VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am trying to backup my owned DVD "The Holiday" using DVD Shrink 3.2 and I am getting this error after I hit open disc and the select ok: DVD Shrink encountered an error and can not continue. Invalid DVD Navigation structure.

How do I fix this or is there a better way to back it up?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Use Ripit4Me ,much better way to back it up.....
    " Who needs Google, my wife knows everything"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tim_ver
    I am trying to backup my owned DVD "The Holiday" using DVD Shrink 3.2 and I am getting this error after I hit open disc and the select ok: DVD Shrink encountered an error and can not continue. Invalid DVD Navigation structure.

How do I fix this or is there a better way to back it up?

Thanks
    As mentioned use RIPIT4ME then you can use DVD DECRYPTER & DVDSHRINK which is incorporated into RIPIT4ME.

http://www.ripit4me.org/guide.html
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ripit4me does NOT incorporate DVDShring or DVDDecryptor they have to be separately installed it justcalls them.

Having said that the latest version of Ripit4me has worked on all my DVDs where DVDShrink fails.

Another option is AnyDVD which runs in background - howevere even then DVDShrink might fail - then you have to use AnyDVD to Rip the disk to your HD, run FixVTS on the files and then run DVDShrink on the fixed VOBs. Bit of a pain but it does work and AnyDVD is updated regularly
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by IKnowNothing
    Ripit4me does NOT incorporate DVDShring or DVDDecryptor they have to be separately installed it justcalls them.

Having said that the latest version of Ripit4me has worked on all my DVDs where DVDShrink fails.
    It sure does incorporate DVD DECRYPTER to open up so it can RIP THE FILES & DVDSHRINK is given an option to open up the program. Don't confuse the OP. "It just calls them", WTF kind of advice is that!
    First of all RIPIT4ME is to rip the files & eliminate/cleanup the encrypted files. DVDSHRINK is no longer updated therefore ripping the files with it will not work. DVDSHRINK compresses the files so it will be able to fit on a single layer DVD disc. Get your facts straight so as you do not confuse the OP.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'd love to know what compression they are using.
    The d/l for Ripit4Me is 169KB ! so DVD Decrytptor and DVD Shrink have to be installed as seperate applications so they can be called. This is not advice it is a statement of operation at an application level - I have spent many years teaching the difference between called external applications and incorporated ones.

DVDShrink will still rip some (although a decreasing number) of mordern DVD (at least in the UK).

Ripit4me CALLS DVD Decrytor to extract the files from the DVD to the Hard Drive
    it then performs a number of clean up operations on the data
    it then CALL DVDShrink to transcode the mpeg stream - there is no compression!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by IKnowNothing

Ripit4me CALLS DVD Decrytor to extract the files from the DVD to the Hard Drive
    it then performs a number of clean up operations on the data
    it then CALL DVDShrink to transcode the mpeg stream - there is no compression!
    Hmmm seems like IKnowNothing actually knows more than Budz .... Ripit4me does not include dvddecrypter and/or dvdshrink in its installation ... both these apps have to be downloaded and installed seperately. ... the latest version of ripit4me does include fixvts (so no need to install this seperately).

Ripit4me is a great app ... it first checks for protected sectors (part of the new sony arcos/ripgaurd protection) on the disk and creates a psl (protected sectors list) file for use with dvddecrypter it then calls on dvddecrypter to rip a dvd to hdd (using this psl file to make ripping possible) then runs that rip through fixvts to eliminate unreferenced material etc (this unreferenced material is part of the sony accoos/ripgaurd protection found on some newer dvds) it then calls dvdshrink to shrink the cleaned up files ..... it works great but make sure you set it to check for updates as when new dvds are released the protection changes and ripit4me is continuously updated to deal with the new protections
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    This is the wrong forum. tim_ver should have posted this in the
    DVD Authoring forum.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think we all know what budz meant! R4Me in conjunction with DVDD and shrink should help Tim backup with success...
    It's all good!!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Some time ago, I realized that giving the best answer on this (or any other) forum involves using plain, ordinary, everyday language to get the idea across, and keep it as simple as possible.

With that in mind, I don't find anything wrong with the advice given by budz, in that he concisely gets the idea across in simple terms. Semantically, it may have been more precise to use the phrase "incorporates the usage of"...but to the average person, the change probably (or would it be better to use the word "realistically") wouldn't add much to the knowledge imparted.

I also understand what IKnowNothing is saying, although I generally reserve the use of the word "calls" to apply to functions (whether internal or external) rather than entire applications, for which I use the word "shell".

It's all just words, and how different people use them. Conveying an idea is what counts, not what words are used to get there.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I wasn't saying there was anything wrong with Budz advice .... i was merely pointing out the fact that ripit4me does not incorporate dvddecrypter or dvdshrink within its install and that these two apps must be installed seperately.... there's no point advising someone to use ripit4me and then implying that installing ripit4me is all that is required when in fact the other 2 apps are required as well ..... if a newbie were to try using ripit4me without first installing dvddecrypter/dvdshrink they would soon be back here ranting that ripit4me doesn't work ... it is therefore neccessary to point out that Budz is incorrect with his statement that dvddecrypter/dvdshrink is included within ripit4me
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well said VegasBud !!!! simple as possible ......
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a similar problem with this exact movie. The only difference is that when I put it in my DVD burner drive and then go to the drive it says no disc in drive. I've even tried using AnyDVD and still it doesn't come up at all as if nothing is in the drive.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by richard_m_morales
    I have a similar problem with this exact movie.
    Did you try a similar solution?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Abond
    Originally Posted by richard_m_morales
    I have a similar problem with this exact movie.
    Did you try a similar solution?
    No I didn't my problem is that when I put it in the drive it's like there is no dvd in the drive it. It's not reading it at all I can't even play the movie.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Then your problem is far away from "similar".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by t0nee1
    I think we all know what budz meant! R4Me in conjunction with DVDD and shrink should help Tim backup with success...
    It's all good!!!!!
    Thanks t0nee1 for clarifying that! You understood what I meant!

psx_pirate: I never said nor mentioned that DVDSHRINK & DVD DECRYPTER were built into the RIPIT4ME program. There's a big difference and as you can see other members knew exactly what I was saying. I never said those 2 programs were built into RIPIT4ME. I used the term incorporated and I could have been more specific to say DVDSHRINK & DVD DECRYPTER needs to be installed separately. But if people would read the RIPIT4ME guide first before posting problems then there wouldn't be discussions like this that would need to be clarified. Which is why I always post the RIPIT4ME link for people so they can read and learn what is needed for that particular software. Sad to say but there are people who visit this site and expect miracle responses just because they're lazy and don't want to read the guides. I think it's safe to say read the guides and ask questions later if you don't understand. Nuff said!
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Abond
    Then your problem is far away from "similar".
    OK it's not the same problem but it's a problem with the same movie. Any ideas why it won't show up at all when I put it in. And it acting as if I didn't put the movie in the drive.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @ morales
    Is that the only disk your having trouble with? is disk new ,old ,dirty,scratched? try a diff. disk...you say it won't play..perhaps a bad disk,take back for exchange...
    finally are you having trouble ripping, is that what you mean????
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by t0nee1
    @ morales
    Is that the only disk your having trouble with? is disk new ,old ,dirty,scratched? try a diff. disk...you say it won't play..perhaps a bad disk,take back for exchange...
    finally are you having trouble ripping, is that what you mean????
    Yep but it won't play either. It's as if the drive is empty. It wasn't really scratched. I was thinking maybe it was just the movie The Holiday itself.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK I'm trying at my aunt's house now but this time it read it but I got the same error that he did with this and Rocky Balboa as well. I'm using RipIt4Me as well to see if this will work following this guide http://www.my-guides.net/en/content/view/34/26/.

I just got a Macbook yesterday. Anyone know what programs they have that are similar to DVD Shrink, Any DVD, DVD Decryptor, and RipIt4Me that are available for Mac. Any help would be appreciated.
    Quote Quote