VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Appologies if this has been asked before but I've had a bit of a look and I can't find anything with this exact problem.

I've had the above DVD recorder for about 2 years and it has worked fine but it's now being very tempremental with which disks it will play.
    All of a sudden when I stick a disk in, it tries to load it and but comes up with a disk error message and won't load up.

At first I thought this was because my baby daughter had been playing with the disks and got them dirty so I tried cleaning them and used a cleaner disk. But this has had no effect and now I am also having the problem with some new disks I have just bought (blank disk and films) that are playing fine on other machines. Other disks though seem to work without any problem at all and a few will eventually work if I keep ejecting and trying again.

I have tried opening the case and cleaning any dust inside the machine but it has had no effect.

Has anyone else had a similar experience or know of anything I can do to fix it.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That model is not two years old that I'm aware of. It's relatively new, maybe a year at most.

It may still be the discs. Just coincidence that both blanks and pressed give troubles, since the pressed ones are dirty from kids, and the blanks may be lesser quality. What brand/ID are the blanks?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm certain I've had it longer than that but I will check that just in case it's still under guarantee.

I can't remember what brand the blank disks are, I think some may be memorex.

I have tried pressed ones straight out of the wrapping (i.e. never been touched since I bought it) and it still won't work. I've tried to see something on the boxes of the disks that play that's different to the ones that don't but I can't see anything.

One other thing. I tried to get into the actual disk drive to see if the lense was dirty but I couldn't get in. When I put it back together I was a bit rushed and didn't screw the drive back into place properly. I then tried a disk that I hadn't been able to get working previously and after a couple of goes it made a grinding noise but then began to work. Unfortunately though the sound of the disk spinning became really loud (so much that I couldn't hear the dialogue) and fast. I took the player appart again and secured the disk drive properly and when I put it back together it started to sound normal again but it went back to not playing the disk!
    Quote Quote  
  4. I have a question about this or any current JVC dvd recorder, if i may ask it here.

Does anyone know if any of the recent JVC dvd recorders will play a properly Burned dvd+r dl ??

The reason i ask is i currently have 3 different models of JVC dvd players and only JVC's latest model will play a dvd+r dl.. (the others freeze when it is time to switch to the second layer).

I am considering a JVC dvd recorder. Model uncertain yet.

The ability to play dvd+r dl's is a must for me.

Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've been playing Verbatim DVD+R DL media in both my JVC DR-M10S and JVC DR-M100S with zero problems. If you're having problems, it's probably due to your choices in media, burning software, or authoring issues.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thank you, Lordsmurf for the reply and the models that you know play the DL's correctly.

I have been using Anydvd/Clonedvd2 combo for many years now(Sony dru-820a pc burner) along with Sony dvd+r DL's.

The Sony DVD+R DL's play consistantly fine in a Panasonic Dmr-EH55s, Polaroid dvd recorder(receieved one for xmas but it was a lemon and returned it), and JVC's XV-n330b dvd player.

I am looking at either JVC or Pioneer for a recorder.

Thanks again,
    Quote Quote