VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all, I have 2GB AMD 64 X2 3800 with ATI X550 and it take about 60hrs to convert a 2hr Divix file to MPEG2 using Premiere 2.0 Mainconcept with Noise filter (it help for block noise). I am thinking of buying newer processor but seems that even a Core 2 Quad only 3x faster making it a 20hrs process. I want to know is buying a faster graphic card is going to help or it is only determined by CPU? Thanks for info.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Encoding time is almost fully dependent on CPU speed, and to a lesser amount, memory, bus speed and hard drive transfer rates. Graphics cards don't really come into the picture.

I use a X2 3800+ but it takes about 2 hours to convert to DVD using ConvertX. That must include a some filtering if that's what's taking all the time. Mainconcept is usually fairly fast.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, without filter only took about the same time/faster (ie 2hr movie also 2hr/less process) with CBR. Problem is I have few movies with block noise and it will take so much time to process. Also the quad core is still around $800.
    Well it seems that I can't do anything for now. Anyone knows better filter to get rid of block noise that is significantly faster. It is ok if it can work with TMPGENC express 3. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Heard about a project that make a high end GPU process parallel task such as video transcoding up to 20x faster. Anyone know anything about when it will be ready?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Probably never. GPU manufacturers would have almost no market for something like that. They make all their money on gamers buying two high-end cards each. Besides the encoder would need to be written specifically for each GPUs instruction sets.
    FB-DIMM are the real cause of global warming
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, it's the cuda from NVidia and Close To Metal CTM from Ati. Both company seems about to release the SDK for it. I agree that it is not the GPU manufacturer concern but company like Adobe (who make money selling premiere) may be interested.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Block noise should also be handled by the decoder (or 'filter') used. You could access the filter properties of Divx or Xvid or whatever is installed in various ways, in Media Player's properties for example or with the Radlight Filter Manager.
    It may be a bit tricky because your editing application might use a differnt decoder than DirectShow and some don't even tell which one.
    It's however worth trying. Set post processing and deblocking to max.
    Disable 'film effect' as it adds noise.
    Some temporal filtering may also help small block's noise if your app offers it.

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Adding a 2nd hard disk might help as a destination disk, it works to cut my TmpGenc DVD Author processing time by about 1/2.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh OK, so I should apply filter in the decoder itself (DIVIX/XVID?) instead of the editor (Tmpgenc/premiere). I am using K-Lite Mega Codec so I have both DiVX and XVID. Do I set both?

Edit: when I preview using TMPGEnc seems that ffdshow icon show up. Is that mean it use ffdshow decoder?

I have use different Hardisk from source and target. But my target is my OS disk. Do you think I should add a third disk?
    Quote Quote