VideoHelp Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 21 of 21
Thread
  1. Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Hi--

    First of all I should mention that I'm running Windows Vista (which could cause problems for VDubMod and other programs).

    My problem is that VFAPI converts fine, makes a correct file (which even plays in WMP), but for some reason when I load it in VirtualDubMod, there is no video preview (when I scrub through the file i just see black frames).

    GSpot says:

    Code:
    - -	** Problem **	** Unknown VFW Driver file missing
    But if this is true, how does the file play fine in Windows Media Player?

    Any ideas? Any codecs that I'm possibly missing?

    Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Search Comp PM
    Try using AVISynth instead, that way you also avoid converting to RGB (assuming that you aren't using VDub filters).

    Windows Media Player uses directshow, although I would have thought that VFAPI decoded via a VfW wrapper. Still with Vista and something as old as VFAPI Reader... who knows?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks,

    I'm really not that familiar with AviSynth, is there a tool that will automatically generate scripts for me? I don't feel like learning a whole new programming language just to convert a video.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member Soopafresh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Is your source file h264 by any chance ?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by [K
    eep[A]way]Hi--

    First of all I should mention that I'm running Windows Vista (which could cause problems for VDubMod and other programs).

    My problem is that VFAPI converts fine, makes a correct file (which even plays in WMP), but for some reason when I load it in VirtualDubMod, there is no video preview (when I scrub through the file i just see black frames).

    hi...i am a newbie here as you can see this is my first post...anyway i am encountering exactly the same problem as you are...if u have find any soultion....can u please let me know? also i have vista ultimate installed...
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Search Comp PM
    Hey Guys,

    I have just started doing this, I am currently running Windows Vista Home Basic 32-bit and after i have downloaded the .zip file for VFAPI Reader, i then proceed to run the vifpset batch file when i incurr the following error message:



    I have converted without doing this but then when i load the avi file into VirtualDub, i then incurr the following message as soon as I open the avi file:



    Any assistance to correct this would be greatly appreciated?!?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Always Watching guns1inger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Miskatonic U
    Search Comp PM
    Vista goes a little overboard with security (OK, understatement) with installed programs. Whereas under XP you can happily write to folders under Program Files, Vista will not allow this be default, even if your account has administrator rights. The applications themselves can, but not you. You have to first go to the folder under program Files that you need to copy files into (or that your batch file is going to copy files into), right-click and select Properties. Click on the Security tab, then the Edit button. Select your account, and tick the unticked boxes. OK your way back out again, and run the script.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger
    Vista goes a little overboard with security (OK, understatement) with installed programs. Whereas under XP you can happily write to folders under Program Files, Vista will not allow this be default, even if your account has administrator rights. The applications themselves can, but not you. You have to first go to the folder under program Files that you need to copy files into (or that your batch file is going to copy files into), right-click and select Properties. Click on the Security tab, then the Edit button. Select your account, and tick the unticked boxes. OK your way back out again, and run the script.
    Hi guns1inger,

    I have tried this and still get the same error messages. It's like its not compatible with Windows Vista at all? Any other suggestions?

    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Search Comp PM
    If other VfW codecs (decoder in this case) install, then there is no reason why it shouldn't.

    Probably shouldn't do this since it might encourage people to keep using VFAPI, but I created an installer that you can try.

    http://www.brokenlogic.net/test/vfapi-setup.exe

    Really don't get why someone would want to upgrade to Vista, but keep using a 5+ (?) year old tool though. Anyway, let us know if it works.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member vhelp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    New York
    Search Comp PM
    Evening celtic_druid,

    (my reason for vfapi is rgb, and avisynth is not always a requirement in
    my many dat-to-day projects) but..

    I too, am having trouble installing the VFAPI on my (new) system, but in
    my case, I am on XP Home. Mind you, this is on a fresh install of XP
    from the get-go. And I'm trying to get any version of DGIndex to work
    with the vfapi (any version) but they all fail to work when I drag a .d2v
    file into the vfapi window -- nothing happens. but..

    When I use the older dvd2avi tools, they all work with any version of the
    vfapi tool. And I've tried the .bat installer and .reg installers. Both
    methods fail. I'm wondering if I did something wrong or its XP Home.

    Should I use your installer in my case or do you think I missed something ??

    Thanks,
    -vhelp 4268
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Search Comp PM
    You can have AVISynth output RGB and you can have DGIndex output the script for you so I really can't see what advantage VFAPI has.

    The installer should work on all 32bit versions of windows. Shouldn't have any effect on your problem with dragging d2v files into the vfapi window problem though since that should work without the reader codec installed anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Search Comp PM
    i have installed the file, and it will now load the file into virtualdub but the image is black. I am now going to try the suggested avisynth as i am new to this whole thing i am only going by what tutorials i have found which is why i started with the other first. If there is something telling me what to do with this avisynth that would be awesome.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, i dont understand that one either, so if anyone can provide me with some sort of direction on transfer a DVD to xVid or a high quality AVI file it would be much appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member vhelp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    New York
    Search Comp PM
    Afternoon everyone.

    Possible bug in the latest DGIndex v1.4.9rc2 (with respect to vfapi operation)

    Tested under: Windows 98

    Ok.. After a whole day, give or take a few hours.. I found out the problem was
    (nearest I can describe) as, a desycned dgindex v1.4.9rc2 and vfapi plugin execution.

    Let me explain..

    Seems the latest dgindex v1.4.9rc2 has either a typo or dgdecode.dll v1.4.9rc2
    was not updated for syncronized vfapi plugin connectivity. Sorry, I'm having
    trouble wording this with the proper terminology. When the .d2v source file
    is created, the number at the top is 16 and not 11, and consiquentially, stalls.
    But when I change the 16 to an 11, VFAPIConv.exe (VFAPI Reader Codec v1.05)
    tool will accept it and process a fake avi.

    Now, to test under XP Home.

    -vhelp 4271
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member vhelp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    New York
    Search Comp PM
    Horray.. it works under XP, too. I guess I can live with this new
    procedure of replacing 16 with an 11 inside the .d2v file. And now
    I can play with my hdtv sources with the latest dgindex v1.4.9rc2
    and vfapi. Great, I'm happy, again

    Cheers,
    -vhelp 4273
    Quote Quote  
  16. I'm also having a problem running VFAPI on windows Vista Home Premium Edition. Any solutions out there???
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by celtic_druid
    Really don't get why someone would want to upgrade to Vista, but keep using a 5+ (?) year old tool though.
    People still use the VFAPI Reader because it's the easiest way to run a frameserver. With Avisynth, you need to write a script (or at least alter an existing one) for every new video you want to serve. For me that is clumsy. Hell, using VFAPI, you don't even have to know what a script is....
    It's usage is as simple as it gets.

    To those that feel like me about VFAPI, I'll post a solution on how to get it running under Vista 64 bit (without the need for an installer):
    Open a command promt with administrative rights (type cmd in the start menue and hit Ctrl+Shift+Enter).
    Navigate to the %SystemRoot%\SysWOW64 folder (that's where all the 32-bit stuff is stored - ingenious of Microsoft to name the folder SysWOW64, isn't it? ).
    then type rundll32.exe advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection C:\Your_Path\vifp.inf,DefaultInstall and you're done.
    Substitute C:\Your_Path with the path to your vfip.inf, but note that you can't use placeholders like "*" to shorten the folder names or you'll get an error message stating the inf could not be found...

    When everything went right, you'll see the VFAPI Reader Codec in the virtualdub video compression menue.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Search Comp PM
    daHeld, THANK YOU!!!! Du bist mein Held!!!

    It worked just like you said. I have Vista 32 Premium, and I had the same problem. But I did like you said:
    - cmd with administrator rights
    - I went to C:\windows\system32\
    - and then I typed rundll32.exe advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection C:\my_Path\vifp.inf,DefaultInstall

    And see, IT WORKED!!!! You´re a genius.... and you spared me tons of time looking for another tool..... great!!
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Search Comp PM
    Glad to hear it worked for you.
    So Vista 32 and 64 bit aren't that different after all...
    I'm happy I could be of service here.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Jersey, C.I.
    Search Comp PM


    Hours of searching for a solution to Couldn't locate decompresser for format 'vifp' and I find this...

    THANK YOU Works for me on Vista64

    Originally Posted by daHeld
    Open a command promt with administrative rights (type cmd in the start menue and hit Ctrl+Shift+Enter).
    Navigate to the %SystemRoot%\SysWOW64 folder (that's where all the 32-bit stuff is stored - ingenious of Microsoft to name the folder SysWOW64, isn't it? ).
    then type rundll32.exe advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection C:\Your_Path\vifp.inf,DefaultInstall and you're done.
    Substitute C:\Your_Path with the path to your vfip.inf, but note that you can't use placeholders like "*" to shorten the folder names or you'll get an error message stating the inf could not be found...
    Will have to learn AVISynth though. I do agree we shouldn't be using an old prog like this BUT it is easy to get a n00b up and running.

    Many thanks again...
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by daHeld View Post
    To those that feel like me about VFAPI, I'll post a solution on how to get it running under Vista 64 bit (without the need for an installer):
    Open a command promt with administrative rights (type cmd in the start menue and hit Ctrl+Shift+Enter).
    Navigate to the %SystemRoot%\SysWOW64 folder (that's where all the 32-bit stuff is stored - ingenious of Microsoft to name the folder SysWOW64, isn't it? ).
    then type rundll32.exe advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection C:\Your_Path\vifp.inf,DefaultInstall and you're done.
    @daHeld - thank you. Worked for me in Win7 64-bit.
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads