I have a p2 notebook that I am using now when I travel. I have simple needs for it - read e-mail, do simple editing of wp and sh files, surf the web, etc. I want to be able to use it to upload files from my digi cam and from both my new and old digi videocam. I am using Linux -DSL (damn small linux) on it now. It has 512 mb of ram and presently a 12 gb hard drive. It will soon have a 40 gb 7200 rpm hard drive.

I am looking for an external linux compatible device that will connect my notebook to both my old video cam and new video cam (old one only has red and yellow, usb and svideo ports, new one has red and yellow, firewire and svideo ports). I don't need both cameras connect to the computer at the at the same time, of course. I want a device that will process the whole file within itself and output the file to my computer that will be burned to a dvd or vcd. I had done some research on this question already and find some of these cards require the computer to do a part of, or most of, the work. This is a bit of a challenge for a P2. What would be a wonderful bonus is if this card were also a tv tuner. Do I ask for much?

Can you make some recommendations? I have a dazzle usb dvc "box" that did a wonderful job of this but I cannot find an references or drivers to make it work in Linux. It did a really good job on a pentium 1 with 128 mb of ram...I am guessing if I can make it work it would really fly on the work that I have to do.