VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When I click on an initial topic, the web page appears. However, I now click on a link within the topic and the computer freezes. Clicking on the page close button(upper right corner) and the page appears again. Cannot use download to upgrade software without going to the site directly. Any Ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    computer freezes? not just the browser? and what browser are you using?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    IE 6 SP1 is the Browser
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I found the problem. It was an accelerator program that installed that screwed things up. All is well now.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Besides your problem above those accelerator programs are useless IMO, the source code of page on a website is only going to account for about 20K-30k which amounts to about 1 -2 seconds of download time on a 56k modem.

The only ones that will truly accelerate download speeds are the ones offered by ISP's or others that compress files such as images before they get sent to the browser. Here's a blow-up example from AOL's service, top one is the original and the bottom one went through AOL's meat grinder:

For direct downloads of video files, swf and others like gif animations they can't recompress so provide no benefit.
    Quote Quote