VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Greetings,
    First of all I would like to ask you for your advice and patience as I am almost new to this forum. I know that this subject might have been explained already, but I would ask for your kindness to point me out where to go to get the right information. I just got a Pioneer DVR-531H and I am looking to replace the 80GB HDD with a 750GB HDD. My question is: can I clone the 80GB HDD change the serial number on the new HDD to match the 80GB, and then replace it? I know it sounds too simple, and that's why I need your expertise and help in this matter. Thank you all in advance for your time and advice.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Here's one post with a similar subject. It may give you some ideas. It's not a simple process: https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=253998

If you find nothing there, do some Google searches. If someone has done it successfully, there is probably a post about it somewhere.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rsa0
    My question is: can I clone the 80GB HDD change the serial number on the new HDD to match the 80GB, and then replace it?
    Serial No. is coded in firmware and I doubt if you ever find the utility to change it without a special low level programming hardware. Even then there's no guarantee that it will work. You are assuming that Serial No. is exactly what Pioneer recorder firmware is looking for. Your assumption may be wrong in that regard. Follow what others have posted in this forum about Pioneer HDD upgrade.
    Quote Quote  
  4. why the Polaroid DRM-2001G is easier when it comes to updating the HD and dvd recorder than the Pioneer?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    because the manufacturer have not chosen to protect their interests by limiting customers options with regards to service and repair. Big names try to use proprietary setups and parts to squeeze more bucks out from the purchaser via servicemen.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you all for the fast responses. Now, this doesn't seem to be a good start. It looks like too much trouble for something that maybe is not worth it. The service remote control is a rare bird...in fact, I could not find it at all at any price! So, I was thinking at the following (and here I would need your help - again):
    1- Return the Pioneer to Wal-Mart - although the price was good - 198$
    2- Get an RCA DRC8030N and try to upgrade that one (it should be easier, right?)
    Don't get me wrong, the recorder works fine, and I love it, BUT I don't want to be left with a silver doorstopper in a while and be stuck with it, because I can not change a simple HDD. That is the only reason that I want one that can be easily upgradeable. Again, thank you very much for your help and support.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,
    Problem solved.
    I went for the RCA DRC8030N and I am returning the Pioneer tomorrow. It took me less than 5 min. to replace the HDD on the RCA with a 500GB. Works like a champ...and no super remote required.
    Again, thank you all for the good info.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Good deal. Let us know how it works after a while. I have a 160GB drive on my Pioneer DVR, and it's quite enough for me. There was a site some time ago for using a removable hard drive tray to change out DVR hard drives and pop them into the computer to do the transfers for fine tuning in the computer before burning to DVD. Not a elegant add-on, but it did the job. Even if you had to bolt it on to the DVR, it would still work.

I also contemplated running the ATA cable and the power cable to the outside of a DVR and using that system to be able to switch the hard drives. But some DVRs make it very difficult to use different hard drives. If you want to change the HD, a model that can accept a standard formatted HD would be a big plus.
    Quote Quote