VideoHelp Forum

Poll: Are you still waiting for a favorite tv show to come out on dvd?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Guru Sonic
    Star Trek (The Animated Series) - Left off right after the original series. Saw this one being advertised last year(2006) (for S.T. (T.O.S.)'s Anniversary) but I never saw it released anyhere/anytime. What happened?
    It's available, and has been since November of last year.

And not to forget Doctor Who fans; William Hartnell & Jon Pertwee era seasons (full seasons please!). Although this would be highly unlikey unless Stephan Russo was involved in this.
    Full seasons will be virtually impossible, since many of those two Doctors' episodes simply no longer exist anywhere in the BBC archives. Occasionally, they do unearth a "lost" episode or two that's been sitting, forgotten and untouched, in the back corner of some TV station's film library, but I'd be amazed beyond belief if they ever manage to find enough to reassemble the entire series' run from beginning to end.[/url]
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dphirschler
    "Police Squad" needs to come out on DVD as well.
    Police Squad is out on DVD, and has been since November 2006.

"Get Smart" is not on DVD? That's too bad! That's another great show. What is the reasoning behind that?
    Get Smart is available from TimeLife.com

Y'all really need to start checking Google and Amazon before assuming a show isn't available.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Lots and lots of old series that aren't on the schedule (though I have my tape copies and some have appeared on TV stations and specialty cable stations over the years):

All the Hanna Barbera animated action series (The Herculoids, Space Ghost, Shazzan (I recorded all of this though), etc. Thankfully Jonny Quest was released and I got almost the entire run of The Banana Splits 1st season recently), Werewolf, Captain Power and The Soldiers of the Future, The Powers of Mathew Star, The Invaders, Batman (I recorded them all from cable TV recently), The Green Hornet (recorded them all already), Max Headroom, The Misfits of Science, The Magician, etc. Too many to list. The only thing is that I seldom get time to watch them anymore. I see Hawaii 50 is coming out. That was a great series. I recorded at least 4 seasons worth and have started to go back and watch them though it will be nice to get pristine uncut copies after so long. Nostalgia can be fun....
    Quote Quote  
  4. Get a good dvd player, region free,pal to ntsc conversion, and get those only released in uk via amazon, very efficient, also

http://www.sanity.com.au/DEFAULT.ASP?SHOWHMVPOPUP=Y

have some stuff not sold in any other country.

I have dozens of dvd's bought that way, use a philips dvd 727 or 642 player hacked to region free, or get an oppo which most rave about.

Why oh why do conversions.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Two Words: "Cop Rock"
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The Wonder Years is being held up by music licensing issues. It's worth noting that 2 now out of print "best of" type DVDs were issued for the series and they did not feature the original music. I wouldn't hold my breath on this getting resolved. Music licensing has also preventing WKRP and Malcolm In The Middle from being released on DVD, although season 1 of Malcolm did come out. I'm guessing that season 1 of Malcolm didn't have enough music licensing problems to prevent its issue.

For those who don't know, popular music on TV shows (for example, say, Abba songs) must be licensed and fees paid for broadcast. These fees only cover the TV broadcast and do not cover releases on (in the past) VHS tapes or (now) DVDs. A new licensing arrangement must be worked out. Unfortunately, most music companies are too greedy to work out reasonable rates for DVD releases, so that leaves the series producers where they have to replace all the popular music with generic music if they want a DVD release. Some production companies do this (for example, this has been doen a lot with Quantum Leap), some don't.

At this point, it appears that WKRP will never come out on DVD. There are still rumors that The Wonder Years will come out, with new music. Malcolm seasons 2-7 could still come out with the licensed music replace without too much problem I think, but the production company has to be willing to do the work to replace the music and so far they have not.

The really stupid thing is that for the most part no complete songs are ever used, they are just excerpts of 60 seconds or less, so it's very dishonest for music companies to act like they are giving away the music when it appears on DVD. There is a loophole in US copyright law that allows excerpts to be used as part of "fair use" and it could conceivably apply to releasing these shows on DVD (assuming complete songs aren't used), but nobody is willing to test it in court, probably because most of the TV production companies also have their hands in the music industry as well. Honestly, these kinds of things don't really make a lot of sense as with no DVD release, the music company isn't making anything from the old shows and you would think that they might drop their prices so the DVDs could come out and they could get something, but that's not how they think.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The 1966 Batman series.

Also in cartoons, from Cartoon Network - Toon Heads, The Popeye SHow, The Chuck Jones Show, Tex Avery Show. These are hardly ever on anymore, only TCM comes close with Cartoon Alley.

I though I'd heard that Get Smart was coming out soon (tvshowsonDVD.com?).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313
    Originally Posted by GKar
    Get Smart
    I thought I saw an infomercial for the get smart series on dvd?????
    EDIT - yep the five season box set is available:

http://www.amazon.com/Get-Smart-Complete-Seasons-1-5/dp/B000LK3NDU/sr=8-1/qid=11706372...?ie=UTF8&s=dvd
    Cheaper from http://www.wouldyoubelieve.com/dvd.html
    Quote Quote  
  9. Popeye is coming this year. WB is releasing ALL the shorts from both Fleischer and King Features. Looks for two sets this year and more to follow.

Toonheads. Would love to see that! The closest thing we have to that currently is Cartoon Alley on TCM. I still have some Toonheads episodes on VHS. Been thinking about converting those recently.

Darryl
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Rocko's Modern Life
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm glad there are others as "nerdy" as I waiting for:

Max Headroom
    Batman (60's primetime)

Max Headroom tanked in its first season. Each episode was at the bottom of the weekly Neilson ratings. Nothing ever topped Batman for its campiness and arty feel. I can't imagine how the actors/actresses ever got though a whole scene without cracking up. I was waiting for Mission Impossible, but it was released just a few weeks ago.
    Usually long gone and forgotten
    Quote Quote  
  12. the NEWZ
    a small show based in FL I think,it was much more funny than SNL ever was but didn't seem to get much publicity probably because how politically incorrect they were
    the chances that it will ever be released on DVD are very slim
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by GKar
    Get Smart
    You can get it through TimeLife now:
    http://www.timelife.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=9613&

Ordered mine in December, got in in January. Awesome set. If you get the whole series (all five seasons) it comes with a cool case to hold all of them. Now we just need "The Nude Bomb" and "Get Smart, Again" on DVD

Originally Posted by Nitemare
    Automan
    Great show! I still have some VHS tapes with almost all the episodes on them - they aren't in the greatest shape, but I can't bring myself to get rid of them yet.

"Otherworld" was a good show I'd like to get on DVD. That, and "Tales of the Gold Monkey". And Banacek.
    "Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgment."
    Zefram Cochrane
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks FulciLives & solarfox, ordered from BestBuy this afternoon. It is the same basic package as TOS so probably I just zoned out when I was there!

I have many Jon Pertwee episodes from the UK that have never been released here in the states, it just makes no sense to release something on one region and not the other. I have noticed more or less with the newer Doctors as well (the 10th Doctor?). But thanks to DVD hacking, that isn't so much a issue.

Thanks Again!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    "Tales of the Gold Monkey"

That was another kewl show I remember from being a young kid. I'd definity like to revisit that as well!

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  16. Barney Miller - why'd they stop after the first season? I want Dietrich!!!

"Sleepers" - this was a British (ITV?) two-part "mini-series" that was on Masterpiece theater way back in the late 80's, and I loved it and have it on Beta, taped from the TV broadcast. As far as I know it's never been released in any format, PAL or NTSC.

I have all the "Max Headroom" episodes on Beta, but just taped from the original broadcast years ago.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Forgot one-- the cartoon "Marine Boy"

Someone else mentioned Werewolf... I can't BELIEVE I didn't include that!
    Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by Guru Sonic
    And not to forget Doctor Who fans; William Hartnell & Jon Pertwee era seasons (full seasons please!). Although this would be highly unlikey unless Stephan Russo was involved in this.
    Yes to more Doctor Who!!!

A big chunk of the Hartnell era shows were erased many years ago, as were many of the the Troughton episodes. I believe most, if not all of the Pertwee era is still in existance. Tom Baker forward are all in exisitance.

I just wish that the BBC would release them in some logical sequence instead of willie-nillie picking an episode here and there to release, and most of them aren't even the popular episodes.

A couple of other series that I would love to see out on DVD would be:

Brimstone
    Galactica 1980 (Yes, I know it's cheesy, but I want to complete the collection.)
    The Magician (I think that's the name of it, staring Bill Bixby)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98
    music companies are too greedy
    Well put; that's the gist of it. Copyright whores.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, at least with the stuff in the UK when you buy the series, you buy it all, including the music rights so stuff like The Six Million Dollar Man and The Bionic Woman get released there. I would love to get the entire run of the Richard Greene version of Robin Hood which I know is out in the UK. I'll probably have to check out the new Robin Hood series starting in March. Werewolf may never get released as it was sued by the estate of Chuck Conners over using his likeness without permission while the show was in production which was why it went off the air...Fox lost in court. Very embarrassing. Heck, there are a ton of made for TV movies I'd love to see but if you check at Imdb, they always list as no commercial release (Sole Survivor, The Devil's 8, Cyborg 2087, etc.). So much stuff to watch and so little time to find it all again....
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dphirschler
    Popeye is coming this year. WB is releasing ALL the shorts from both Fleischer and King Features. Looks for two sets this year and more to follow.

Toonheads. Would love to see that! The closest thing we have to that currently is Cartoon Alley on TCM. I still have some Toonheads episodes on VHS. Been thinking about converting those recently.

Darryl
    Toonheads I still have on one of the drives I pulled out of my Dishplayer some years back. I never got around to ripping the episodes from the drive. The Popeye show is on nightly on Boomerang. I think I recorded them all but I can't be sure. It will be great to get the old Fleischer Popeye cartoons as well as the 60's TV cartoons. There was a Usenet post some months back from a fellow that had telecined most of his collection. Sitting and watching some of those really took me back to the early 60's.....
    Quote Quote  
  22. Something I'm probably alone in: Bakersfield PD

Also, a pukka release of The Invaders.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

and

Quote Quote  
  24. Boris Karloff's Thriller
    Carol Burnett and Friends
    In Search of (With Leonard Nimoy)
    Tales From the Darkside
    Batman
    13 Demon Street
    Half Hour to Kill
    Science Fiction Theatre (1955)
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by LloydAZ
    I believe most, if not all of the Pertwee era is still in existance. Tom Baker forward are all in exisitance.
    All of the Pertwee episodes exist but in varying conditions e.g. a couple of episodes exist only in black and white.

As for missing or incomplete Hartnell/Troughton stories, there was an interesting recent DVD release:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/news/cult/news/drwho/2006/11/10/37819.shtml

By the way; the season box-set of the Key To Time which was released in the US a few years back has NOT been released in the UK!
    Cole
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm still waiting for the equalizer to come on DVD
    Sincerely,

John Shumate - Owner of High Tech Entertainment

www.hteradio.net & www.hteradio.org
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    I remember really diggin' "Space 1999" when I was a young 'un, Anyone remember that one?? They were re-running it in Canada on "YTV" about 10 years ago, Don't know if it's on DVD yet or not. I'd also love to see Creedence Clearwater Revival's 1970 Albert Hall Concert OFFICIALLY released on DVD. Cool Thread Topic!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by John Shumate
    I'm still waiting for the equalizer to come on DVD
    "the equalizer" is currently running on Universal HD (via Comcast here).
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by oldfart13
    Well, at least with the stuff in the UK when you buy the series, you buy it all, including the music rights so stuff like The Six Million Dollar Man and The Bionic Woman get released there.
    The Six Million Dollar Man is out on DVD in the UK?!?!?!

WOO HOO!!!!! Thank goodness for international shipping at amazon.co.uk!

Oh, and GMaq, "Space 1999" is out on DVD, I know because I rented a couple of discs from Netflix, as I, too, remembered it somewhat fondly from my own childhood.

It was a much better show when I was 12.

EDIT: But Catherine (von) Schell ("Maya") was just as hot as I remember her, even with the funky sideburns.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    "It was a much better show when I was 12."

I was afraid that may be the case !!
    Quote Quote