VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guys:

I live in Canada and have a Rogers hi definition PVR cable box. I love the quality of the picture but I now realize that size does matter. The PVR will only hold 10 hours of hi definition programming so I obviously need a bigger hard drive (so to speak).

As one solution to my problem. I thought perhaps I could get a dvd recorder with built in hard drive but apparently, the vast majority (if not all) of these hard drives will only record the picture in standard resolution. I realize that so far we don't have any hi def dvd recorders but I was shocked to find that the built in hard drives on these dvd recorders also would not record in hi definition.

Does anyone know of any DVD recorders which will record the high definition signal to the hard drive.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Your best bet would be a TV capture card where you can set the resolution
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your response Anakin but I'm wondering if you misunderstood my request. I am not talking about anything to do with a computer setup. I was asking about a home dvd recorder with built in hard drive that is capable of recording a hi def cable signal.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    there are none now, best you can do is capture via PC...all that is avail now.
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    How has your equivalent of the USA FCC ruled on recording over the air HD broadcasts? Here the cable companies must allow recording in DVHS format for OTA if the box has IEEE-1394 ports.

If you don't have such a ruling up north, forget it.

Anything that isn't over the air, Rogers can restrict per their contract with the program source.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The closest thing to what you want would be a D-VHS VCR which uses videotape to record digital TV including 720p and 1080i broadcasts ... but only those broadcasts that have no copy protection. Although this system uses analog videotape the recordings are pure digital. Think of the DAT audio format or the DV camcorder format as examples.

Mitsubishi makes a D-VHS VCR that can be found for $200 or so on-line. The model number is HS-HD1100U. This model has some "issues" though. For instance it will only accept HDTV via FIREWIRE. So you need a HDTV cable box or HDTV satellite box or HDTV ATSC tuner box that have FIREWIRE outputs. Thankfully that is common. However the Mitsubishi only supports playback of HDTV via FIREWIRE which means you need a HDTV with a FIREWIRE input. That is rather rare. Hence the low price I guess.

JVC makes two D-VHS models. The HM-DH5U model is similar to the Mits in that it only accepts HDTV via FIREWIRE but you can get a HDTV signal out-of-it and to your HDTV using component or HDMI which pretty much means it supports all HDTVs out there.

JVC also makes the HM-DT100U model. This is a much more expensive model that features a built-in ATSC tuner but the cost is SO much more than in my opinion you are better off buying the HM-DH5U model and a separate ATSC tuner box (just make sure the box has FIREWIRE output). That combo would be cheaper than buying the all-in-one HM-DT100U model. Plus as I noted most cable TV and satellite TV boxes that do HDTV have firewire output.

To the best of my knowledge a D-VHS VCR is the only consumer grade recording equipment that can record HDTV without the need of a computer.

The JVC HM-DH5U model has a MSRP of $799.95 but can often be bought brand new for as low as $439.00 if bought on-line.

The JVC HM-DT100U has a MSRP of $1499.95 but I found one on-line website selling it for $949.95

Please note that all models listed are USA models and all prices are US Dollars.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What about the 30000 and 40000 units?

Those units can also do about 20+ hours of "S-VHS quality" video on a single D-VHS tape. There are options for using S-VHS tapes too, from what I understand, though at degraded quality.

Cheapest I've seen a 30000 or 40000 is $400. Tapes are about $15 each, hard to find.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Depending on which Rogers HD PVR you have, you may be able to connect a external Serial ATA drive to it to increase your storage. Apparently this works on the 8300HD. The following link is an extensive thread on Digital Home Canada that describes how to do this. I haven't done it myself yet, as I haven't been able to get the external case and decent sized hard drive past my wife yet

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=23773
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wow. Thank you for all the suggestions. I will start to do some followup to see which possibilities might best serve my needs. In the meantime, I really appreciate the time you took to respond to my question.
    Quote Quote