VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi. I’m completely stumped. After two hours of reading the manual I have to ask this question. I understand that you can get two hours or more of recordings on a DVD. The more time on DVD, the less picture quality.

My Toshiba RD-XS35 recorder is telling me the following?

(Selected items will exceed disk capacity. Reduce chapters or titles)

I have 1 hour, 22 minutes, 26 seconds, of a wedding video I captured to the HDD via VHS transfer. Now I want to put it on a R/W disk so I can transport to computer. Of course I want the best picture transfer quality to DVD I can get. I set the user record quality to mode rate of manual, rate is set at 7.2, Audio quality is set at D/M1. Total time is 86 minutes of video I want to put on one R/W disk.

Can someone tell me what I’m doing wrong? Isn’t there a setting or an auto mode that I can use that will allow the recorder to choose the highest pic recorder quality for the amount of time I want it to record with using the entire amount of disk space to achieve the best possible picture quality?

Thanks
    “When Memories Exceed Dreams Life Is Over”
    Quote Quote  
  2. If I am reading this correctly you have 82 minutes of video reorded at a rate that allows for 86 minutes for disc transfer?

Have you checked the RW disc to see if there may already be something on it?

You might want to try another disc to see if it lets you proceed. Perhaps a -R for testing purposes.

Also you might try looking at the title info to make sure your recording is in fact at the rate you think it is. Press content menu on your remote. Highlight your title. Press quick menu on your remote. Go to title information. This will show you the bit rate of the title along with other things.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Your 7.2 setting with D/M1 audio will only give you 79 minutes of recording time.

Drop your 7.2 down to something like 6.2. Give yourself some room so that you are not burning to the very edge of the DVD disc. The edge is where a lot of burn errors can occur.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Last suggestion is a rate conversion dubbing. If you do not want to take the time to rerecord your material try this.

Press content menu. Highlight your title. Press quick menu. Highlight and press rate conversion dubbing. Pick the first option HDD -> Disc. Don't pick HDD -> HDD. If you do you will be just rate converting a copy to the HDD.

This will fit your recording to the disc.
    Quote Quote  
  5. The Rate Conversion dubbing feature works very well and will save you from capturing the VHS again. I use this option on my XS34 sometimes when I have something that is a little too large (like a 2 hour 15 minute movie recorded from the tuner at SP, which I've done by mistake a few times).

Set your DVD recording quality to a rate that will work for the time needed, then go back to the HDD edit menu to do a rate conversion dub to DVD. It works in real time (not a high speed dub).
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Next, Gshelley61:

Next, I did what you said and here is what I find out:

I captured my video to HDD in SP Quality, SP Mode, Rate 4.6 Audio D/M1, DVD Mode: Off.

So what you both are telling me that I can improve the quality of what I have already on my HDD by using the Rate Conversion Dubbing Feature?

I am trying it right now.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by jrank001
    I have 1 hour, 22 minutes, 26 seconds, of a wedding video I captured to the HDD via VHS transfer. Now I want to put it on a R/W disk so I can transport to computer. Of course I want the best picture transfer quality to DVD I can get. I set the user record quality to mode rate of manual, rate is set at 7.2, Audio quality is set at D/M1. Total time is 86 minutes of video I want to put on one R/W disk.
    Originally Posted by jrank001
    I captured my video to HDD in SP Quality, SP Mode, Rate 4.6 Audio D/M1, DVD Mode: Off.

So, are you saying that you captured the VHS to the HDD in SP (4.6 D/M1)? Or was it at 7.2 D/M1? You would want DVD Mode set to On either way (this prevents VR recording at non-standard frame resolutions that can't be used on DVD's)

If you captured at SP, then you would want to do a simple transfer to DVD (DVD-Video Creation). It's a high speed dub to DVD with no rate conversion. Doing a rate conversion dub from a 4.6 source up to 6.2 will not improve quality at all. The Rate Conversion feature is meant for reducing file size... that is, if you captured to the HDD at 7.2, but needed a 6.2 bitrate for the video to fit on a DVD. Rate conversion would re-encode (transcode) the 7.2 file at a 6.2 average bitrate. Very similar to what DVD Shrink does on the computer.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gshelley61

So, are you saying that you captured the VHS to the HDD in SP (4.6 D/M1)? Or was it at 7.2 D/M1? You would want DVD Mode set to On either way (this prevents VR recording at non-standard frame resolutions that can't be used on DVD's)

If you captured at SP, then you would want to do a simple transfer to DVD (DVD-Video Creation). It's a high speed dub to DVD with no rate conversion. Doing a rate conversion dub from a 4.6 source up to 6.2 will not improve quality at all. The Rate Conversion feature is meant for reducing file size... that is, if you captured to the HDD at 7.2, but needed a 6.2 bitrate for the video to fit on a DVD. Rate conversion would re-encode (transcode) the 7.2 file at a 6.2 average bitrate. Very similar to what DVD Shrink does on the computer.
    Gshelley61:

Yes I did VHS to HDD in SP (4.6 D/M1). I need to recapture since I have deleted and reformatted the HDD. Starting over to learn better.

New capture settings are as follows. User record quality to Manual Mode, (6.6 D/M1) 86 minutes recording time to HDD. Will this give me the best transfer picture quality to HDD?

How do I get to the DVD Mode screen? Any other setting you recommend Gshelley61 before I recapture?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  9. I would drop the bitrate a little bit lower so you don't have to burn all the way out to the edge of the disc when you dub it from the HDD... unless you are using very high quality media like Taiyo Yuden.

Make sure you have DVD Mode set to On in the recording setup menu.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I will drop the bitrate and give it a try. Capturing now and then will try to convert to DVD-RW again. Thanks for all the help.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I started all over again with my VHS to HDD capture using a JVC SR-W5U (TBC On) to a DR-1000 to a BVP-4 to my RD-XS35.

My recording settings used to HDD. Manual Mode, (6.4 D/M1) 88 minutes. As not to burn to close to the edge as you mentioned gshelley61.

I went into title information and this is what it’s telling me.
    Media: HDD
    Quality: -
    Mode: MN
    Rate: 6.4
    Audio: D/M1
    DVD Mode: Main. There is no ON. It’s Main, SAP or OFF.
    Showing a time of 1:22:41

I go into Edit Menu, DVD Video Create, I hit enter (twice) and pull down my Source: Title Original video to Creating Media DVD. I have the same picture on top and on bottom now. My capacity bar looks to be at about 85% full. I go and hit enter and I get the same message again.

(Selected items will exceed disk capacity. Reduce chapters or titles) I have one Title and one Chapter.

So what I did to get it to work is what was recommended by next and gshelley61. I used the rate conversion dubbing. It worked and I ripped to PC. Still why isn’t this working?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  12. It is because you already have something on the disc you are trying to copy to. Thus reducing its capacity. Either erase everything of the -RW or take a fresh new disc and go through the process again.

I was able to duplicate your experience. Your target disc is not empty.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by jrank001
    I started all over again with my VHS to HDD capture using a JVC SR-W5U (TBC On) to a DR-1000 to a BVP-4 to my RD-XS35.

My recording settings used to HDD. Manual Mode, (6.4 D/M1) 88 minutes. As not to burn to close to the edge as you mentioned gshelley61.

I went into title information and this is what it’s telling me.
    Media: HDD
    Quality: -
    Mode: MN
    Rate: 6.4
    Audio: D/M1
    DVD Mode: Main. There is no ON. It’s Main, SAP or OFF.
    Showing a time of 1:22:41

I go into Edit Menu, DVD Video Create, I hit enter (twice) and pull down my Source: Title Original video to Creating Media DVD. I have the same picture on top and on bottom now. My capacity bar looks to be at about 85% full. I go and hit enter and I get the same message again.

(Selected items will exceed disk capacity. Reduce chapters or titles) I have one Title and one Chapter.

So what I did to get it to work is what was recommended by next and gshelley61. I used the rate conversion dubbing. It worked and I ripped to PC. Still why isn’t this working?

Thanks
    When you pressed Enter the third time, it was trying to load the file (again). That's why you got the error message. What you needed to do after highlighting the video and pushing Enter twice to load it was to use the down arrow button to highlight the green Start or Next box (I can't remember what it's called right now) at the lower right part of the GUI... then press Enter to continue.

BTW, you can totally skip the DR-1000 when using the SR-W5U. The JVC's internal TBC is full frame and it defeats copy protection... the DR-1000 is redundant and will degrade or soften the image somwhat. You may not need that BVP-4 proc amp in the chain, either. Set the Toshiba's input recording black level to Standard, and try the four different recording "Mode" settings to tweak the image brightness and luma a little bit if necessary. A straight s-video connection from the SR-W5U directly into the DVD recorder will give you the best picture, unless more aggressive picture adjustments are going to be needed (then add the BVP-4).
    Quote Quote  
  14. Makes sense to me. You are right you have to arrow over to start.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank You Gentlemen. I will capture again. I am making time to learn this. I will take out of the chain all added equipment per gshelley61 recommendations and use just the SR-W5U to DVD Recorder. I will tweak in the RD-XS35 as needed. Then try again.

I’m also experimenting with my firewire port and having problems there also. Here is my error message.

The equipment connected to the DV terminal is not recognized. Please check.

I have a brand new 4 to 4 pin cable. The cameras firewire port works because I have transferred video to PC using a 6 to 4 pin cable and WINDV.

Thanks again for all the help.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Gshelley61 you said:

When you pressed enter the third time, it was trying to load the file (again). That's why you got the error message. What you needed to do after highlighting the video and pushing Enter twice to load it was to use the down arrow button to highlight the green Start or Next box (I can't remember what it's called right now) at the lower right part of the GUI... then press Enter to continue.

Yes I saw that reloading the third time. So I only did it twice with no luck. Then it worked correctly when I arrowed over to the “next” button like you said. It’s acting like there is short in the button because it would not let me at first. It did nothing then it worked. I will change batteries. Yes it worked then like it should and I copied too DVD.

Thank you gshelley61 and next for your patience with a rookie.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by jrank001
    I’m also experimenting with my firewire port and having problems there also. Here is my error message.

The equipment connected to the DV terminal is not recognized. Please check.

I have a brand new 4 to 4 pin cable. The cameras firewire port works because I have transferred video to PC using a 6 to 4 pin cable and WINDV.

Thanks again for all the help.
    It's possible that your XS35 does not recognize that particular brand and model of camcorder.

Give it a couple of more tries... if no luck, call Toshiba customer support about it.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Gshelley61:

You are correct. My Toshiba RD-XS35 does not recognize my brand and model of camcorder. No firmware update is available for the recorder to correct this issue. Toshiba customer support said it’s a compatibility issue and there is nothing they can do. This is a major let down for me.

Thank you for the help
    Quote Quote  
  19. What brand is it? I had the same problem with a JVC camcorder. I never tried it with my Toshiba but I could not get anything to see it.
    Quote Quote  
  20. My XS34 works fine with my Canon MiniDV camcorders.

Did Toshiba mention if there was a list of brands/models that your unit is compatible with? Perhaps you can get one of those on eBay for playback purposes (or to replace your current camcorder)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My KX50 works fine with my JVC MiniDV Camcorder...
    Life is better when you focus on the signals instead of the noise.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Strange. I’m having the same issue on my Pioneer DVR-633H. I have a Sony DCR-PC110 which I purchased in 2000.

I had a Pioneer 220 that it worked fine on and the camcorder works from a 6 to 4 pin firewire cable to PC using WINDV. That tells me the port on the camera is working but not on the recorders. Bad cable? It’s the second one I tried.

Any ideas other then replacing the camcorder. I don’t think I can find one that has all the bells and whistles the PC110 has nowadays. Not to mention the added cost.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No gshelley61. Toshiba did not have a list of brands/models of camcorders that my unit is compatible with.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Next. What did you end up doing? New camcorder?
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Recap. I went and purchased a third firewire cable and it does work now. Thank God. I'm whondering if the make up of the cables are different. Is that possabile?
    Quote Quote  
  26. Maybe the cable was bad? Or was having trouble at the making a good connection...
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Gshelley61:

I found this link and went from there.

https://www.videohelp.com/forum/archive/t281042.html

Others having the same issue with Sony cams but connecting to a PC not a DVD Recorder. Strange having two bad cables.
    Quote Quote