VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Thread
  1. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    No, you aren't pushy. I just hate div layers now... . I think I will keep one table.

Please continue report any bugs you see.
    Quote Quote  
  2. sanyak: Side panel fixed, at least in ie6. Does it look okey in ie7?

guns1inger: You can try switch back to beta again. I'm now trying with one table and it shouldn't be clipped now.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    sedtedgmail = ME baldrick. .
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yes the side pane is appearing properly now in IE7. Even the top portion of the page is aligned to the top of IE7 window.

When I was born I was so shocked that I could'nt speak for 18 months.
    Quote Quote  
  5. superb!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The "more latest active topics here" link needs to take you to a whole new page instead of just adding a few more topics to the list I have already read. Can you make it go to the next full list of topics?
    I'd rather be fishing at Roaring River, Mo.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Well, the sponsors are right in our face in this new layout. Right on top ! I guess they have their "right" to be middle. I personally think the empty space on left & right of the page could also be ustilized. May be the page layout can be expanded a bit.

The sponsor's link are opening in the same window or tab. I think they should open the a new window or tab. Right-clicking on it also does not give the option of "open in new window". I think it should be implemented like this.
    When I was born I was so shocked that I could'nt speak for 18 months.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sanjayk
    Well, the sponsors are right in our face in this new layout.
    I will remove the banner for logged in users later(or move it to the bottom). It's just for testing for now.

I will also add so you can use a 100% width instead of the fixed witdh. You can change it under your Profile.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Are you really looking for a new logo too?

Btw, any chance of adding a login link on the front page?
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by handyguy
    Are you really looking for a new logo too?
    No, maybe later.

Btw, any chance of adding a login link on the front page?
    You can login directly from the front page, both www.videohelp.com and forum.videohelp.com . Or do you want something else?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Oh, I guess I missed seeing that login link. Thanks for reminding me that it is there.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    wow almost 2 years ago i started a thread about this site needing a facelift!.... https://forum.videohelp.com/topic282259.html

glad to see it happening! i agree it should only be a visual change, but i think there is SOOO much visually that can be improved. i mean, seriously, look at this mess...

can we get some color?! perhaps some little arrow icons?! this list of crap can be grouped.. "you can:" and "you can't:" even color the words can & can't in red & green... SOMETHING?! there is just WAY too much text, you must read to navigate. i'm not knocking the site! but these things should make sense to anyone who took a brief glance at them, y'know? just needs some color, style, some cutesy pics & icons to help people navigate.. for example...

anyway, my new layout is BETA!! thanks!
    I am just a worthless liar,
    I am just an imbecil
    Quote Quote  
  13. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I will upgrade to latest phpbb forum version 3 when it's released and it will hopefully look a bit better than this phpbb forum v2.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Or I might consider switching to another forum software like vbulletin.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The width functions seem to be working better. The sponsor links and bottom link box are still fixed, but the bulk of the forum now goes to slightly wider than 100% (about 2 pixels wider, by the look of it)
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  16. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    100% looks good in IE. But I will try add a 2pixel margin.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Looks good in FF2 now, including sponsor banner and bottom menu box. Speedy work.

There is a two pixel border o the left-hand side, and the right-hand side buts up hard against the scroll-bar.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Holy cr@p Batman....

This came up as default today so is this the new look?

Please say no to this centering. I read left to right (as most here do ) and these wide gray margins are throwing my balance way off. Seems like a lot of wasted space and this is on a 5:4 /4:3 lcd monitor.

The front page font seems larger than normal which I don't mind but maybe it's force of habit for some reason the screen looks less professional centered this way. Why not make all the areas wider to fill more screen.

way to go back to the left hugging style?

btw) I use the clasic style colours
    Quote Quote  
  19. I find it a tad bit bright for me.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    Cool look! Me Likey! Very clean and the rounded corners really bring it up to date without totally abandoning the familiarity of how it was. As far as opinion, I really would like to see unified themes and colours for the different OS's. Linux posts are Yellow, Linux Guides are green, while MacOS posts are green? Also it would be nice if the "new tools" were colour-coded and bold like they used to be. As stated that is just my opinion, obviously a lot of hours of thought and work have gone into such a major revamp, and you can never please everybody! Kudos!
    Quote Quote  
  21. I like it! I can read it all without glasses and without squinting, (even with my detached retina). Kudos!
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Works ok with firefox

I wouldn't mind a little more colour. Of course it is not bad the way already is
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Looking good Baldrick...keep up the excellent work!
    The more you know, the more there is to know...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Whatever else you do, I would like the option to choose my body text font.

I like a serif font for reading, and Georgia in particular is an excellent screen font. I use it in every application that I have the option to.

And one glitch I see now: in threads, like the first page of this topic, where images have stretched post widths past the normal size, it runs off the right side of the screen -- but I have no horizontal scroll bar, it's impossible for me to read them (unless I reduce the zoom ratio of the page to a tiny size).

Have you deliberately turned off the horizontal scroll bar?

I use Opera 9.

I just checked in Firefox; that DOES have the horizontal scroll bar.
    So....?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For what it's worth, just my 2 cents:

The problem I have with the centering the way it is now is that the whole box is centered including the left links under the videohelp box, userid, avatar and comments. All this is treated as one big box and then centered but that pushes the comment text further to the right than normal.

I would shift things left so that the middle of the comments is closer to the centre of the screen. This would leave a narrower blank area on the left and a wider margin on the right but at least the text would be more closely centered. Since I concentrate on the text when reading posts, right now everything seems pushed to the right. I sit slightly left with my mouse to the right so for me, it is more awkward and unnatural with the text further right.

Here's a test: Find a long thread where the links are at the top but don't show as you scroll down and it's even more obvious that the design favours a right shift. Notice how wide the left margin now appears and that's only part of the reason for the user posts being shifted right. Even if it was adjusted by the width of the link box it would be an improvement.

Also since the switch, I find my eyes strain more from the lack of contrast and I've had to take more frequent breaks from the site.

btw) It looks better when previewing comments before posting because the avatar and userid boxes aren't there so the text is still to the right but more centered

I am also well aware that all this may be because I was so used to the old left shifted design so unless others have problems too, it may just be a case of clinging to the old.

EDIT:

Just noticed that the "Videohelp.com Forum" reddish box at the top of page is not as wide as the comment / image box underneath it. It looks like a resize is missing. You also lose the rounded corners at the top and bottom right when the comment box widens past a certain point.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I am having log-in problems.

Even though I have the "auto logon" thing checkmarked on the main page when I log in ... I still have to log in the next time I visit the website. So in other words once I close my browser and then come back I have to log in all over again.

I'm using FireFox 2.0.0.6 with Windows XP Pro and this log-in problem is new ... it's only been happening the last couple of days now give or take.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I am using the same config (FF 2.0.0.6 with XP Pro) with no login problems, as well as FF 2.0.0.6 under Vista and all is well. Curious.

Also, only the forum is going the full width of the page - was it always this way ?
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A couple of comments. It looks good, even though I keep thinging it looks wrong because it's different to what I'm used to. One thing I have noticed is that the link to the Forum has disappeared from the front page (or moved and I haven't found it yet). If I am in a hurry, I tend to go to straight to the Forum and do an egosearch to check on any threads I've been posting in. Now I have to select a random thread and click Forum index from there.

The other one may be a problem at my end (IE6 under XP Pro SP2) as it was the same on the old design. If I post in a topic it then gives me the option of viewing my post or returning to the forum. However, despite having the choice, it doesn't work for me. I get an hourglass for about 5 seconds and it then goes to my post anyway. I usually start on the front page and look down the latest posts. Once I have posted in a thread I then want to go back to the front page. Instead, I get this pause, see my post and then (particularly if there are lots of posts already) have to scroll up to the top to click the Videohelp logo to return to the front page.

As I say, it may well be how this machine is set up, but it's marginally annoying.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK, so I've now seen the Forum link on the left side. Not as obvious as the one at the top but it is still there.

Now trying this post on my other machine to see if it still takes me to my post whether I like it or not.

(Edited to add, yes it does.......)
    Quote Quote  
  30. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    THanks for all comments!

gll99: I like centering but I understand your points. I have made a Left-layout that you can choose in the menu. I might consider making left as default later also.

fulcilives: I have similiar problems. But I think I solved it by deleting all beta.videohelp.com cookies...check if you have any such cookies. edit: I think I found the bug now.

AlanHK: It should be a horizontal bar....but apparently not in crappy Opera . I'm investigating it now.
    Quote Quote