VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gll99
    In the Canadian Sears catalogue there is a Toshiba plasma tv 42" model xga 1024 x 768. It is said to be 720p scanning rate and 768 lines of resolution.

Is xga resolution 1024 x 768 really 720p and HD or is it really only 480i or 480p.

Or is it really 720p but in a 4:3 aspect ratio as opposed to the similar 50" said to be 1366 x 768 wxga 16:9 aspect ratio?
    A CRT is different from fixed pixel displays like plasma and LCD. Like a CRT computer monitor, a CRT TV can scan various numbers of lines behind a shadow mask. A CRT TV can also scan interlace or progressive. An HD CRT typically scans either 1080i (540 lines per field) or 480p sometimes 720p. Viewable resolution is limited by the shadow mask (800x600 to 1024x720 typ.)

Plasma and LCD are fixed pixel resolution and always progressive. 1024x768 is a typical native display resolution for a plasma, 1366x768 is typical for LCD and some plasma. Some models are available with a native display resolution up to 1920x1080. The key points for these TV sets are display resolution is always fixed and scan is always progressive. Input resolutions of 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i are scaled in each TV to the native display resolution. 480i and 1080i must be deinterlaced. The quality of the deinterlace and scaling in the TV electronics determines the quality of the 480i and 1080i channels (most of them). Lower priced Plasma and LCD sets are known for poor display quality for 480i in particular. Evaluate 480i performance before you buy. 80% plus of what you watch is 480i.

PS: Commercial movie DVDs are typically progressive 720x480p. A good progressive DVD player will have great performance with HD CRT, LCD or plasma sets when set for 480p progressive and connected analog component (YPbPr) or digital component (HDMI). Upscaling players might look a bit better if set to 1080i for CRT or 720p for medium resolution LCD or plasma. Mileage will vary.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Take a look at the Olevia 532H and 537H. I wouldn't really recommend the 532H because it uses a different video processor and has few inputs and options and a lesser warranty but it's close to your price range and still pretty decent. The 537H however uses a better processor, gives a great picture, has lot's of inputs, 1 year in home warranty and as others have already pointed out you'd really want at least a 37" widescreen to replace a 32" standard TV anyway. You can get it for about $735 with free shipping at buy.com. It does have a few little quirks like a 15 second start up time, 2 seconds to change channels, have to scroll through the entire list of inputs to get to the one you want, limited PIP options (ie TV can only be paired with HDMI) and it has a small but bright blue LED next to the power button that stays on when the TV is off but you can't beat the picture quality for the price, or probably twice the price, even SD channels look very good. AVSforum has a long thread about these, and other, models and there are several reviews online as well.

If you happen to have a Sam's club membership, you might also be interested in the Vizio TVs. I haven't seen them in person but lot's of people on AVS seem to like them and Sam's has a really good return policy.

Looks like the price has gone back up at buy.com but buydig and beach camera have it for $734 with free shipping now.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV
    * displaying 720 lines means you would see scan lines from a close viewing distance. Check this out in the store. If you don't see the actual scan lines from an HD source, the CRT shadow mask allows less than 720 lines to be displayed.
    Best Buy has this one on sale in store for $600. That is the point where I will give it your test and if I see the scan lines, I may bring one home. The old 27" Hitachi takes a couple of minutes to fill the screen when it is first turned on.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Having viewed each additional post to this thread for some weeks now, I'm still convinced that CRT is a better deal all around if you're viewing mixed video sources. CRT does have size and weight limitations, of course; if you want a 42" set, etc., CRT is out of the question.

A really nice performing LCD or plasma costs plenty. Current pricing just doesn't seem to be worth the expense. But this weekend I toured a high-end a/v shop I haven't visited in quite a while. They have some 32" and bigger LCD's displayed there in the $5000-plus range. Not much noise in those units, but by golly I still see a lot of detail missing from the image, as well as oversaturated color and some colors missing altogether. I viewed a program with CNN newscasters on air, then an HDTV movie broadcast, and the frustrated sales guy was nice enough to play a bit of an HD-DVD movie for me; everyone looked as if they were wearing a ton of makeup -- no definition in the faces or clothing, and shadows in the background blocked up, plus too much edge sharpening, etc. I played with the image setting menus -- just couldn't get accurate flesh tones out of any of the sets, period.

For many folks these deficiencies don't seem to matter, just as many people think all audio amplifiers "sound alike". For those who can't see or hear a difference, I'm envious: I could save a lot of trouble and $$$ if I weren't so touchy about it!
    Last edited by sanlyn; 20th Mar 2014 at 09:57.
    Quote Quote  
  5. You can get the Sony 34" widescreen XBR CRT, the top of the line TVs, for $600 with free shipping from CC today and tomorrow. I'm not a real fan of Sony reliability, but the XBR TVs have pretty incredibile PQ.
    http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=147206&catOid=-12868&c=1&cm_re=main%20marquee-_-No%20interest%20for%2012%20months%20on%20TVs%20$29 9%20and%20up-_-Sony%2034
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by gshelley61
    Originally Posted by zzyzzx
    It seems to be getting hard not to buy a LCD TV since the retailers and manufacturers are pushing them. I'd love to see a 20" or 23" CRT type HDTV, but I haven't seen one yet (with a built in tuner, of course).
    Here's a 20" Toshiba CRT with both ATSC/QAM and NTSC tuners plus a built in DVD player...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16889253077&ATT=89-253-077&CMP=OTC-Froogle
    Very timely thread, as I am researching finding a smaller TV set for my mother that won't be totally obsolte in 2009. Saw this on amazon, but am confused by this part, since the TV has ATSC/QAM tuners built in..

CONSUMER ALERT: This TV has an analog broadcast tuner and will require a converter box after February 17, 2009 to receive over-the-air broadcasts with an antenna because of the nation's transition to digital broadcasting. The TV should continue to work as before with cable and satellite TV services, gaming consoles, VCRs, DVD players, and similar products.
    ==
    She has just basic cable (no box) & no OTA antenna. She just needs small TV that can handle basic stuff & hopefully still work after 2009. Admittedly, I'm still a bit confused with some of this, since my home setup is current already(HDTV, Digital cable box, etc)
    Quote Quote  
  7. I would to to a store and have a look at some of these TV's before drawing any conclusions. I own a 32" Sony CRT TV, a Panasonic 17" LCD SDTV, and a LG 20" LCD HDTV.

I am not sure about satellite, but with cable the FCC has mandated that even analog cable has to be supplied with local broadcasts in HD. It requires a QAM tuner to receive these HD programs which is why I chose an LG. The other choice was a Toshiba. I have set the LG next to the Sony to compare. The performance is closer than I would have expected plus the freedom from noise and the sharpness is very nice.

The Panasonic is an older TC-17LA1 LCD and does not fair well against either the new LG LCD or the Sony CRT TV.

[edit1]This was my second choice.
    http://shopping.yahoo.com/p:Toshiba%2019HLV87%20Television:1994676818:page=details;_yl...NlYwNzaWJzcGVj
    but the LG has dropped to $409 with free shipping at Circuit City's online store.

[edit2]CBC
    CONSUMER ALERT: This TV has an analog broadcast tuner and will require a converter box after February 17, 2009 to receive over-the-air broadcasts with an antenna because of the nation's transition to digital broadcasting. The TV should continue to work as before with cable and satellite TV services, gaming consoles, VCRs, DVD players, and similar products.
    Not sure were you got that. The datasheet says it has NTSC, ATSC, and QAM tuners which is everything needed for standard broadcast ( NTSC ), HD ( ATSC ), and HD cable ( QAM ).
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thanks that's what I thought too (the tuners). The copy/paste was from Amazon site. May just have been a mistake
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The picture after Feb 2009 is this:

An ATSC tuner will be required to get over the air digital broadcasts. Older analog TV sets will need an external ASTC tuner to get over the air broadcasts.

Cable will continue to have two digit analog channels that will work as before without a cable box. The number of analog channels will decrease over time since each takes the space of ~10 MPeg2 SD or 2 MPeg2 HD cable premium channels. The FCC minimum is the "locals" need to be carried in analog.

Local digital channels (SD and HD) will be available to a QAM tuner even with basic cable service. Premium digital channels (three digit) are encrypted and require either a cable box or cable card to decrypt.

Satellite tuners won't change much. Analog output conversions of the sat digital channels will continue to be offered.

Best solution for a new TV is get one with an analog NTSC tuner, an ATSC digital tuner and a QAM digital tuner. Optional is cable card capability.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV
    The picture after Feb 2009 is this: . . .
    Thanks for that summary, edDV.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 20th Mar 2014 at 09:58.
    Quote Quote  
  11. yes, thanks. Seems that that Toshiba 20" would be a good choice for her then.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by samijubal
    You can get the Sony 34" widescreen XBR CRT, the top of the line TVs, for $600 with free shipping from CC today and tomorrow. I'm not a real fan of Sony reliability, but the XBR TVs have pretty incredibile PQ.
    http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=147206&catOid=-12868&c=1&cm_re=main%20marquee-_-No%20interest%20for%2012%20months%20on%20TVs%20$29 9%20and%20up-_-Sony%2034

190lbs .be sure you have health insurance to cover back surgery .lol
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MJA
    Originally Posted by samijubal
    You can get the Sony 34" widescreen XBR CRT, the top of the line TVs, for $600 with free shipping from CC today and tomorrow. I'm not a real fan of Sony reliability, but the XBR TVs have pretty incredibile PQ.

190lbs .be sure you have health insurance to cover back surgery .lol
    If they offered the Helium balloon option, I'd buy it.
    Quote Quote  
  14. They deliver and set up for free.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Best Buy just got in the Samgsung TXT3093WH
    $539.00 plus tax.

ASTC but No QAM tuner, no DVI or PC input.

The Sound Leveler seems to work nicely.
    The Universal Remote works the Panasonic DVD player. The buttons on the remote are well laid out, intuitive and have a nice feel.
    The poor cable signal is exposed by this tube but DVD's look quite nice. There is even a Black Level adjustment for HDMI inputs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by samijubal
    I have a 32 inch SONY XBR in my livingroom that is 12 years old and still going on strong. The sucka is quite heavy at about 265 lbs. But I do notice at times the audio will come out before the picture loads on the screen. I won't buy a big screen LCD TV until this one breaks. When it does I'll be buying a 40 inch SONY XBR LCD TV or a SAMSUNG 40 inch LCD TV.

The SONY 34 inch XBR at Circuit City is a good price. I paid $1365.00 for my 32 inch XBR back in 1995.
    Quote Quote