VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi I've been trying to figure out what is better or what is a good capture card to Capturing a VHS tape to convert it to DvD. I've been looking at the Plextor PX-TV402U - TV-PX-TV402U AND auppauge WinTV PVR USB2 MCE Kit - TV-HAU-PVR-USB2MCE

Witch one should I buy? I want to pick a good one.

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. The Hauppauge WinTV PVR USB2 MCE Kit, this is the only card I ever owned, would be a good choice. Best mpeg encoder on the market IMO.
    Do you have XP Media Center on your computer?
    If no, then you would just need the WinTv PVR USB2.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks for the reply, no I don't have XP Media Center. Just running a normal Xp.

What do you like about the Hauppauge WinTV PVR USB2 MCE Kit?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You may want to go to Hauppauge's website.

The MCE is for MEDIA CENTER.

For XP or pro, just use the PVR-150

I did,

works fine.
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by rushhh
    thanks for the reply, no I don't have XP Media Center. Just running a normal Xp.

What do you like about the Hauppauge WinTV PVR USB2 MCE Kit?
    Ok, you want the PVR-USB2. The mpeg quality is what I love about it.

Theres a few reasons to purchase this model over the 150. The PVR-USB2 is a seperate encoder, the 150 is a internal card and relys on your computer's CPU. You may need to close down other applications in order to acheive the best mpeg quality.
    Some 150 users have had audio issues, from to loud to low. Other 150 users have complain that the picture quality tends to have to much red hues.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i was just going to post a question about this card. i wasnt the pvr usb2 model, but like you said, there is two different ones, the regular one and the mce one. from what i can tell in the pictures, the only difference is the media center one has a different remote and a separate usb ir receiver.

right now i have xp pro sp2, and i dont plan on getting media center or vista anytime soon. so would the media center model and its remote still work with sp2? i was looking on ebay and could only find the mce model, not the regular model..,.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I've seen results from the Plextor and I have to say it's the cat's meow (pun intended: witch caturing card...)

Plus tigerdirect.ca has a good deal on it right now.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have the WinTV PVR MCE and also running Windows XP NOT Media Center. Before purchasing the card I contacted Hauppauge and asked if it would work on my system. There were two choices I was looking at the PVR USB 2 MCE and the PVR-150 here was my answer from Hauppauge.

The products from your links are completely different. The first link is the PVR-USB-2 Media Center Edition unit. Its an external device with a Media Center remote control. The unit itself can work on a regular Windows XP Pro machine, but the remote again has limited functionally.

The other product is a PVR-150 retail model. It is an internal card and it comes with a Hauppauge remote control. This kit is actually meant for a Windows XP Pro machine.

I would recommend that you get the PVR-150 1045 model.

Since the PVR-150 model was a PCI card and I did not have an available PCI slot I went with the USB MCE and I have to say that I have NO complaints. It works well with my system and captures nice quality movies. Since the Remote that comes with it is made for MCE it will have very limited functionality. Basically alot of the bottons on the remote will do nothing, but it will work to change the channels in WinTV and adjust the volume.

The DVR scheduler works well and records the shows I want. And it uses Hardware capture which is nice. One suggestion I have is that you verify that your system has USB 2.0.

My system specs are
    3.2 Ghz CPU
    36 GB Raptor 10,000 RPM internal Hard drive
    320 GB external Hard drive
    ATI X800 Pro primary video card
    ATI 9200 secondary video card
    3 Monitors and a TV hooked up to the video cards (this is great for multitasking)
    1 GB Ram.
    The TV hooked up to the video card is a great feature to have to see what a captured video will look like without having to burn it to DVD
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by sitlet

right now i have xp pro sp2, and i dont plan on getting media center or vista anytime soon. so would the media center model and its remote still work with sp2? i was looking on ebay and could only find the mce model, not the regular model..,.
    You could buy the MCE model and then order the standard PVR remote from Hauppauge. Its just $9.99 plus $2.99 shipping.
    Thats what I did. The MCE upgrade kit is $39.99 plus shipping. So its the way to go.
    Quote Quote