VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I have a confusion,
    Today there are n number of applications that convert a DVD in to Divx, on the fly,.... my question is......does the audio effects of Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS sound remain in the decoded movie. Is there a way to check if a Divx movie includes the Doldy Digital 5.1 and DTS. Like may be gspot.
    Also if my player certifies having Dolby Digital and DTS decoder (BTW its Philips DVP 5500S) then will it also encode the Dolby Digital and DTS audio present in Divx.

Help me on this. It would guide me on buying me a home threater speaker system...Thanks in advance.....
    C2D 6300@3.21Ghz|Vista Ultimate x64|P5B-Dlx Wifi|Transcend 4 GB 800 Mhz|XFX 8800GT 512 MB Alpha Dog Edition|Samsung 19" 940BW|1.5 TeraByte Storage|ASUS SATA DVDRW|Altec Lansing ATP5|APC 800 Smart UPS.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Don't know about the so-called .divx container, but the .avi container will support AC3 and DTS audio along side the divx video. As .Divx is essentially an extension of the .avi container, it should also support the same audio. G-spot will tell you what audio you have. I usually keep the 5.1 AC3 audio when converting to Xvid, although DTS is usually too big to worry about.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm pretty sure TDA will allow you to keep the AC3 audio from a DVD.

http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/tda3.html
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    mmm ok now would my player as well be able to successfully encode the DTS n Dolby from tha Divx file (assuming it has both the effects. My player is Philips DVP 5500S
    C2D 6300@3.21Ghz|Vista Ultimate x64|P5B-Dlx Wifi|Transcend 4 GB 800 Mhz|XFX 8800GT 512 MB Alpha Dog Edition|Samsung 19" 940BW|1.5 TeraByte Storage|ASUS SATA DVDRW|Altec Lansing ATP5|APC 800 Smart UPS.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sam9s
    mmm ok now would my player as well be able to successfully encode the DTS n Dolby from tha Divx file (assuming it has both the effects. My player is Philips DVP 5500S
    Maybe. It's a long explanation, but you'll have to try and it see if it works or not. Some have reported problems with various Philips models, others have reported no problems. If your video bitrate is low, it will probably work. If your video bitrate is high, it probably won't work. Consider any video bitrate above 1500 Kbps to be high. You will just have to test and see what your player does and doesn't like.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sam9s
    Why encode/recode?
    It should only be necessary to add the video part/file... or not?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok my player was successfully able to play dolby digital out of Divx. But what about DTS. When I encode my DVD to Divx it uses AC3 to encode the Dolby sound in the Divx file. How am I suppose to get the DTS in the Divx file. Simply mean current encoders can get the dolby sound in a divx file can we get the DTS as well...........kindly guide...
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The easiest way to get DTS audio with Divx video:
    1) Rip the DVD and rip the DTS audio into a single file with whatever ripper you use.
    2) Encode the ripped video file to Divx by whatever way you want.
    3) Use VirtualDub to mux the DTS audio by adding the DTS file as an audio stream and saving the output as "Direct Stream Copy".

Look for guides on how to use VirtualDub if you need help with step 3.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Dr Divx (free) will let you use either MP3 or AC3 audio.

Provided your source material contains the AC3 as well, but even at that - you have to tell Dr Divx when encoding to use the AC3 otherwise it will default to MP3.

When I backup some of my DVDs to DIVX, then I can tell it to use the AC3.
    Whatever doesn't kill me, merely ticks me off. (Never again a Sony consumer.)
    Quote Quote