VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi folks,

I've tried to convert a couple of NTSC Film avis to VIDEO_TS with the 'DVD ffmpeg' preset recently. The resulting mpg plays fine in VLC, but when converted to VIDEO_TS it stutters in video playback...

Usually, I do this with the mpeg2enc preset with good results, but was wondering what could be going wrong with the ffmpeg preset.

Also, in the mpeg2enc preset, should it be set to 'set 3:2' if the original is NTSC Film (ie. 23.9fps)?

Cheers,
    B
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Same here. I followed the "How to" section on making dvds with subtitles on the ffmpegx site and no luck. The output is a dvd folder that stutters on the apple dvd player.

Help?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes enable the 3:2 pulldown and apples dvd player wont stutter.

I hope somebody will update that site to clear that up.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm having the same problem. Plus I tried it in my Panasonic DVD player and it plays fine except that there's no time code, which also seems to be messing up the search functions (maybe that's an unrelated issue).

Where is the 3:2 pulldown option (using the ffmpeg encoder)?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by bis22
    Bump. I've got the same question.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Also, is the rule of thumb here: "when the original is NTSC film, enable 3:2 pulldown"?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by konstantinos
    Also, is the rule of thumb here: "when the original is NTSC film, enable 3:2 pulldown"?
    When the framerate for target format VCD/SVCD/DVD is NTSC Film (23.976 fps), then one should enable a 3:2 pulldown.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bis22
    Unfortunately, there is none (yet).
    - You can encode with mpeg2enc and enable Set 3:2.
    - You can encode with ffmpeg, then use the Pull tool on the .m2v file (video-only), then mux+author as DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  9. The ever-helpful Case to the rescue!

Originally Posted by Case
    Originally Posted by konstantinos
    Also, is the rule of thumb here: "when the original is NTSC film, enable 3:2 pulldown"?
    When the framerate for target format VCD/SVCD/DVD is NTSC Film (23.976 fps), then one should enable a 3:2 pulldown.
    So, can I just change the framerate of the target format to avoid this fuss, or this will lead to all sorts of other problems?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You could change the framerate to avoid the fuss, but that would seriously degrade the video quality needlessly and blow up the file size because of the 25% extra frames that hold no additional information.
    Quote Quote  
  11. A-ha, I see. Thanks again!
    Quote Quote