VideoHelp Forum

Poll: Are you still waiting for a favorite tv show to come out on dvd?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Are you still waitiing for a favorite tv show to come out on dvd? Which one? If not what set do you have now that you waited forever to finally get?

The one I absolutely had to get was the Sledgehammer tv show that was finally released a few years ago (both seasons!) That was terrific.

Other than that one I don't really have any others that I have to have on dvd. Oh sure there are a few I'd like but none that I am desperate for.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    All those Doctor Who episodes from the 60s that the BBC threw out....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  4. China Beach
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Martial Law!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    None of the above. I don't like watching TV shows. Well, one then, that I own: Absolutely Fabulous.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Lavern and Shirley.. Season 1 came out a long time ago then nothing else since.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I quit buying TV shows on DVD. Most transfers are horrible and pixelated. The studios are not digitally remastering them and cleaning them up, before putting on DVD. They are just running them through the machines as fast as they can.

Hopefully they will change their ways with HD-DVD and Blu-Ray. I'm tired of seeing the horrible transfers with dust/dirt/scratches on them. If us amateurs have the tools like Avisynth, Convolution3D and despot, to clean our stuff up, you think the studios could do the same.

I'm waiting on a decent transfer of Star Trek Next Generation TV series. The first three seasons I have are pixelated and look horrible for the most part.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As fascinated as I am by old TV shows available on DVD I must say that I've bought very few at all. I think the price is one factor ... most are just priced way to high for my budget.

One set I do plan to buy is the TWIN PEAKS set. I never bought the first set and a second set is finally comming out but for those that didn't buy the first set yet ... wait. News is that a few months after the second set comes out they will release a TOTAL BOX SET that will include Season 1 and 2 in a single box. That's what I am excited about.

I almost bought the STAR TREK (original) box sets but I'm glad I waited since they are being remastered in HDTV now for TV showings but I also heard for HD-DVD release as well. Maybe then I'll get them (assuming HD-DVD "wins" the format war).

- John "FulciLives" Coleman

P.S.
    Of the TV shows I have bought on DVD my favorite is the box set of THE NIGHT GALLERY although it is not a complete box set and no more have been released ... yet.
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  10. I am waiting on Bosom Buddies (Peter Scolari and Tom Hanks). It is supposed to be out in March. I would also like to see M.A.S.K. out on dvd. I would also like for all the Alvin and the Chipmunks cartoods to be on dvd. My son would love them. While the studios are at it, why not release the old cartoon "Mighty Heroes" on dvd?
    Believing yourself to be secure only takes one cracker to dispel your belief.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I am a collector of vintage British television and one series that a lot of people of my ilk want to see is a complete and unedited set of both series of Shoestring (1979-1980).

There was a box set of series one advertised two years ago that never saw the light of day; being set in a Radio station the copyright clearances for all the music played on the soundtrack must be a virtually impossible to acheive!

A release will probably never happen.

Originally Posted by AlanHK
    All those Doctor Who episodes from the 60s that the BBC threw out....
    And a copy of Nigel Kneale's The Road too please!

===

Waited for and now out: the beautifully restored 1950's TV Quatermass box set (containing the long over-due release of Quatermass II; Quatermass and the Pit having been released on VHS in the 90s). Restoration Team
    Cole
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dv8ted2
    see M.A.S.K. out on dvd
    lordsmurf told me that it is supposed to be in a australia release later this year or next year so there is hope That was a cool show
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Still waiting for '77 Sunset Strip' and 'Route 66'. Want more seasons of 'McCloud'. It would be nice if 'The Virginian' was released on DVD, but I have all of them anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I'm still waiting for WKRP, presumably stalled by copyright issues with the music clips. Only one season each of Barney Miller and Night Court so far - where are the rest? Then there are those early b&w episodes of The Saint. Only the first twenty-eight have appeared in NTSC-land. Max Headrooom needs to reappear.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Get Smart
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by GKar
    Get Smart
    I thought I saw an infomercial for the get smart series on dvd?????

EDIT - yep the five season box set is available:

http://www.amazon.com/Get-Smart-Complete-Seasons-1-5/dp/B000LK3NDU/sr=8-1/qid=11706372...?ie=UTF8&s=dvd
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For me it would be actually two different series - The Man From U.N.C.L.E. (which may or may not come out depending upon who owns the rights) and Scarecrow and Mrs. King. As for "Cartoons" I would like to see the first two seasons of Reboot.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Max Headroom
    Automan
    Man from Atlantis
    Johnny Socco and his Flying Robot
    Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Constant Gardener
    I'm still waiting for WKRP, presumably stalled by copyright issues with the music clips. Only one season each of Barney Miller and Night Court so far - where are the rest? Then there are those early b&w episodes of The Saint. Only the first twenty-eight have appeared in NTSC-land. Max Headrooom needs to reappear.
    I hear WKRP is finally being release in April. However, they are replacing the original soundtracks with other music. The creators of WKRP say that they have seen it and think that FOX did a good job in replacing the original music with music that doesn't take away from the storyline.

Still, it would be much better for it to retain the music that was heard in the original series.

Ty
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by yoda313
    The one I absolutely had to get was the Sledgehammer tv show that was finally released a few years ago (both seasons!) That was terrific.
    Yeah, sledgehammer was great, i got both seasons too. I wrote an appreciative note to alan spencer n he replied a thanks to me...

trust me, I know what i'm doin... 8)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Daria, one of the few shows on MTV that rose above its target audience... which is probably why MTV wants to forget it ever existed.
    Don't sweat the petty things, just pet the sweaty things.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You know I was thinking about this some more and it occurred to me that a little seen horror anthology TV show called DARKROOM would be something I would definitely buy if it were released.

It only aired for a single season on ABC TV back in 1981/1982 but I vividly remember several of the episodes ... stuff that still "haunts" me to this very day.

Of course I was all of 9 or 10 years old so I guess you could say I was easily scared then LOL but seriously I remember this show being rather wicked and would love to revisit.

Other than that I still can't believe that TWIN PEAKS is only now coming out in total on NTSC R1 DVD ... the show was very popular and is now a good 16 or 17 years old! I can't believe it has taken so long!

Oh and one more comes to mind ... another horror anthology TV show ... but one that was very popular (unlike DARKROOM which I am sure very few remember). The show I am talking about is TALES FROM THE DARKSIDE which was around and very popular long before HBO unleashed TALES FROM THE CRYPT (and of the few TV shows I have on DVD I must admit that TALES FROM THE CRYPT is one of them although I have yet to buy ALL of the seasons ... yet).

"The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    Quote Quote  
  23. Captain N..... yeah it's gonna be released shortly, and i already have it pre-ordered. other than that is........ stuff that is being released or is already released.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm with EdDV and AlanHK.

Max Headroom for sure.
    Doctor Who (be nice if most of those missing episodes could reappear...)

WKRP also.
    Whatever doesn't kill me, merely ticks me off. (Never again a Sony consumer.)
    Quote Quote  
  25. I hear WKRP is finally being release in April. However, they are replacing the original soundtracks with other music. The creators of WKRP say that they have seen it and think that FOX did a good job in replacing the original music with music that doesn't take away from the storyline.

Still, it would be much better for it to retain the music that was heard in the original series.

Ty
    I too am anxiously awaiting the release of WKRP in April. I have heard that some of the original music will be retained. There are some scenes that just would not be the same with a replacement. Les Nessman putting on his toupe to "Hot Blooded", Ivan and Bailey with "Tiny Dancer", Johnny playing "Dogs" from Pink Floyd's "Animals". This list goes on and on.

Let's hope that they don't totally destroy the fun of the original show. I have personal recordings of some of the 1st and 2nd season with the original music, but the quality is not the best.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Still waiting for "The PJs". Also, season-3 of "Batman Beyond". And "Max Headroom" would be cool. That was a great show. "Police Squad" needs to come out on DVD as well.

"Get Smart" is not on DVD? That's too bad! That's another great show. What is the reasoning behind that?

Darryl
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The British series TENKO about women in a Japanese concentration camp.

Available in the UK. Pirate copies on ebay. I don't trust the pirate to have properly converted PAL to NTSC, by his own admission his disks look awful. And the price is not cheap.

Might have to order from the UK and convert myself.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For me, it would be 2 NBC series from the 70's:

The Starlost - Canadian Sci-FI series from early 70's. Think Slient Running meets Battlestar Galactica.

Star Trek (The Animated Series) - Left off right after the original series. Saw this one being advertised last year(2006) (for S.T. (T.O.S.)'s Anniversary) but I never saw it released anyhere/anytime. What happened?

While on the subject, FOX's Space: Above and Beyond would also be a great addition. (Wing Commander-ish space opera)

And not to forget Doctor Who fans; William Hartnell & Jon Pertwee era seasons (full seasons please!). Although this would be highly unlikey unless Stephan Russo was involved in this.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Guru Sonic
    FStar Trek (The Animated Series) - Left off right after the original series. Saw this one being advertised last year(2006) (for S.T. (T.O.S.)'s Anniversary) but I never saw it released anyhere/anytime. What happened?
    I think this just came out very recently ... in fact I saw it at BEST BUY the last time I was there which was about a week or two ago.

In fact here is a link for it at AMAZON.COM ---> CLICK HERE

Quote Quote