The ADS tech support recommend to get the Adobe product......that tells you something about Ulead when the people who packaged it with their digizter recommend something else.......what were they thinking when the associated themselves with Ulead?