VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. The installation disc only (no manual or box) of the full version (not movie studio version) of Vegas 6 is available at B&H Photo in New York for only $99.00 plus tax & shipping. Note this does NOT include any version of DVD Architect, and may not be eligible for low priced upgrades to later verions of Vegas. Still a great price!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=Search&A=details&Q=&sku=434966&is=RE...ughType=search
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Such a deal !
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So long as you don't need AC-3 rendering (you have it elsewhere), this is a steal of a deal.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Bump.

Still $99. Mine just arrived -- progam CD only in an envelope.

The $50 version of DVD Architect Studio 4.0 available direct from Sony at http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/products/product.asp?PID=433&PageID=42 can do the AC-3 rendering after you render regular mpg2 (video + audio) from Vegas. It probably can't handle the subtitles that Vegas 6.0 can create, though.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    yes it can in fact
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
  6. DVD Architect Studio 4.0 can handle subtitles?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    yes - but..... in vegas format
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
  8. So I now have Vegas 6.0 Full version and DVD Architect STUDIO version 4.0. I can't see where or how to add subtitles in either program. Nothing is listed in help in either program for "subtitle". How is it done, even in "Vegas format"?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cdb
    Bump.

Still $99. Mine just arrived -- progam CD only in an envelope.

The $50 version of DVD Architect Studio 4.0 available direct from Sony at http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/products/product.asp?PID=433&PageID=42 can do the AC-3 rendering after you render regular mpg2 (video + audio) from Vegas. It probably can't handle the subtitles that Vegas 6.0 can create, though.
    Once you have fully installed DVD-A (with the AC-3 engine), Vegas is (generally) now active for that encoding also. They work together....what a new concept huh!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  10. So, I've figured out how to "export regions as subtitles,", and have a .sub file. But DVDAS refuses to open it. I can see it in the DVDAS explorer, and there's a note that says "DVD Architect Subtitle Script, but I can't see how to get it into the project and associate it with the video file.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Double-click a title in the Project Overview window (or double-click a button on a menu in the workspace) to open it.

From the View menu, choose Timeline to display the Timeline window.

From the Insert menu, choose Subtitle Track. A new subtitle track is added to the timeline.

Click the Import Subtitles button in the Timeline window. The Import Subtitles dialog is displayed to allow you to browse to a .sub or .txt file.

When you click Open, the contents of the selected subtitle file are added to the track.

Each line in the file creates a subtitle event, and the events are spaced equally through the duration of the video.

For example, the following text file would create three subtitle events:

No, 'tis not so deep as a well, nor so wide as a

church-door; but 'tis enough,'twill serve: ask for

me to-morrow, and you shall find me a grave man.

You can then adjust the timing of the events to correspond with the spoken words in the audio track.

Code:
    If you've used Vegas software to create the video for your DVD Architect project, you can use regions in the Vegas project to create subtitles. The length of the region determines the subtitle event length, and the region text is used as subtitle text.

Save the regions in your Vegas project to a text file.

a. Open your project in Vegas software.

b. Create regions in the project where the name of the region is the subtitle text you want to display.

c. Verify that no regions are overlapping.

d. From the Tools menu, choose Scripting, and then choose Run Script from the submenu. The Run Script dialog is displayed.

e. Run the Export Regions As Subtitles.js script to save your regions list as a text file. 

Switch to the DVD Architect window. 

Double-click a title in the Project Overview window (or double-click a button on a menu in the workspace) to open it.

From the View menu, choose Timeline to display the Timeline window.

From the Insert menu, choose Subtitle Track. A new subtitle track is added to the timeline.

Click the Import Subtitles button  in the Timeline window. The Import Subtitles dialog is displayed. 

In the Import Subtitles dialog, browse to the file you saved in step 1.

When you click Open, the contents of the selected subtitle file are added to the track.
    Quote Quote  
  12. But in DVD Architect STUDIO , there is no insert menu. I don't hve the full version of DVD Architect (see my previous posts). Am I SOL or looking at another purchase or in need of another DVD Authoring app?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the (older) dvda 2.0 version can do subtitles .... i THOUGHT the studio version can also

you can do your project and add the subs in via vobblanker or upgrade to the full version or use another app
    Quote Quote  
  14. Thanks BJ_M, I'll see if I can pick up a cheap copy of an older version of the full DVD Architect.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is it worth it to get this rather than 7? I've been planning on buying Vegas for a while, and this seems like a great opportunity. Will I be missing out on much (I'm not planning on doing HD any time soon)? Will I lose plugin support or will internet guides be aimed mostly at 7?
    Quote Quote  
  16. I don't know where you can find a feature comparison between Vegas 6 and 7, but it sounds like that's what you need to make your decision. The Sony site now only lists Vegas 7+DVD. There are plenty of training materials available now for Vegas 6 (books, CDs, DVDs, online training). What do you mean by "internet guides"?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cdb
    I don't know where you can find a feature comparison between Vegas 6 and 7, but it sounds like that's what you need to make your decision. The Sony site now only lists Vegas 7+DVD. There are plenty of training materials available now for Vegas 6 (books, CDs, DVDs, online training). What do you mean by "internet guides"?
    Unless you are doing advanced HDTV work, need SDI external interface to high end Sony gear or import AC3, there isn't that much there in V7 for the "little" guy. I decided to skip version 7 until I see some need for it.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I mean just like tutorials and stuff about achieving different things, such as the Wrigley guides for Premiere.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ShBm
    I mean just like tutorials and stuff about achieving different things, such as the Wrigley guides for Premiere.
    Guides are here, including those supplied from Sony.
    http://www.blue7media.com/vegas/

Kudos to Sony for keeping the Madison Wisconsin Sonic Factory team intact after the buyout but most new features in Vegas versions 6 and 7 have been targeted at accommodating upmarket SDI and XDCAM Sony equipment rather than enhancing features for the Vegas base of DV and HDV prosumers.

Sony wants this product to be a serious alternative to Premiere Pro, Avid and Final Cut Pro for the post houses and they have done that, but in the process they have lost focus on the core Sonic Foundry Vegas DV/HDV users that I like to call the "one man band" segment.

We want features to help the little guy and although we would love to have a coupon for discount on a $28K XDCAM ... I'll stop.

Bottom line: this is a hell of a deal for version 6. We paid far more even for a V5 to V6 upgrade.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's now now a year later and the price is $79.00

- zzz
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Update: I've heard this version lacks the AC3 encoder if that is important to you.

Also FWIW, Sony now has XDCAM-EX flash/hard drive recording cams starting at $8,000 ($6500 street).
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/520761-REG/Sony_PMWEX1UC_PMW_EX1_XDCAM_EX_SxS.html
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Great Deal!
    http://www.absolutevisionvideo.com

BLUE SKY, BLACK DEATH!!
    Quote Quote  
  23. The difference between 7 and 6 was minimal and not worth the effort (much less upgrade!), The 8 added few things like Multi-camera editing, but it sucks IMHO. It will slice the tracks, instead of creating virtual cuts like EditStudio and it is nightmare to fix bad cut. Maybe we should wait for 9. After Vegas 6 I got quite disapointed by the lack of significiant updates, it was always mostly few fixes and some candy. My last bought version is Vegas 6 (but I paid far more than $79) for it. Maybe they are running out of ideas?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    that would be vegas pro 8
    since pro 6 doesn't handle m2t, $99 is about all it's worth...to me
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sony has upgrade policy - you can get very good price ugrading the older version to the most recent one. Best period though is when the new version is just announced - usually the upgrade price for full version (including DVDA) is only 150USD! Still cheaper to buy ver.6 and upgrade than buy from scratch.
    Quote Quote