- AVI Synth 2
    - ImgBurn
    - DVD Decrypter
    - DVD Shrink 3.2
    - SoundForge 6
    - Goldwave 5
    - IsoBuster
    - DVDFab Decrypter
    - Microsoft Office 2000 (Outlook most important)
    - Nikon View 6
    - TMPGEnc DVD Author 1.5
    - Abbyy Finereader
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DVD Decrypter
    DVD Shrink 3.2

Both work good here.
    PB
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I did a quick try of virtualdub 1.49 with an avi. It loaded but I was missing a codec to actually play or edit the video. I don't have much installed on that system.

I'll have to find more fonts, the characters look a bit weak.

edit:
    I tried again with some real old video... remember the spacewalk one and the old jetland.avi using the cinepak codec. They both worked. Anything with divx said it needed vfw codecs. I don't yet know how you feed codecs to wine but it didn't appear buggy with what I tried. Guess that's another thing on the "to learn" list

btw) Good list. Can't wait to see what others have to say.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Your Photoshop and Office should be fine. As I understand, Photoshop is good until CS, and Office through 2003. Putting Photoshop aside for the moment (I don't want to start that discussion again), but starting with Office and a few other apps, isn't the point of trying linux to see what linux applications do the job?

Seriously, if the only thing you are going to do is run Windows apps, you are much better off using Windows. There are alternatives for most things on your list. You should see how those compare to the applications you commonly use. Check http://www.osalt.com for a list of replacements for common Windows apps.

WINE has/had a place in linux, but with the ability of most recent machines to handle virtualization, or the good old dual boot, I think there are better alternatives. If you don't have a Windows license, then WINE or CrossOver becomes the alternative since you don't need the Windows license.

Not to stop you from checking your specific list, just thought you might want to try the linux version of those functions first...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tekkieman
    Check http://www.osalt/com for a list of replacements for common Windows apps.
    That link does not work on my computer. This is the error message.
    Sorry, 'www.osalt' does not exist or is not available!
    Thanks Mike
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

Sorry, I fixed the link.

Unfortunately, it still isn't working, but the link is now correct. I even verified that it shows the link as visited in Google, so I don't know what is wrong with the server at the moment.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gll99
    I did a quick try of virtualdub 1.49 with an avi. It loaded but I was missing a codec to actually play or edit the video. I don't have much installed on that system.

I'll have to find more fonts, the characters look a bit weak.

edit:
    I tried again with some real old video... remember the spacewalk one and the old jetland.avi using the cinepak codec. They both worked. Anything with divx said it needed vfw codecs. I don't yet know how you feed codecs to wine but it didn't appear buggy with what I tried. Guess that's another thing on the "to learn" list

btw) Good list. Can't wait to see what others have to say.
    Just install the windows codec. If you want MPEG4 video, download the Xvid codec and install it with wine.

Virtual dub works fine if you have the codecs. Wine only comes with a type of PCM audio codec, so you'll need those.

DVD Shrink works fine. *
    MainConcept Encoder works.
    AVI Synth works, along with DGDecode and the handfull of other filters I use.
    DVD Decrypter works *
    TMPGEnc DVD Author works *
    CCE works.
    HCEnc works.
    DGPulldow works.
    DVTool works.
    FitCD works.
    VStrip GUI works.

* I have not tried burning a disc through Wine.

Adding to what tekkieman said -
    Open Office does a decent job, if you don't want all of the wizards and templates for word processing. If need extremely advanced spreedsheets with tons of macros and programing, it just doesn't cut the mustard. But only 95% of the people out there even use 10% of the power in Microsoft office.

Same goes with PhotoShop. The Gimp is not PhotoShop! I love my Linux, but comparing TheGimp to PhotoShop is like comparing a Dodge Gremlin to a Cadillac Eldorado.

I stopped using VirtualDub some time ago in favor of AVIDemux. To me, it is just as good if not even better.

AVISynth 3.0 will be for Linux. Based off the GStreamer network. Progress is slow, but it is moving along.

IMO the DVD Backup Scene in Linux is equal to Windows ~1999. The MPEG encoders of libavcodec and FFMPEG leave much to be desired. The quality and rate control just is not there. There is no DVD Decryter, but there are a couple of DVDShrink like apps (xDVDShrink DVD95).

Open Office meets all of my needs, which is much more than Microsoft Works, but a bit less than Microsoft Office. I have never liked nor had a reason to use the clunky and unfriendly Outlook, GMAIL with Thunderbird works just fine for me. If you NEED Outlook, take a look at Evolution.
    Quote Quote  
  8. But does wine works well all the time?

I installed FC6 and i am having a very hard time to run any application using WINE. It simply hangs, and I have to use Force Quit function
    আমি বাংলায় গান গাই
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by src2206
    But does wine works well all the time?

I installed FC6 and i am having a very hard time to run any application using WINE. It simply hangs, and I have to use Force Quit function
    Which version of Wine?
    How did you set wine up. Through a 3rd party tool, or the built in winecfg?
    Which Programs are crashing?

I'm using 0930, setup with winecfg. In the past I have used a 3rd party tool (wine tools?) which downloaded all kinds of crap, and attempted to set this and that up. Never worked that well for me. I just ran the winecfg, selected it run in a windowed environment (1024x768) against my native 1600x1200 desktop, selected Windows 2000 as the OS, checked to map a couple of my drives, and left it alone.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tekkieman
    :oops:

Sorry, I fixed the link.

Unfortunately, it still isn't working, but the link is now correct. I even verified that it shows the link as visited in Google, so I don't know what is wrong with the server at the moment.
    Works now.
    Thanks Mike
    Quote Quote  
  11. Hi disturbed1

I am sorry i am rather a newbie in the field of Linux, so could you please tell me how can/ should I reinstall wine?
    আমি বাংলায় গান গাই
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In your home directory there will be a hidden folder .wine delete the whole directory.

Open the terminal and type
    Code:
    wine --version
    this will tell you the version of wine you are using.

In the terminal type
    Code:
    winecfg
    This will launch the wine configuration utility.

One thing you'll want to make sure of, is to install MSCore fonts. Check with your distribution's repositories to download and install.

If you need help setting up Wine, check out www.winehq.com or just type
    Code:
    man wine
    also in the terminal.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I'm using SUSE 10.2 and Codeweavers Cross Over version of Wine. I have DVD Decrypter installled and working. However when I run it it does not detect my DVD drive. Yet in the Wine (Cross Over) config I do have the mount point of my DVD defined as drive D. And I can browse to it in DVD Decprypter as OUTPUT.

Any idea...???
    Quote Quote  
  14. Changing my Windows version from 2000 to NT allowed DVD Decrypter to recognize my DVD-Rom drive. I don't have a burner on my Linux PC. I hope to rip to an external USB FAT32 drive or to my network Windows server. Then burn using one of my Windows computers. They are all networked. I'm using Samba on my Suse 10.2.

So setting Windows version in Wine (Cross Over) from 2000 to NT resolved my problem...

Just tested it and I'm getting rip speeds of 1.8 to 4.0 on an older LG DVD-Rom drive.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    Was wondering if Windows progs that run standalone (no installer) are more likely to work in wine. I'm dual booting MEPIS with XP right now, and I'd like to work on the Linux side more if possible to learn it more thoroughly. I've got several little apps like VirtualDub, 3GP converter etc that run from their folders. Before I pull what's left of my hair out trying them all and installing wine, I'd just like to know if standalone programs are likely to be "wine-friendly". Other than the real obvious ones there ain't a whole lot of Video specific wine documentation out there, other than this thread.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,
    I’m planning to get an Intel iMac and wondering about using Crossover (part of Wine) to run some Window programs, particularly Magic ISO and or Power ISO.
    Does anyone know if Magic ISO works at all in Wine?
    How about FFSJ? (http://www.jaist.ac.jp/~hoangle/filesj/index.html). It’s a joiner program that let you joine .--a files.
    Quote Quote