I am attempting to help a friend convert files he recorded using the .dvr-ms format in his Windows MCE XP and I am running into a frame-rate issue I don't quite understand. I am new to using this container, so I will easily admit to not knowing much about it's guts (It's basically an .asf file, right?), even though I have read the wiki on it and associated postings. I have done research and not quite found the answers I need.

I guess the one question that would answer all issues is: Is the native frame-rate for Microsoft Home Theatre .dvr-ms recordings 23.976 fps? I am asking this because while the .mpg output from DVRMSTOMPEGGUI shows as having a 29.976 fps output in G-Spot, it appears to be a telecined 29.967. I say that because as soon as that .mpg is plugged into a program like AutoGK or StaxRip, when the file is initially parsed the program automatically does an IVTC on it and brings it to a 23.976 fps.

Am I doing something wrong in the initial conversion using DVRMSTOMPEGGUI? Is there a setting i am missing so that the file stays in a true 29.976? Or is that impossible b/c the file is natively recorded at 23.976? Or is this the result of a setting my friend is using in the initital recording that needs to be changed?

All help appreciated.