VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Baldrick,

I tried out the "Left" layout and noticed this at the top and bottom of the thread:

There is some corner of a foreign field that is forever England: Telstra Stadium, Sydney, 22/11/2003.

Carpe diem.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I then tried out the "Fit to 100% width" to see if it would fix it, and got this:

I tried a soft refresh and hard refresh (Ctrl+F5) with no luck. Changing back, I did spot this before returning to non-100%:

There is some corner of a foreign field that is forever England: Telstra Stadium, Sydney, 22/11/2003.

Carpe diem.

Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Just don't use Left and 100 percent...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick
    Just don't use Left and 100 percent...
    Turned "Left" back to "Classic" and displays OK now.

All using FF v2.0.0.6.

Carpe diem.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well no log-in problems this morning for me so I guess you did fix whatever issue that was. Kudos.

Also I miss having the forum option across the top. I did eventually find "Forum" under "Other" on the left toolbar but again I don't think this is very prominent.

Like Richard_G that is usually the first thing I check so that I can do the "View Your Posts" option and see if any threads I've commented in have had new activity since I posted etc.

I would imagine that is standard for how most (returning) people use the website.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU,
    Not just OS colours! OS Icons! You rock Baldrick!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Looks kunky at the top and the botton. The top doesn't expand out to match the witdth of the post

see screenshot

tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It expands a bit nicer now but it's not perfect. And it should be a horizantal scrollbar in Opera now.
    Quote Quote  
  9. How about Blue with Left side justification?
    Not hip on the centering.

And how about blue background when you select blue?
    Not too hip on the strange brown color

Last but not least, what's with the empty space at the end of each page? It's about a half a page of background

Just saw this too, The footer section isn't expanding too.

Thanks for fixing the header
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I will fix a left for blue also and a blueish background color.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the "left" option with the classic colour. It feels right at home.

Was the background colour changed from the old classic because it still seems brighter to me? Is it the large amount of gray or too much white? It's just harder to look at than I remember and other sites look the same so it can't be my monitor settings.

edit:

@Baldrick
    Whether you apply anything that's suggested or not, I and I'm sure many others, appreciate the fact that you allow member input on site related matters like this. Kudos to you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    [s:f1486db5ee]I'm using "left"[/s:f1486db5ee] if that matters
    What are these smudges on the front page

edit

I just tried Blue and default and it's the same. It may have even been there before the change but I really wasn't paying so much attention then.
    Quote Quote  
  13. The fit to 100% option is working fine for me atleast in both IE7 & FF. All the panes are aligned properly.

IE7

FF
    When I was born I was so shocked that I could'nt speak for 18 months.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gll99
    [s:fec088bf63]I'm using "left"[/s:fec088bf63] if that matters
    What are these smudges on the front page

edit

I just tried Blue and default and it's the same. It may have even been there before the change but I really wasn't paying so much attention then.
    Colored background means that they are new since your last visit.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @Baldrick

Is that what that is?
    I must have missed that, since only part of the text is coloured it looked like something bleeding through.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  16. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It should look like someone used a highlighter pen...
    Quote Quote  
  17. Thanks for the left justification and getting rid of the extra space at the end of each page.

Can ya lighten up the background just a little? At the top it's just about back and looks funky next to the blue header bar

IMHO of course
    Quote Quote  
  18. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Brightend it a bit.
    Quote Quote  
  19. IMO of course

BTW, after hitting submit it brings up the site with the default scheme right before it take you to your post. Then it shows the scheme (in my case left/blue) as I picked

Quote Quote  
  20. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    When I change the 'Site layout' to 'Left', it doesn't do anything. The screen blinks and it still says 'Center'. When I change it to 'Blue', that works (it does indeed change to Blue). I'm not using IE or Firefox, I'm just looking at it through the AOL browser.

When I change it to 'Left', is that supposed to make the thread items go all the way over to the left, i.e. make the column that's usually on the left (logo, 'How to', 'Lists', etc.) go somewhere else? It doesn't. The way it is now, the thread items run off the page on the right. I have to move the scroll bar to see them in their entirety.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    With ie6, just tried left blue and it's better on the eyes than the gray in the classic style. When there are images the main box expands on the right and overshoots the space reserved for the rounded edges so it still looks a little off. It looks like 2 forms are overlayed one over the other but the one with the rounding is up a bit higher and narrower than the one overlayed on it.

btw) I still think there is something different that feels off with the classic red with gray.
    Quote Quote  
  22. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gll99
    I still think there is something different that feels off with the classic red with gray.
    Yep, I'm not that satisfied with it either so I'm going to test make it a bit darker.

stiltman: I noticed that it changes schemes when you post but I don't know why.

JudgeGarth: Try change to 100% Forum width under your Profile.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Baldrick, instead of spending time tweaking the little cosmetic features, how about fixing the serious problem with the forum CSS under "left" mode in Firefox? (It doesn't happen with Internet Explorer; all forum messages and lists display properly, at least with IE7. And the CSS for the main page works just fine in both IE and FF.) Even though I have the IEView extension installed, I really don't think I should have to do that (or be forced to use IE itself) in order to use the forum, especially since I didn't have to do that before.
    Don't sweat the petty things, just pet the sweaty things.
    Quote Quote  
  24. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Left mode works fine in my Firefox. How does it look for you? Post a screenshot.
    Quote Quote  
  25. The left option is working fine in my FF 2.0.0.6 also.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Seems that after all that, either Firefox or the site itself has decided to make a liar out of me, because left mode is now working in the forums. Don't know what happened or who did it, but I'm now a mostly happy camper. I'll be completely happy once I manage to remove my foot from my mouth.
    Quote Quote  
  27. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe firefox used some old css style (cached). I change css every hour...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That could be it. In any case, all is well again. (I particularly like the blue theme, BTW. Definitely a keeper!)
    Quote Quote  
  29. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick

I changed forum width to 100% in my profile and hit 'Submit'. It did change the profile entry but once again when I change the layout to 'Left' and hit 'Change', it still says 'Center' afterwards and the screen still looks the same.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Baldrick wrote
    Any chance of getting something greater than 760 pixels and less than 100%. Maybe in the high 900 or 1024 pixels might look good with a 1280 wide monitor. Using the left options and 760 pixels leaves a wide empty right margin. I tried 100% and it works well but it doesn't feel like home that way.

Maybe I'm dreaming but weren't there other options before?

btw) Like MJPollard said that blue design is 8) don't play with shades too much, although I will probably go back to classic if it ever looks like before
    Quote Quote