VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm trying to find a dvd recorder with hd upconversion playback that also has a setting to flag recording as anamorphic/widescreen. you see, most of the content I'll be recording is 480i anamorphic. However without the proper flag encoded on the disc, dvd players will always treat the content as 4:3. This is important for several reasons. For example, if you loan an improperly flagged widescreen recording to somebody with a 4:3 set (mine are all 16:9), their dvd player will assume it's fullscreen and play it back in the wrong aspect. If the proper flag is on the disc, it will behave like a commerical widescreen dvd and automatically add the letterboxing. Another reason this is useful is for those of us with TVs that sense the aspect of the incoming signal and automatically change zoom/wide mode accordingly.

I know the old Toshiba D-R4 had this setting, as well as the Cyberhome 1600. From what I can tell from the new Toshiba D-R5 pdf manual it does NOT. The only thing I've found so far that fits the bill is a couple of Toshiba XS series units (XS55 and KX50 which is no longer made) but they are very expensive and include a hard drive which I do NOT need. If anyone knows of other options please let me know.

Thanks,
    M
    Quote Quote  
  2. I bought the KX-50 for less than $40 on ebay. I haven't tried the upconversion yet, but I've got an HDMI cable on the way, so I will soon.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mitchfx
    The only thing I've found so far that fits the bill is a couple of Toshiba XS series units (XS55 and KX50 which is no longer made) but they are very expensive and include a hard drive which I do NOT need. If anyone knows of other options please let me know.

Thanks,
    M
    Why do you think you won't need a hard drive? Do you want to edit at all? Even minimally, like cutting commercials out? Then you want a hard drive. Would you ever record a sporting event, and want to have it at the highest quality? You need to be able to divide and split titles, edit out segments etc. Everyone always thinks they don't need a hard drive, then regret later that they don't have one. Or put another way, I have yet to hear someone say, darn, I wish I didn't get that hard drive on my dvd recorder.

The Pioneer 640 is still available for $339 if you look hard enough. Most Pioneers should be able to recognize the widescreen flag. I know my Pio 520 does. HDMI upconversion is really not a high priority for a dedicated DVD recorder. You should have a good upconverting DVD player for that, which can be had cheaply. You should save the wear and tear on the recorder and not use it as a player anyway.
    Quote Quote