VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a Panasonic DMR-EX85 standalone recorder. I've recently bought some dual layer DVD+R discs. The recorder struggles to format these, saying it's done it but then reporting the disc isn't formatted correctly when trying to burn to it. By keep trying, I did manage to get it to format a couple of the discs and, once they were formatted, they worked perfectly.

So, my question is this: is it possible, and how, to format the discs using my PC in a way that the Panasonic would recognise, so that I can use the discs?

Thanks in advance,

Gary
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I didn't know they were making ReWriteable DVD+R Dual Layer DVD Disks.

Or DVD-RAM disks that were Dual Layer.

As far as I know ... ReWriteable Disks and DVD-RAM disks are the only Disks that are sometimes formated before being recorded too.
    Quote Quote  
  3. lacywest,

The disks are not rewritable, but the Panasonic formats all +R disks before it can use them. Looking at these disks on the computer after they've been formatted, but before any videos are added, the formatting appears to just create an open session.

I don't know why the recorder is struggling, because it works with other disks (though I haven't tried any other DL disks, so another brand may help). If only I could format the disks on the computer, I think that would help.

Gary
    Quote Quote  
  4. Try Verbatim. I have burned over 200 hundred on a Panasonic. Never a glitch.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    He may be confusing 'formatting' with 'initialization' too...
    Quote Quote