VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have tried several AC3 encoders (free and commercial) and no matter what when I burn this DVD in DVD Lab Pro 1.5 my standalone player is playing the audio at a super super super low volume. I set the TV volume to max and press my ear against the speaker and then I can barely hear it. I thought the problem was the encoder but I even tried Soft Encode and get the same result. I am out of ideas, the only constant is DVD Lab Pro. Some FAQ said to change the DVD player setup but I tried setting the DVD player Dolby setting to bitstream and PCM and both had the same result. The audio is fine in PowerDVD (although I get all kinds of errors in Theatertek...)

Any ideas?

PS this is just 2 channel audio... PCM would take up too much space and I'm nervous to use mp2 for NTSC
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You need to either up the volume before you encode to AC3, or make sure you have your AC3 settings correct when encoding. I use Sound Forge to encode to AC3 and author with DLP and have no issues at all. Granted, I play back through a decoding amplifier, however I have my home made discs playing at the same volume as my commercial discs.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Been working on a series of really simple scripts which will increase volume and perform dynamic range limiting on the major audio file types for video - AC3, MP3, WAV, DTS, MP2, etc. Requires Avisynth be installed (no biggie, that's a really small app) and .NET 2.0. It'll be really simple 2-track stereo AC3 for your DVD, but it'll have some volume. What format is your audio before you turn it into AC3 ?

Then again, your AC3 shouldn't be so quiet that you have to hold your ear to the TV
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The audio is WAV files from the AVI's I recorded. The wavs are loud on my computer, and all of the AC3's I created sound a little softer on my computer, but on my TV through my DVD player they are inaudible. The player is a Panasonic S29. I have to be doing something wrong somewhere. When I play them in PowerDVD everything sounds normal.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ROFL. I found the problem. My DVD player audio was hooked up to the wrong input on my TV. LOL. I guess I learned that the audio from another input actually leaks over. Oh well, problem solved.
    Quote Quote