VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. There are three flavors of FAT: FAT12, FAT16, and FAT32. Try using Swissknife to format. It makes drives work where other format programs don't.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Does 1080p work over Component video?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am pretty sure it is impossible to output 1080p over component. It has to be HDMI/DVI/VGA for now.
    Free shopping list tool via text messages. http://www.list2text.com
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The Helios 4000 outputs 1080p over component, the real trick is finding a display with component 1080p in!
    Quote Quote  
  5. AFAIK this player is model number 5980 in the uk (if you are having trouble googling it, as I did)
    subsidiary question.. Is there a CHEAP (ish) RAID external drive that will work with this player (available in the UK?) ... my research indicates its better to just get two equal drives, one on computer, one in enclosure connected to player), for safety/backup purposes.
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  6. RAID for mirroring? Yeah, I'd just use two drives and sync via software on request. I have a car hard drive MP3 player. I mirror my music folder to the player now and then with a simple XCOPY command like:

xcopy /e /d /y /c e:\music f:\music

That copies any new or updated files to the car player. What it doesn't do is delete files on the car player that have been deleted (or renamed) on the computer's drive. But I rarely do that anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Does any one know if this external harddrive will work with the 5982? (it has its own power supply)

Western Digital My Book Essential WDG1U2500N 250GB 7200 RPM USB 2.0 External Hard Drive

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by dman651
    Does any one know if this external harddrive will work with the 5982? (it has its own power supply)

Western Digital My Book Essential WDG1U2500N 250GB 7200 RPM USB 2.0 External Hard Drive

Thanks
    Probably. https://forum.videohelp.com/topic301465-450.html#1710727
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I recently returned a model 5982 back to Best Buy.

It wouldn't work on my A/V receiver in my entertainment system.

It would work if I hooked it directly to the tv.

But I preferred this (and a couple other items) plugged into my Onkyo A/V receiver.
    No matter how I connected it, video & audio would not come through the receiver.

Anybody else experience this??
    Whatever doesn't kill me, merely ticks me off. (Never again a Sony consumer.)
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    Does the upscaling 1080p of the DVD Player DVP5982/37 is better than the upscaling 720p? And 720p better than the resolution of a pure 480p dvd? Have you compare the pure resolution 480p dvd with the upscaling of 720p/1080p of the philips upscaling dvd player?
    My need is to upscale my dvd movies for my hdmi projector.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just picked up the DVP5982 and the Pioneer DV-400V-K to test the USB. The Pioneer is on sale + they give you a 20 dollar gift card.
    PBHT- Poor Boys Home Theatre was my goal using a 250GB hard drive.
    The AR for 720P and 1080i/p = 1.777
    My ZVW - Zen Vision W pvp = 1.765
    The videos work for both my ZVW and PBHT
    I used StaxRip(the ultimate encoder), XviD Codec, Resolution 720x408 = AR of 1.765, with AutoCrop.
    The best .avi I could achieve with the DVP5960(old) was 1400 to 1500 kbps.
    The DVP5982 and Pioneer both maxed at 3000 kbps .avi XviD.
    I liked the picture and USB Funtionality of the DVP5982 much better. Pioneer jumps, where Philips was very smooth when fast forward through USB.
    My HDTV is 1080i but 720P looks much better(DVD Player setting Vivid). I'll take progressive(p) over interlaced(i) any day, and since they both have the same AR, the screen is full.
    The 5982 has a new option Wide Screen Format>Super Wide. When I chose this option, my screen went totally red when I started a video. Once I changed it back to off, problem solved. I mention this b/c someone had commented on the red screen earlier. The Super Wide is unnecessary so just leave it off. Also, I switched the player from USB to DVD, and while the power was on to the player and the External Hard drive, I removed the USB cable; it sort of popped and then went back to 480p. Everything was fine and I changed it back to 720P, but from now on, both the player and HD will be off when I remove the cable.
    Xvid at 3000kbps is outstanding, Full AR resolution from great software, I could not be happier with this player.
    The Pioneer is going back.
    RipIt4Me - DVDdecrypter - DVDShrink - StaxRip - AutoGK - iRiverter - AVI ReComp
    MuvAudio - ImgBurn - Paperless Printer - Nero6 Ultra
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Trac wrote:

Hi Trac, Thank you for posting your comparison. That was a lot of work and hassle. A question if I may:

Was this the maximum of 3000 kilobits per second acheived while playing a .avi XviD/DivX file on a CD-R/DVD-R disc in the tray or via USB from a hard drive or other storage device?

I love my older DVP5960 but it jitters and breaks up into blocks when playing a scene from a .avi DivX or XviD file whenever there is snowfall, a complex explosion, wild computer animation, etc. via USB playback. This probably has to do with a limited bit rate via USB but I am not certain of this. It would be great if the DVP5982 did not do this stuttering and blocky breakup like the DVP5960. It would even be great to me if the DVP5982 did not stutter as often during such scenes. That's a lot of processing for less that $100USD so I suppose I can't expect too much.

My workaround has been to burn the offending file to DVD-R which I can live with. I hope the DVP5982 can save me a few discs here and there.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by synchro505
    Originally Posted by trac
    Was this the maximum of 3000 kilobits per second acheived while playing a .avi XviD/DivX file on a CD-R/DVD-R disc in the tray or via USB from a hard drive or other storage device?
    I only have the 5960. Here's what I've found:

I took a 90 second movie trailer with a mix of still and action shots (smoke, explosions, etc). I encoded at 640x480 with Divx's Home Theater profile (1 consequtive B-frame, no QPEL, no GMC) at 1000, 2000, 3000, and 4000 kbps CBR with 384 kbps AC3 audio. I also encoded with the Unconstrained profile (2 consequtive B-frames, no QPEL, no GMC) at 5000, 6000, 7000, and 8000 kbps CBR with 384 kpbs audio. GSpot showed all eight files to be encoded at close to the specified bitrates (the 8000 kbps file was only ~7750, the others were all within 100 of the specifed rate). File sizes were as expected.

From a 1GB flash drive only the 3000 kbps and below files played properly. 4000 stuttered in places (I might have watched it if I was really desperate), 5000 and above stuttered severely and were unwatchable.

From a well used 4x DVD+RW all eight files played without any problems.

Maybe someone can repeat this with the 5982.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tested an avi file with audio encoded:
    0x0055 MPEG-1 Layer 3 CBR 44100Hz 128 kb/s tot , Joint Stereo

and it played fine on the 5982. I tried the same video file on my 5960 and the audio sounded distorted. So that is at least one thing it can do that the 5960 cannot.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by Nikephoros
    I tested an avi file with audio encoded:
    0x0055 MPEG-1 Layer 3 CBR 44100Hz 128 kb/s tot , Joint Stereo

and it played fine on the 5982. I tried the same video file on my 5960 and the audio sounded distorted. So that is at least one thing it can do that the 5960 cannot.
    I haven't noticed especially bad sound on my 5960. Are you using the digital or analog audio outputs?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by synchro505
    Trac wrote:

via USB

The Templates are available for download.
    I also added a new StaxRip install guide since some people were having problems with that.
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic332730.html
    RipIt4Me - DVDdecrypter - DVDShrink - StaxRip - AutoGK - iRiverter - AVI ReComp
    MuvAudio - ImgBurn - Paperless Printer - Nero6 Ultra
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    USB works will for me with 250gb external HD. I can only see one level of folders. Has anyone else noticed this? It makes it difficult to view mp3s in several folder levels. For example, music>artist>album>filename.mp3 where only music>artist is viewable. Also, has anyone tried the 5960 hack for long filenames on the 5982.
    Quote Quote  
  18. I like this player.

Just got it from cost-co. I'm using "ultra flydrive 1GB". It works fine. DVDr's burned with divx and xvid's are also fine.

Have not had a chance to try usb hard disks yet tho. I will report after trying them out.

Regards.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi All,
    OK does this thing have to be so complicated:
    1) Why do I have to format my USB external HD to FAT32? I did, it was a pain in the butt, but it works.
    2) Why won't it play 30% of the divix files I own - or illegally copied ?
    3) Why is this thing so F*** slow?
    4) Where is a shuffle for the mp3 feature?

I know I'm kind of ranting here but curious why this thing doesn't operate to basic minimums?
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by lukeglinski
    1) Why do I have to format my USB external HD to FAT32?
    Probably because Philips doesn't want to pay a license fee for NTFS. Or Microsoft won't license it.

Originally Posted by lukeglinski
    2) Why won't it play 30% of the divix files I own - or illegally copied ;) ?
    Many reasons but most come down to price. There are limitations in the chips the player uses (no support for Xvid's three warp point GMC, for example). Software can evolve much faster than hardware. AVI files are infinitely variable. They can contain audio and video compressed with any codec. It's impossible for a player to account for all of them. Do you expect Philips to come out with a firmware update (and pay license fees) everytime some new audio codec comes out? Any bozo in the world can create files with no concern about set-top playability.

Originally Posted by lukeglinski
    3) Why is this thing so F*** slow?
    Probably cost considerations again. Your computer probably cost $1000 and has a CPU that costs more than the entire Philips player.

If you know of set-top player that does better at similar cost please let us know.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have the exact same problem as painkiller

I connected the coaxial digital out to my receiver, which has 2 optical ins and 1 coaxial in. it simply will not work. the player wont let me turn "on" the digital out. while it puts out a nice picture, i like being able to get DD 5.1 or DTS instead of my TV speakers.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    1)guys can this player play .divx files contain .xsub?
    2)is N-Vop ( packed bitstream) played well without stuttering?
    3) does it support idx/sub subtitles?
    4)is there any chance to make it play GMC Xvid files?
    5) can it play mp3 VBR well?

I'm planning to only use DVD's and no HD materials at all, I don't have a hd tv so no need to the HDMI outpot

only I want it for Xvid and Divx playback, so do you recommend this player?or should I get the old one 5960?

sorry for all these questions, I'm noob with this and I've lost money on bad players so I don't want this to happen again.

thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  23. They weren't bad players it is more like that there are too many ways to encode a divx or xvid that only a software player that can updated can keep up. All the players use a hardware decoder chip and by the time it is designed and manufactured and the player is designed to use it new version of divx and xvid will be out that allow more ways to encode. Having said that mine plays most anything I put on dvd. Will not handle ogm or mkv.

Never tried one that I know to have GMC.
    Never tried mp3 VBR

It only has HDMI, Component or Composite outputs. No S-Video. It really is designed to work best with HDTVs. Composite outpt is the lowest quality.

Given that you seem to want it to work with every type of file with no recoding. I suggest that you buy or build a HTPC that can be hooked up to your TV. No player will be able to cope with all the tricks used squeeze every last bit of size reduction. If you plan to encode your own files then that is something else.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    big thanks for your replay, so as I see here, the problem is with the encoding ways and the new features, but not with the player itself
    well, if so, that's really really a big problem..that means even if I bought the best player in the market, and after a couple of years I put my videos on my dvd, invited my friends to enjoy with me, then, BANG! it can't play it!!

that's a real pain

ok I'm thinking, is there anyway that install a Software player on the standalone player to handle some new features? like the media player for ps2 that makes my ps2 to play divx/xvid (and even GMC files)(but I don't use it because it doesn't support subtitles)

I know it's kinda a stupid question, but forgive me I'm n00b with the whole thing.

thanks again guys, cheers
    Quote Quote  
  25. Since the decoding is done in hardware not software the answer is that the decoding abilities are limited to what the decoder chip supports.

No way to install a software player. The reason you can use a media player in a ps2 is that it an a xbox too are specialized computers. Whereas the DVD/Divx players have no real computing power or memory or memory.

What you want will require a computer. My tivo which has AFAIK a 25Mhz processor and 16mb of memory is more powerfull than a dvd player.
    Quote Quote  
  26. software on player IS actually called firmware and company's do update it for the first year or so. Its actually a fairly trivial task to write your own firmware, as long as you have a budget of a few million, access to full hardware schema, a dedicated set of testers and a programming team of 10 or twenty who are familiar with your hardware/software combo. These players aren't designed to last a lifetime (of a mouse).. there will always be new and better things eg avc and/or hd which both require significantly more grunt to process than existing codecs
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Yes the firmware can be upgraded, with one caveat. It cannot add features not supported in the hardware decoder chip.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Good info ... going to try the StaxRip .... program
    Quote Quote  
  29. I have a question ... I have the Philips DVP5982/37 player and i have the latest Firmware 37.07.32.40 and my Corsair Flash Voyager 1 Gig USB 2.0 is not supported and i cant figure out why .. its using FAT 32 file system .... Is there something i need to do or do i need to buy a newer one to work and if so wat do i need to look for to make sure it works with the player .... thanx
    Quote Quote