Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Soopafresh, thank you very much!

My e-mail notification porbably failed and I did not know it is all ready. I will try it tomorrow and will post the results.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Soopafresh, thank you!

It works like a charm. I tried Normal batch. The quality is very good. Fast also workd fine.

I also tried HQ batch but it gives error message while conversion starts: Invalid arguments to function "Addgrain" and it cannot open source file.

You mentioned that it can be set for 1280x720. Do I understand right that It will be not a DVD? What DVD player would be able to play a file with such a resolution?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    HD-DVD or BluRay, depending on how it is authored. Otherwise a Divx Ultra player might be able to play it if encoded with the latest Divx. Media Centre type PCs can probably play it as well.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    guns1inger, thank you!

Is it possible to convert DVDs to files with such resolution or does not make sense as their initial resoltion is much lower?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There is one incredibly slow piece of software that upsizes video to HD resolution, and does a fair job. That said, it takes a lot of time (11 - 12 hours for a 90 minute video on my system, and that was only going to SD, not HD), and the quality isn't as good as a decent upscaling player or TV.

In my opinion, not worth the time.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can I try it?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Soopafresh, I tried to convert a 4,29 GB file with NORM batch but at the end I've got a 4,93 MB file.

It looks I did everything OK. Cannot just understand why it is so small. Something went wrong?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Knock yourself out - it is called Video Enhancer

http://www.thedeemon.com/VideoEnhancer/
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you! I will. I know I like it -)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Whoops...did you write 4MB? Did you run out of disk space during the encode? Hmmm...It was probably the last command - DGpulldown that messed up during execution. I'll fix it by not processing the file in place.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That Addgrain parameter in the HQ script should be fine now. Try the updated scripts below.

updated_scripts.zip
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

Thank you.

"did you write 4MB?" - Positive. "Did you run out of disk space during the encode?" - No, lots of space.

I will do the changes and will post the result.

Soopafresh, could you please make another version for resolution 1280x720? Would be greatly appreciated.

A really good movie - I'd like to be able to have in the highest possible quality. I do not have HD DVD player but that's a matter of time.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is it possible to do something with the error?

"I also tried HQ batch but it gives error message while conversion starts: Invalid arguments to function "Addgrain" and it cannot open source file"

Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, I uploaded a new group of scripts a few posts above, plus I added a few example 1280x720 res ones. That addgrain line should work now, if it doesn't lemme know, I've got another way to add the effect if it doesn't work on your system.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do I understand right that I should delete the previous "enc2mpeg2_NEW" and download the new one?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Actually, that's what I'm going to do. I won't include the Input.ts file since you've already download that. Give me a few minutes.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you, Soopafresh!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Voila

http://www.bestsharing.com/files/EhLsL239733/enc2mpeg2_NEW_R2.zip.html

Don't even try the _1280x720_encode_HQ.bat file unless you have a calendar to time it with.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you! I will try and post the result.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The first time you run it, the DGAvcIndex app (you know, that GUI that pops up) will be looking for the Output.h264 file in the old area where it was previously, NOT in the new folder - so, click around and show the app exactly where the output.h264 is now located. You'll only need to do this once.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It looks like I understood you: I should show the new path to output.h264

Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, let me know if anything is unclear. Sometimes it is hard to translate into words what the brain thinks.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Soopafresh,

I tried all 6 modes (1280x720 and 720x480) and all work fine. Thank you. I believe I do not have to change the scripts in enc2mpeg2_NEW_R2 as everything works perfectly well.

A question about the modes: Fast; Norm; HQ. I do understand that it is pretty much subjective. Some people prefer smoother, other a sharper picture.

But objectively based on the processing what mode - Norm or HQ should give a better pic quality? I am confused by the fact that HQ produces smaller size.

Is there any way for me to adjust such parameters as sharpness and denoising level? I would not like to waste your time and if there is any reading about, I would appreciate if you refer me to it.

An the last but not the least question: how can I control the size of the output file? I would prefer to put movies with the length of 2 hours or longer on DVD9 and shorter movies on DVD5. Is it possible to control somehow?

Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The HQ mode ends up being smaller because the motion compensated degraining routine smoothes the the entire picture without oversoftening. The encoder doesn't have to allocate as much bitrate to the image, so the final M2V file is somewhat smaller - around 20%. This might change on a different source. I' ll bet something like Bladerunner will be just the same size-wise, as the scenes are dark and full of motion.

As far as being able to predict the final file size on a 1 pass encode... maybe someone can chime in on this, as I believe that's what 2 pass was designed to do (at least partially). The problem becomes the time needed to run a 2 pass encode on 1920x1080 resolution files. That's why I set it up as 1 pass. As I rarely encode to Mpeg2 anymore, many others on this forum are much more qualified to comment than me.

As far as tweaking sharpening/smoothing/etc - the documentation for all of the Avisynth plugins are in the \Sources folder. FFt3dfilter and MVtools have many good examples of usage. There are some fantastic Functions written for detail enhancement and sharpening - LimitedSharpenFaster and SeeSaw come to mind. They're both tremendous when used correctly, but remember, the sharper your image is, the more bitrate it needs.

H264 sources are difficult to enhance visually, so it'll take some experimentation to get it working to your liking. Once you have this automated process down, you'll start to understand the required steps and you'll soon be able to tweak the settings to whatever works best for you.

I've been thinking about modifying these scripts to come up with a version for Mpeg2 HD, so if anyone is interested, let me know and I'll make an effort in that regard.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Soopafresh, thank you.

If I understood you right, HQ is the best of all with regard to the pic quality even if the file size is smaller by 20%, right?

You mentioned about 2 passes. Time is not a problem for me. If I understand right, 2 passes will give a better quality anyway. If this is true, could you please set up the whole thing for 2 passess?

"...you'll soon be able to tweak the settings to whatever works best for you..." - Hopefully I'll figure out what settings should be adjusted. I believe most of them are in the batch files.

Sorry for my ignorance but I believed that 1280x720 is Mpeg2 HD. So, what is the difference between Mpeg2 HD and 1280x720 we have now?

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, I'll set up a 2 pass encode for you. It'll be just a few additional batch files you'll be able to copy into your encode folder - something like _encode_Fast_2Pass.bat.

How many parts are your transport streams in ? Is it one big file or severals parts that you encode one at a time?

Well, standard Mpeg2 TS 720p is 1280x720 progressive (non interlaced) but at 59.94fps, or 50fps in PAL land. Your source file doesn't have that frame rate to begin with (25fps), although the quality is just fine. That's how h264 streams are broadcast. Nothing to worry about, if you get a DVD player that can play various file types, it will happily accept your 1280x720x25fps Mpeg2 files. Example (Just the specs)
    http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/specs.jsp?model_id=MDL101546&feature_id=03
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you.

Romeo consists of 4 parts and each is around 4GB....

Actually I've got a Phillips that reads almost everything.

That machine looks great. I would pay the price for the machine that reads so much and if the picture quality is good but I am not sure I can find it in Canada.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello Soopafresh,

Sorry to bug you again about _encode_HQ_2Pass.bat Since the picture quality is the highest priority, I've been waiting for the files.

If for any reason you cannot make them please advise for me not to wait for them

Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No, haven't forgotten Procrastination.... Check in a few hours.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Soopafresh, thank you! I appreciate your time.
    Quote Quote