VideoHelp Forum

Poll: Are you going to buy Windows Vista?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    All my XP installs pass the Verification but the evil MS seems to have no memory, so they ask again and again and again*. Casts doubt about their database readiness for a new OS.

* plus they send me dire warnings about consequences since I am on record as a business. I actually have more paid licenses than I am using or ever will use. Can't get no respect.

PS: IRS is worse about assuming guilt unless you prove innocense as a small businessman. Meanwhile credit card abuse never gets IRS focus. They assume they are tenth in line for payment.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  2. Lots of stores are having Vista promotions today. Lots of free stuff if you buy it.

List of promos, hot deals forum at:
    http://www.fatwallet.com/
    Quote Quote  
  3. I have a bad feeling about Vista, like one day you try to run DVDdecrypter or something and you get a message like "This software violates Microsofts license agreement", or something, am I being paranoid?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Retired from video stuff MackemX's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'm in no rush and the more I read about it the less of a rush I'm in. Firstly I can't understand why it costs so much more in the UK in comparison to the US . I saw that you can't buy it online from the US either. This is (and always has been) my main gripe with MS products. They need to offer lower prices (which will attract even more legitimate users) and better discount options as numerous households have more than one PC. I can't imagine how much it would cost my mate to update all of his 3 PC's and 3 laptops that his family have to Vista

I'm also not so keen on the DRM thing (don't know much about it but I know it's not such a good thing) or the control that you give MS when you agree to their licensing.

I've had mine since September 2002 and it's still as fast as it's always been. Most problems arise for people due to all the crap they install over time and the fact they don't regularly maintain their PC's. In fact most times I visit friends/family I give their PC a quick once over to get rid of the crap. I've lost count of the times I've been told the PC is 'real fast now' etc once I've spent a few minutes on it

Some people expect a computer to run perfectly 24/7 regardless of what they do to it and this is something people shouldn't think. It's so easy for people to complain that XP sucks etc but if you don't treat it right then don't be surprised if you get problems. Yeah you may get the odd issues but most can be resolved and given the fact that their are numerous combinations then it's not all bad.

Can you imagine if people did the same thing to their cars? (in fact forget that as some do and just run their cars into the ground!). You also get the Linux/Mac gang etc saying those OS's rule but again what would they be like if they had the same crap all round that XP faces? They may still be better in some respect but would it still be as attractive if you look at the extra price (in the case of Mac's) or the lack of software/hardware options etc?

Yeah Vista may be all pretty and stuff but if you look after XP then it's pretty good. You've also been able to get software to make XP look pretty anyway such as StyleXP, DesktopX etc for a long time now

I'm looking forward to all the calls I'll get when people want to upgrade or upgrade themselves and find out the 'true cost' regarding hardware upgrades/restrictions etc and also probably run into problems

Isn't this the last full blown OS from Microsoft as they will now just change for major updates/features etc?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think you will find most of the price difference is due to your value add tax and other taxes.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Retired from video stuff MackemX's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV
    I think you will find most of the price difference is due to your value add tax and other taxes.
    yeah but nearly twice the price is a little extreme don't you think?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    They've probably added in all the EU legal costs.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Retired from video stuff MackemX's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    even the € prices are cheaper than the UK! . It's the same with most stuff in the UK, we pay silly inflated prices on many things

I'd ask how many in the USA would buy it at twice the price?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MackemX
    even the € prices are cheaper than the UK! . It's the same with most stuff in the UK, we pay silly inflated prices on many things
    I couldn't agree more
    Quote Quote  
  10. Retired from video stuff MackemX's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    OEM Ultimate was £120 in my local PC shop which isn't bad. I just don't like the fact I can't go from 32 bit to 64 bit if I ever upgrade in a year or so to 64bit and I'd have to buy the 64 bit upgrade

anything to get some cash out of you or can I install the 64bit onto the 32bit (yeah I know stupid question as you can't but I may be wrong)

although there is always the upgrade Vista via Vista trick I've heard about

https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?p=1652098#1652098

so out of interest, if someone buys Vista either OEM, upgrades or retail and genuinely doesn't like it as there's too may bells and whistles they don't like then it's tough shit as they can't sell it on or go back to XP?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by mats.hogberg
    I voted for:
    I am not upgrading until the majority of software requires it

...but if I know myself, I can't keep my flair for new toys at bay, and allofasudden I'm installing away...

/Mats
    I was in WalMart yesterday and gave in to temptation. I haven't installed it yet though. When I do I'm going to install it on a different hard drive and keep my original drive in case I want to go back to XP MCE 2005.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've been using Vista Ultimate for a couple weeks now -- and I'll never go back to Windows XP.

Things I absolutely love:

1. You can use a USB storage device to instantly add system memory to your computer. For example, you can add a 1GB USB memory key to a 512MB laptop (or old PC), and the sysem performance will improve dramatically (depending, of course, on the speed of your USB memory device). This is great when you need a little extra juice for certain applications.

2. The new search functionality is AWESOME (and always available). I never really used search in Windows XP because it usually failed to find what I was looking for (and took a long time doing it). The new search is lightning fast and works!! I use it everyday.

3. "Live Icons", or whatever the heck it's called, is awesome too. You can see what's in a file or folder without opening it. You can't under-estimate how much time and frustration this will save you until you actually try it.

4. The Interface -- come on, you have to admit that us PC users have always been a bit jealous of the look-and-feel of the Mac OS. Well, no longer. Vista is pretty on the eyes and very responsive.

DOWNSIDE:

I've had a few driver issues with some of my peripherals...but I expect them to be resolved within a few months. Nothing along the lines of when I tried to 'upgrade' to Windows XP x64. What a fiasco that was.

I'm also not thrilled with the $300 bucks I had to shell out for the software. Even now, I feel a bit angry about it, although like I said at the top: I'll never go back to Windows XP.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I've had a few driver issues with some of my peripherals...but I expect them to be resolved within a few months. Nothing along the lines of when I tried to 'upgrade' to Windows XP x64. What a fiasco that was.
    Question: Are you using the 64 bit version of Vista or the 32 bit version? Because as far as I can tell the driver hell you had with XP 64 is the same for Vista 64.

$300 for an O.S.! Are you insane? There's no frelling way I would spend $300 on an O.S. That's just plain stupid. There is nothing, nothing in Vista that justifies $300.

Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That's $300 in Canadian money. Works out to be about $260 in United States dollars.

That's the price for the Vista Ultimate upgrade here in Canada (the full version is $500!!)

Is it worth it? You may not think so, but like I said, I would never go back to XP.

Some of the time-saving features of Windows Vista will save me countless hours (and countless mouse button clicks) over the next few years.

I'm an internet developer, so I'm always searching for bits of code, graphic elements, etc -- and the "live-icon' and search functionality built into Vista alone is worth a tremendous amount to me.

Using XP just feels clumsy and slow to me now.

That's not to say that I feel great about the $300. It still burns me a bit. But I wouldn't take the $300 back in exchange for going back to XP.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ...I have to admit that I'm also enjoying the fact that everyone who sees Vista running on my 24" wide-screen monitor literally drools on the floor.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rkgibbons
    ...I have to admit that I'm also enjoying the fact that everyone who sees Vista running on my 24" wide-screen monitor literally drools on the floor.
    Installed Vista today and after spending most of the day playing with it I see no reason why, as you say, they all drool on the floor.

Frankly I expected more. I agree with CNET that it is no more then warmed over XP. Most options, menus, functionality is shamelessly taken directly from XP. Major annoyance is the "Continue" button preventing access to any option other then most basic.
    Installation was OK, no issue here but first look and major annoyance: boot options cannot be easily modified or edited. Vista gives me no access to bcdedit.exe tool (denied !? WTF) to change menu. My old XP shows as "previous windows" and I haven't been able to rename it. As per Microsoft Vista boot manager lists only Windows Vista and "legacy" OS'es. Windows help is useless. You type one thing and it returns "similar" options. no straight answers.

I expected to be blown away as per MS management. There is no Wow in Vista, couldn't find it.
    I don't plan to use it as primary OS. Windowblinds with XP give the same feel anyway. XP (for now) seems more manageable in terms of advanced options then Vista.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Never. And never again a box with pre-installed crapware. My Newegg shipment should arrive today, and I'll be using Redwudz' guide to build my own. (Thanks Redwudz).

Win2K Pro will go on it to appease the wife. Then I'm gunna see if I can master Kubuntu, when I get some spare time.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wow, InXess, you gave it all of a few hours before giving a review of your experiences with Vista. Looks like you really took the time to get to know the software...cripes...

You can certainly manage your boot options, but just not in the exact same way as XP. Why would you expect a tool like bcdedit.exe to work in Vista when it was designed for XP? Vista is largely a new architecture, so most of the old system-level applications likely won't work.

Oh well, go back to XP. We'll see you back on Vista in a couple years when everyone is using it.

Man, this all reminds me of the first few days when XP launched, when everyone cried about how much worse it was than Windows 98 and Windows 2000, and everyone said they'd never upgrade.

It's the first few weeks of a brand new operating system. There's going to be a LEARNING CURVE.

If you're not an early-adopter type, well, wait awhile. But don't try the software for a few hours and then dismiss it by saying that it doesn't work.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by InXess
    Most options, menus, functionality is shamelessly taken directly from XP.
    Shamelessly????? It's WINDOWS. What do you expect? A completely new OS that bears no resemblence whatsoever to the previous version?

Major annoyance is the "Continue" button preventing access to any option other then most basic.
    Well, then turn off UAC. Duh! You have the option. (e.g., http://www.errorforum.com/microsoft-windows-vista-error/2757-disable-vista-uac.html )

boot options cannot be easily modified or edited. Vista gives me no access to bcdedit.exe tool (denied !? WTF) to change menu. My old XP shows as "previous windows" and I haven't been able to rename it.
    That's because "Previous Windows" simply means the previous boot options - not a specific installation. I don't know why you have a problem, though. I have four "previous" versions installed along side Vista. One of which I installed afterwards. Microsoft provides details on what to do. You just need to be bothered to Google it.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa468626.aspx

XP (for now) seems more manageable in terms of advanced options then Vista.
    Clearly, you just haven't given it time. You haven't even bothered to figure out how to turn off UAC....
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
  20. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rkgibbons
    Wow, InXess, you gave it all of a few hours before giving a review of your experiences with Vista. Looks like you really took the time to get to know the software...cripes...

You can certainly manage your boot options, but just not in the exact same way as XP. Why would you expect a tool like bcdedit.exe to work in Vista when it was designed for XP? Vista is largely a new architecture, so most of the old system-level applications likely won't work.

If you're not an early-adopter type, well, wait awhile. But don't try the software for a few hours and then dismiss it by saying that it doesn't work.
    That's right I'm a fast learner. Navigating around Vista due to XP inheritance was easy. With regard to bcdedit go to MS website and try to find a document telling you exactly how to edit boot options... all the Vista docs point to bcdedit, did you know that? There's possibly a way do do it via WMI but couldn't find it. I did my DD in XP as well. Not as straight forward as you may think. Try it yourself and report back.

Originally Posted by JohnnyMalaria
    Shamelessly????? It's WINDOWS. What do you expect? A completely new OS that bears no resemblance whatsoever to the previous version?
    That wasn't my expectation. After several years of using XP I could think of many ways to improve it especially with regard to user interface. I was surprised and disappointed to find out that MS was so happy with it that decided to keep it almost in its entirety! If you were MS exec would you do that?

Well, then turn off UAC. Duh! You have the option.
    You missed my point. It simply looks like MS decided to lower the IQ requirement for Vista users. Whatever you do is followed by "are you sure?" Disabling it is a piece of cake but I decided to share my initial (unaltered) experiences. I think this is plain stupid. It was shunned in previous versions and won't escape it now i think.

That's because "Previous Windows" simply means the previous boot options - not a specific installation. I don't know why you have a problem, though. I have four "previous" versions installed along side Vista. One of which I installed afterwards. Microsoft provides details on what to do. You just need to be bothered to Google it.
    Did that, see above. Still annoying. Why? MS seems to stress by this approach that whatever you had before is ancient history, don't you think thereby enforcing Vista as the only standard now ? Childish.

Clearly, you just haven't given it time. You haven't even bothered to figure out how to turn off UAC....
    Oh, yes I have. It simply looks like excessive use of fade in and out and animation adds to functionality... There were in XP times and still are tons of applets by other developers that could make Explorer more versatile, disk management sucks just like in XP, repair options are still primitive, chkdsk is still one drive only (no multiple view, too much clicking), not to mention defrag. Simply too many to name. I'm not easy to please as "improved Windows" means a lot more for me then you. It's still feels like warmed over "XP leftovers" then a new improved OS. Win 3.1 to 95 was bigger step then XP to Vista and in that regard Vista is a letdown.

To add... it seems like MS is running out of ideas or they hesitate to improve to purposely limit users ability to perform tasks. Pick whichever you like but Apple is much more innovative, aggressive and forthcoming in their approach. Even though I've never liked Apple OS no-one can deny that they are not chasing anyone, rather trying to top themselves. MS on the other hand always stops short of expectations. Feels like if not for Apple most of the stuff in Vista wouldn't be there and whatever they included was done by someone else long before that. (like "gadgets", for example, imported straight from Apple without admitting that).
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by InXess
    Even though I've never liked Apple OS no-one can deny that they are not chasing anyone, rather trying to top themselves. MS on the other hand always stops short of expectations.
    Nonsense. Apple arrived nearly a decade later than MS with a multitasking, pre-emptive, kernel-based, multiprocessor-capable OS.
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
  22. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    That could be Intel's inspiration rather then MS.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have the Business Version, so I do not know if any of the media center/Ultimate is any good. But I will say this: Other than the software compatibly issues (which I hope will be fixed B4 SP1) this is the BEST version of windows. Is if worth $200-300 to upgrade, probably not (I got mine free through my university). But I appreciate all of the small improvements. As far as I can tell, nothing is really removed, you can always learn the new path to reaching certain options, and if there is some new functionality that you do not like (UAC for example) you can generally turn it off.

In the end I will say this: Perhaps Microsoft should be more creative, perhaps they should be more innovative. But when alls said and done, Vista is a GOOD upgrade to XP. They have actually spent time fixing more than just the UI. As a matter of fact, I would say that there were at least 4 to 5 things that Vista has that I was thinking should be in the new operating system long before I new what Microsoft was planning to do with Vista. As a matter of fact in some cases it was if they read my mind on what to do.

I don't know much about the DRM stuff, but other than that VISTA is what is up. Fugyee
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by Mr. Dweezel
    Hey Yooooda......

Where's the NEVER option?
    Same here. I'll wait until the free version without all that silly activation gubbins comes out.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by 12Quidkidinnit
    Same here. I'll wait until the free version without all that silly activation gubbins comes out.
    "The way I see it is that there is no right or wrong" activation.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If not for the new license agreements I would buy it this year or early next year at the latest not because I need it but just to keep up with the lingo. However where they force me to report to them all the time and I have to agree that they can delete software on my pc without my permission then no way.

If they made some important licensing changes, I couldn't say never ever but those changes would have to be to my liking, only then I might say...
    Anytime within the next 3 years = 0% Not a chance because I wouldn't trust that they would have a clause that allows MS to revert to their evil ways with no other recourse for users who already bought in! It might take 3 years to make sure that didn't happen.
    Anytime from 3 to 5 years = 5% - 15% chance
    Anytime from 5 to 10 years = 25% - 50% chance
    Beyond 10 years. Who the heck wants such an old OS.

Right now 99% of my hardware and software run on win98 and 100% on xp. I'm not in business or an official developer so can't use the purchase as a write-off. There is no compelling reason to switch OS right now but I have a great curiosity about Linux. I just don't know anyone familiar enough with it to teach me how to use it or I would try it. My needs are simple. Internet browsing, video capture, video editing, multi format video and audio conversion, Dvd authoring, divx creation, the ability to read multi format documents, video playback with lots of control over the display, image filtering, window size and positioning etc... that's roughly it.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hell will freeze over first.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well I am buying a new computer tomorrow and I'll be getting Windows Vista Premium on it.

It's going to be a hp pavilion amd 64 at office depot. Its a configurable pc and my setup will be around 400.00 after all is said and done. I look forward to testing out vista.

Unfortunately it says it is a 12 day ship time - hopefully I can pick a faster ship option than that
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by yoda313
    Well I am buying a new computer tomorrow and I'll be getting Windows Vista Premium on it.

It's going to be a hp pavilion amd 64 at office depot.
    Out of curiosity, are you getting 32-bit or 64-bit Vista?
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I won't be using 64 bit until some key application performs better and all drivers are available.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote