VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I recently installed a new linux distro to my drive, kubuntu 6.10. I would like to be able to use my ATI All-In-Wonder 9600 capture card on linux to capture directly to d1 mpeg2 as I do in windows. I have seen some guides/info about this around the 'net but it was quite outdated and not very specific. I see ATI has a specific linux driver for this model card:
    http://ati.de/support/drivers/linux/linux-firegl.html
    https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/ati-driver-installer...x86.x86_64.run

Should I install that? I am guessing it doesn't include capture support, or does it? If so could I just use something like MythTV to capture?

Also I've heard about this thing called GATOS which allows you to use ati devices in linux:
    http://gatos.sourceforge.net
    But I'm not sure about the technicality of setting it up - is that really necessary.

What is my best route to be able to capture in linux?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You make any progress on this?
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  3. No I never did smurf. I went back to windows but today I just installed ubuntu ultimate. It is really great, and I actually got beryl working. I would like to approach this again, any ideas anyone?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry to here that your having a problem. You still might be able to get it to work.
    With ATI being in MS corner their support is bismal for anything other than windows.
    When conserding linux it best to stay as far away from any ATI products as possable.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by courtrrb
    Sorry to here that your having a problem. You still might be able to get it to work.
    With ATI being in MS corner their support is bismal for anything other than windows.
    When conserding linux it best to stay as far away from any ATI products as possable.
    I'm glad I know that now! Any suggestions on how I might go about getting it to work?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Yes, I did follow that guide on my old (edgy) kubuntu install. Now on my new Ubuntu Ultimate I can try giving it a shot again. I was confused about a couple parts of the guide:
    Originally Posted by 1
    Go into your motherboard BIOS ("Advanced Menu" "Chip Configuration") and set those following options this way::

AGP Performance Control Enabled (optional)
    AGP Disk Write Control Enabled
    Video Memory Cache Mode [USWC] (optional)(Activating this option causes fuzzy horizontal lines on my screen! Check if your Graphic Card support it!)

The most important option to enable is AGP Disk Write Control ..... otherwise your screen will freeze when you'll start AVView!
    I didn't know where to find that in my BIOS, I didn't see anything relating to that after looking all through it.

Originally Posted by 2
    Your graphic card driver must be Radeon ATI (Xorg modular 7.0 or 7.1) and not ATI fglrx!!
    I also could not figure out what this meant. I don't know how to tell what my driver is, can you help?

Thanks a lot!
    Quote Quote