VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm a computer newb, but you're probably used to that. I'll try to explain my problem as clearly as possible...

So I have this shitty free burning program that came with my computer for free. Power2Go. I try burning a .avi video file first. I insert a new DVD+R. The program tells me I need to insert a burnable disk and isn't recognizing it as burnable at all.

I assume I have the wrong type of DVD, so I go out and buy a pack of DVD-R's. Same deal. I pop it in, my program tells me it's not a burnable disk.

So then I think "Well this free Power2Go program might be the problem!" So I get Nero. Now theres several options for HOW to burn DVDs. I tried them all, and tried to work with both .avi files and folders full of VTS files. Every time my burner refues to recognize either DVD+R or DVD-R as burnable.

Can anyone help me?

Because I figure someone will ask, in my Device Manager, under "DVD/CD-ROM drives" these are listed:
    HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8164B
    HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4482B

My Gateway support page has this listed:

CD-RW/DVD Combo Drives
    HLDS 48X/32X/48X CD-RW/DVD Combination Drive [Part #WMEGCC-4482BSILVER]

I don't actually know if that is all the information you need, so let me know if theres anymore informations I can give you.

My boyfriend mentioned something about "updating drivers" but I don't know what that means or how to do it...

Thank you for any help.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A "combo" drive means it reads dvd, but won't burn them. You can only burn cds with that drive.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What he said, you can only burn CDs not DVDs with those.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I'm an older lady and this video stuff is new to me. I created a slideshow with WMM that I wanted to burn to a DVD so it could be watched on a TV. I have the exact same problem as the person who posted this topic. I also have the HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4482B so I understand that I cannot burn to a DVD.

What should I do? Get an internal or external DVD burner? Which would be better with my system? I have someone that can install the burner in my computer but I don't know if this is the best way to go. I would need something that is compatable with XP Media Center. I plan on making more of these slideshows in the future so I'll need a good burner. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Annee
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Internal burner is cheaper but requires opening the case on the computer to fit it. However, this isn't difficult, just take out the existing drive, check what the jumper on the back is set to (either SL, MA or CS), set the new one the same and put it in.

External is just a plug it into a spare USB port and away you go but will cost more. I have always used Pioneer burners and never had a failure yet.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the speedy reply Richard_G!

My husband says he's sure he can install the new burner. He installed a new mother board on my old computer...no problem. I'm just wondering if there are ever compatibility issues with XP Media Center on any of these DVD burners or is that something I don't need to worry about? Would I be replacing the burner I have now with an internal or just putting it in a different slot if one is available? This is probably a stupid question but will I be able to still burn regular CDs for music with a new DVD burner....or does it just depend on what I get?

Thanks in advance and thanks so much for this forum!

Annee
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Annee, if your hubby installed a mobo then he should have no problem installing a new DVD burner, and use a separate slot if available ,so one can read and new can burn, less wear and tear ...Your new burner will burn Cd music as well....no stupid ?'s here...good luck!
    " Who needs Google, my wife knows everything"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Annee
    My husband says he's sure he can install the new burner. He installed a new mother board on my old computer...no problem. I'm just wondering if there are ever compatibility issues with XP Media Center on any of these DVD burners or is that something I don't need to worry about? Would I be replacing the burner I have now with an internal or just putting it in a different slot if one is available? This is probably a stupid question but will I be able to still burn regular CDs for music with a new DVD burner....or does it just depend on what I get?

Thanks in advance and thanks so much for this forum!

Annee
    Get a PIONEER 112D or a LGH42N drive. You could use the new drive in another slot if it's available and if there's another ide channel available as well. With the prices of dvd burners inexpensive these days just replace it w/your cdrw combo drive. You'll still be able to burn cds with any dvd burner. Any dvd burner will work with XP media center. If you're looking at compatibility issues they would be software conflicts and not a hardware one. Dvd burners do not need any drivers after they're installed. Make sure you have the jumper connections on the dvd burner set correctly and it is a must that you use a 80 wire ide cable for your new drive. Most newer dvd burners require a 80 wire ide cable, if not then the drive will not work correctly.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    t0nee1 and budz...thank you...thank you...thank you!

You're posts helped me so much and I can't begin to tell you how much I appreciate your taking the time to help me.

This is exactly the help I needed!

Thanks again,

Annee
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No prob. Annee, just trying to help.....
    " Who needs Google, my wife knows everything"
    Quote Quote