VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Desperate to find another DVD recorder with a hard drive I found a few Toshiba's RD-XS35 DVD Player/Recorder with 160 GB Hard Drive at Amazon.
    I have a Pioneer 640H-s and really like it but knowing how things can fail and how hard drives are disappearing I wanted a backup and the Toshiba was all I can find that looked like a decent HD-Recorder.
    I was reading a buyer's review and it stated that the Toshiba would NOT record from HBO, Showtime, Starz, etc. He says the Toshiba will NOT let you write a recorded program from these channels to a disc.
    Any Toshiba owners out there that can verify it this is true or not?
    If so, I need to cancel my order fast.
    Also with my Pioneer I can totally bypass the TVGOS and set my Sat timer, run a direct input to the Pioneer and set the timer manually on the Pioneer and all is perfect.
    I've read that the Toshiba will NOT allow this and I dont have any type of input other than the Sat (DishNet).
    Again if this is true and I cant bypass the TV Guide setup or just leave it alone I would need to rethink the purchase.
    If any owners or informed could help with these couple of questions I would be most grateful.
    Thanks so much.
    NL
    Edit>.>Just read this:
    ***the TV guide is very limited. It's a great feature - the best I've seen with DVRs, but you're locked into using it. There is no other option to set timer recordings based only on the time/date/channel, and so if the TV guide has trouble finding your listings, you're out of luck***

This would imply that you cant record by manually inputting a timer event and must use the TVGuide feature.
    I simply want to input one of my Sat outputs directly into the Toshiba input and manually record.
    Is this not Possible?
    Thanks again!

Amazon had 3 units at 11pm 3/12/07 sold from Amazon for $311.27 and free shipping. They were gone by 2am, 3 hours later. HD's are going fast.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I record Starz all the time with a D-R4 from DN. I don't have HBO or Showtime on DN.
    Quote Quote  
  3. My misgiving about the Toshiba hdd units is that there is no known method to replace the hdd if it fails. I have seen the service manuals and there is no information in them about it. At least with Pioneers there is a well documented method to do it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I read somewhere that it was only $40.00 to replace the HD for Toshibas. Think it was at AVS.
    Anyway been reading all night and it seems that the Toshiba (XS35 at least) flags most all as copy once and that is only to DVD-Ram not to DVD-R. Not looking good.
    Amazon has already closed my order...cant cancel. So shipping costs to return if things dont start to look better.
    I really appreciate the info, guys and hope to see some postive posts later.
    Thanks for taking time to stop in and offer your input.
    To be sure there should be a way to get around the TVGOS and do manual recordings straight from one of the inputs. (the way I do the Pioneer)
    Regards,
    NL
    Darn Pioneer! The 640H-s finally got things right and now Pioneer just quits selling them. Really a pisser.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by trhouse
    My misgiving about the Toshiba hdd units is that there is no known method to replace the hdd if it fails. I have seen the service manuals and there is no information in them about it. At least with Pioneers there is a well documented method to do it.
    Here's a bit of info on the Toshiba HDD. Not a replacement but it does explain how to use Seagate tools.

Here's the link -

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=9218865&&#post9218865
    Quote Quote  
  6. I've been able to record all my cable channels, including HBO, using the s-video output of the HD Motorola cable box with my XS34 and XS35 without having CPRM issues (so far). That may be specific to my cable box or cable system, however. The CPRM flags may pass through to your DVD recorder with other cable boxes or on other cable systems.

I get CPRM flagging issues if I try to record HBO using the unit's internal tuner (HBO is on analog cable channel 14 in our area). Then, I can only record to the hard drive and/or dub to or record to DVD-RAM. Those DVD-RAM VRO files can't be successfully ripped to my computer for re-authoring due to CPRM.

If you get CPRM flags with the s-video output of your cable box, try passing it through a "copy box", "video stabilizer", "video clarifier" or a TBC. I have used a hacked Lite-On DVD recorder as a pass-through device to bypass copy protection, too.
    Quote Quote  
  7. It is possible to set up a manual recording with the XS35. It is still done within TVGOS but setting up a manual recording bypasses the schedule grid.

Go here and take a look at the XS34 manual. For some reason there is no XS35 manual but the process is the same on the XS34,XS54 and the XS55:

http://tacpservice.toshiba.com/ConsumerProductSupport/Manuals/dvdr.asp

As far as CP is concerned this seems to be more a function of your provider. People have reported different results. So your milage may vary.

One way to possibly eliminate CP issues is to try this. If you find a channel that gives a CP alert try placing your 640 between your source and the XS35. I believe the CP alert will go away. I noticed this when I was using a Magnavox with component inputs being used as a component to svideo converter. When I placed the Magnavox between the STB and my Toshiba I was able to record On Demand content. I could not when the Toshiba was connected directly. I thought it might be because of the component/svideo conversion. I then used a Pana es40v and placed it between the STB and the Toshiba connecting using svideo. No CP alert when recording On Demand. Not sure what is going on but it works at my address. Again your mileage may vary. I suggest anyone with a Toshiba and a restictive content provider at least give this a try.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I read somewhere that it was only $40.00 to replace the HD for Toshibas.
    That is pretty remarkable considering that is about the cost of the drive alone plus tech time is usually billed at $100/hour out of warranty.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thanks for all the info everyone.
    1st, trhouse I'm pretty sure the guy at AVS forum was talking about doing it himself. I agree it would be impossible to have Toshiba service to do it that cheap.

Thanks for the link, next. That was my next move tonight when I got time so I appreciate your direction.

samijubal, gshelley61, I appreciate your help also. I do have an old "Digital Video Filter" I can try if I do get flags or copy once pop-ups.
    I am using DishNet by the way and havent had any problems, even with HBO, running direct to the Pioneer.
    I did find some postive reviews and posts around the net so maybe it will do what I need if I dont get tangled up in the TVGOS menus.
    With the Pio I didnt have to go into the TV guide menu to set it up. Just do it all manually from the direct input.
    Thanks again and I'll keep checking the thread if anyone wants to add any info.
    I have a month to return it to Amazon unopened for a refund if the manual and further reading causes me to conclude I might have problems. But then again with Hard Drives disappearing so fast I might should try to work with it so as to hold on to it in case or when the Pioneer fails.
    It's another "once you get used to it you dont know how you did without it" things.
    Many thanks,
    NL
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Toshiba errors are mostly confined to Comcast (now Time Warner). In the past couple of years, I have gotten large volumes of error reports on Toshiba CP.

This is one reason I'm hesitant to move to Toshiba still.

I'm not sure how it reacts to coax, or if the CP errors are just on the other inputs.

I think having to buy and place another device in the middle is crap. You'd have to let the thing run 24/7 or separately program it, to timer record from the Toshiba. That's one reason I don't want the Toshiba XS-34/35 at all, the fact that it's fan ran 24/7.

I plan to buy another RCA, see if the audio whine is my machine only or all of them.

It's a shame the JVC '300' series HDD machine didn't make it to the USA.

Toshiba looks good, but it has a list of quirks. This is one of them.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by NiteLite
    I read somewhere that it was only $40.00 to replace the HD for Toshibas. Think it was at AVS.
    Anyway been reading all night and it seems that the Toshiba (XS35 at least) flags most all as copy once and that is only to DVD-Ram not to DVD-R. Not looking good.
    Amazon has already closed my order...cant cancel. So shipping costs to return if things dont start to look better.
    I hope this is positive, but I do business with Amazon.com quite a bit, and they have a 30-day refund policy for all unopened items that were fulfilled by them. To my mind, losing shipping beats losing full price. I've also recently had Amazon.com refund me through their A-Z guarantee, because something I ordered through a merchant affiliate didn't show up, and said merchant wouldn't refund. All this has nothing to do with your original problem, but I just wanted to put this out there so you know you wouldn't have to be stuck with anything. Now, if you bought through a merchant rather than Amazon.com, well...
    Quote Quote  
  12. Thanks for the info, LS.
    I did look for JVC but no luck.
    I also dont understand the fan running 24/7. Some reviewers claim it does some claim it doesn't. Strange... Hopefully it is a Comcast thing and work better with DishNetwork.
    IF not clear I run a S-Video and analog audio from the Sat receiver direct to the Recorder. I run the Digital output to my Denon Receiver for 5.1 broadcasts and direct viewing from the Sat. Mostly I watch thru the Pioneer Recorder which is digitally ran to the Denon.

Anyone think Pioneer will ever release another HD-Recorder?

MissIrisM...I also consider Amazon very fair about accepting returns and other problems if that was your point.
    No I didnt buy from their Marketplace. I bought direct from Amazon.
    Thanks again all,
    Regards,
    NL
    Off to read this "book" they call the Manual. Wow, big!
    Quote Quote  
  13. The Toshiba recorders before the TV guide only run the fan when powered on, the TV guide recorders run the fan constantly.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by samijubal
    The Toshiba recorders before the TV guide only run the fan when powered on, the TV guide recorders run the fan constantly.
    Thanks for the clarification. I cant see any reason to have the fan run 24/7 for days even if it's not being used. Wonder how long before that part wears out.
    Been reading the long thread at AVS forum and still have mixed thoughts about like the posts are over there.
    Still appreciate the info all,
    NL
    Quote Quote  
  15. That fan should run for years before wearing out. It's basically the same as a PC CPU fan, which will normally last a long time, even if the PC is always on.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by samijubal
    That fan should run for years before wearing out. It's basically the same as a PC CPU fan, which will normally last a long time, even if the PC is always on.
    Albeit get noisier as the months and years go by. The bearings wear out and that 24/7 fan will start to sound like an outboard motor in a year or two.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  17. Ok...if basically the same as a Computer (CPU) fan I have a little more confidence in it's lasting ability. My computer, built in 2002, is only a little more noticable in loudness if any.
    I could see the HDD wearing out long before the CPU fan so a little more for the postive side. The Toshiba arrived today so it's decision time soon.
    Thanks for the info. It all is helping a lot.
    Regards,
    NL
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My DVD player just bit the dust and I’m considering the Toshiba RD-XS35.

Can you record one a TV program on one TV station and watch another program on another station ..?

I have also read a lot of good and bad on reviews about the TV guide. Are those of you having problems using a cable box / satellite Dish ..? And to those of you who are not having issues, what are you using ..? I do not have a cable box, I just plug the coax cable right into my VCR …

If anyone would be so kind as to respond to my questions it will be greatly appreciated

Thanks
    Cisco_56
    Quote Quote  
  19. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MissIrisM
    I hope this is positive, but I do business with Amazon.com quite a bit, and they have a 30-day refund policy for all unopened items that were fulfilled by them. To my mind, losing shipping beats losing full price. I've also recently had Amazon.com refund me through their A-Z guarantee, because something I ordered through a merchant affiliate didn't show up, and said merchant wouldn't refund. All this has nothing to do with your original problem, but I just wanted to put this out there so you know you wouldn't have to be stuck with anything. Now, if you bought through a merchant rather than Amazon.com, well...
    Your mileage may vary. Three years ago I bought an unlocked GSM phone from an Amazon reseller. The phone was supposed to be a tri-band Nokia phone and was advertised as such. The phone, in reality, was a crippled dual band AT&T rebranded phone that was missing one of the bands used overseas. I told Amazon about it and their attitude was "Too bad. So sad. Take it up with the reseller. Not our problem." So I tried to take it up with the reseller. He ignored my email until I sent him one that said "I just protested your charge with my credit card company. I can prove that you advertised a tri-band phone and this is a dual band phone. I'm going to win this protest." He then told me he had been "out of town" and very reluctantly agreed to a refund. I am now very very careful when buying from Amazon resellers because I don't believe Amazon will make things right if the transaction goes bad. Maybe recently they have changed and maybe now they really do make good on bad transactions, but I got no love from Amazon 3 years ago and it's worth pointing that out that if they did that 3 years ago, they may still do it today. Amazon does indeed make things good if they sell it and I've had a positive experience of doing returns with them, but your mileage may vary a lot of it's a 3rd party selling it through them.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by NiteLite
    Anyone think Pioneer will ever release another HD-Recorder?
    They have released some new models since the 640 . . . just not for the U.S. market. Check out this thread:
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=814139&page=5&pp=30
    I'm not sure exactly where they are in this 9 pages or so, but I know I saw links to pages for the Euro and Japanese market models, some with digital tuners. Won't do us much good here, though, unfortunately.

There was also (reportedly) a hint in a Costco Canada flyer about some new Pioneer model that was supposedly coming, but I'm quite skeptical. If the U.S. market for dvd recorders bombed out big time, how is a market with the population of Canada going to merit new models ?
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote