VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I have a backup of a movie that is "ts" files (recorderd from HDTV). My plan is to create a DVD from it but I never dealt with "ts" files.

What tools do I need to convert it to m2v or mpeg2? If there are no free tolls, I am ready to invest into tools if required as I have HDTV TV box, which can result in regular conversion. Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vertical
    Hi,

I have a backup of a movie that is "ts" files (recorderd from HDTV). My plan is to create a DVD from it but I never dealt with "ts" files.

What tools do I need to convert it to m2v or mpeg2? If there are no free tolls, I am ready to invest into tools if required as I have HDTV TV box, which can result in regular conversion. Thank you!
    HDTV2DVD-Free,simple, fast and does a good job
    bits
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

HDTV2DVD does not work for me. Once I load a ts file into it and click process, I get error messages all the way.

Type: System.NullReferenceException

Source: HDTV2DVD

Message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

InnerException:

StackTrace: at x14ee85f5d732c07f.xd3764d4f1e921081.AuthorDVD(xc76 139390a97debb xd2637df501625a82, x81974c36d7fdf1e1 xb4ee5c1758e9e983, Int32 xdc4f66b5011a3c9d, String[] x738d70b20493db82, Boolean x6b20cb17e8070d92, Boolean x3c21da9f928aac10)
    at x14ee85f5d732c07f.xd3764d4f1e921081.x2e6504f39decc 498()
    at x14ee85f5d732c07f.xd3764d4f1e921081.xf81783e1b359f fc3()

Is there any other more reliable way to convert "ts" to DVD or to avi. Since it is HD, the avi should be of a high quality and can be easily converted to DVD.

Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  5. I would have thought that you'd have known about DGIndex by now. The output will be M2V and whatever the audio is. Read the docs about PIDs:
    DGIndex can open transport streams. Transport streams can contain multiple programs, each of which contains audio and video streams. The Stream menu allows the user to list the programs and to select the desired program to be decoded. The stream menu is disabled if the input stream is not a transport stream. Transport streams periodically send data tables called the PAT/PMT tables that specify the programs and tags (PIDs) for the associated audio and video streams. By setting the PIDs for the desired audio and video streams, you thereby select the desired program.
    http://www.neuron2.net/dgmpgdec/DGIndexManual.html#DetectPIDsPAT
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    HDTV2DVD requires the .Net framework to be installed. The error messages you are getting would suggest that you have not installed it.

You might also check your capture software. Mine has an option to grab either the whole transport stream, or just the mpg content (video and audio) of the channel in question. Saves a lot of time.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Guys, thank you!

manono, I do know DGIndex and used pretty often but I had no idea that it can be used to convert ts files. Shame on me! I will give it a try. Thanks.

guns1inger, I have .Net framework both 1 and 2 intalled. May be something wrong with the files? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    manono,

I tried DGIndex but once I go to "Sreams" and click "Detect PIDs: PAT/PMT", I get error message: "Not a transport stream". What can be done? Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  9. I get error message: "Not a transport stream". What can be done? Thank you!

I don't know. I don't cap and have never worked with a TS in my life. Delete it? Sounds like it's corrupt to me.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That isn't a MPEG2 transport stream file, then. Post a GSPOT screen capture.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Actually I have four of them (one movie). I can't believe all are corrupted.

Yah, it's getting a headache....
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Soopafresh,

I try that one. I will post GSPot. Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I opened one of the four ts files in GSPot and probably there is no need in picture. All I can read there is:

F:\Temp\Romeo&Julet\Romeo.And.Juliet-2.ts
    4.29 GB (or 4,399 MB or 4,505,599 KB or 4,613,734,320 bytes)
    File Type: Unknown
    Mime Type: Unknown

That's it! Nothing more in any section.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    See that cutfile thing I posted above?

Cut a section and post to a free file hosting site

Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sure, just give me a sec.

What does this "post to a free file hosting site" mean? Cannot I post it here?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can only post 2MB. That might not be enough.

Try posting it to http://www.bestsharing.com
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've made it 30 MB as if done as a whole it is 304 MB while they allow only 125 MB.

Here is the link: http://www.bestsharing.com/files/t4dITP233314/Romeo.And.Juliet-2_CUT.ts.html
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OK, downloading it now.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The audio is there, the video is %&*# up. Gimme a few minutes to see if it can be fixed, but don't get your hopes up
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ah, it's h264. Lemme try a few new tools
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hopefully it will work!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, still have to play with it for a few minutes, but here is a sample. Can't tell if the A/V sync is good, but it all looks possible.

clip2.avi
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks! I can watch it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OK, I'm still trying to figure out the exact syntax for Mpeg2, but meanwhile, try encoding to Xvid with the following:

http://www.bestsharing.com/files/KTvpt233335/mencode.zip.html

1) Unzip files and place mencoder.zip files into their own folder

2) Give it a single .TS to test with. Rename your input file to ROMEO.TS . It'll look like this:

iconv.dll
    intl.dll
    mencoder.exe
    xvid_encode.bat
    Romeo.ts

Double click on xvid_encode.bat to run. It'll do 10-15fps. See if the lipsync is good on the output AVI (Xvid). When done, you'll see Xvid.avi in the folder -

iconv.dll
    intl.dll
    mencoder.exe
    xvid_encode.bat
    Romeo.ts
    2.txt
    XviD.avi

Mpeg2 is a pain to encode with Mencoder, but Mencoder is one of the few apps that can handle h264 TS files as input. I'll try it with Avisynth next, but you might have to wait a day or so in order for me to figure it out with DirectShowSource. There's a new Avisynth plugin to support h264 directly, but it didn't work when I last tested it.

Edit - Okay, I have a preliminary Mpeg2 chain ready to try out, but what are the Mpeg2 dimensions that you're interested in ? 720x480? 1280x720?
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Soopafresh,

Thank you for your time. I need it 720 X 480.

I will try what you advised and will post the result.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Mpeg2 encoding -

You'll need to have Avisynth installed, plus you must have an h264 codec, like ffdshow or CoreAVC (a free one is included in Quicktime Alternative, but the $9 one is much faster).
    Also, Install Haali Media Splitter.

You can verify that your h264 codec is working by double clicking on romeo.mp4 (once it is created by the batch file)

I included your source file for testing. Double click on _encode2mpeg2.bat to test it all out.

You should end up with an M2V file and your original AC3 for muxing into a DVD. Even though the source is 25fps, it has been "pulldowned" to 29.97 since the output is 720x480

* Note - when you end up trying this on a full sized TS file, make sure you have 12GB minimum of free drive space

http://www.mediafire.com/?3zdamzjyzmx

In the next few months, there will be an "AVCsource" plugin for Avisynth and h264, making the process of encoding to Mpeg2 much faster. Until then, this is it...

EDIT: Had to make a minor modification to the main batch file. You still need to download the file at the Mediafire link above, but replace the _encode2mpeg2.bat with this one:

_encode2mpeg2.zip

What I'm not certain about: As the source is 25fps, I have the mpeg encoding using a GOP of 15, but since it is being encoded to 720x480 NTSC and pulldowned 25-29.97, should the GOP be set to 15 or 12 ?

Anyway, try it.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you, guys. I will try it to-night.
    Quote Quote