VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Guys I have been searching the net for days looking for the drivers and programmes for the "Grandtec V.Cap USB" capture device. I have contacted Grandtec to no avial, but downloaded files of their Tawain website. I have downloaded a folder from two different sites called W2K_246b.zip and it looks like the original CD I had when I bought it. The programmes work and are the correct one but when I try to install the actual usb device it doesnt like it. I remember something about needing divx so I installed that too.
    When I start from scratch the first of 3 drivers installs - USB Composite Device (oviously a built in one) then it doesnt like the other 2 drivers. Ive tried running the drivers included in the original zip files from CD's, put them in system32\drivers, rebooted god knows how many times but im still stuck. Ive loved this website for years and usually found the answer without having to touch the forum - but desperate times...
    Details are:-
    Grand(tec) V.Cap USB
    Programme - Amcap5a.exe
    And things Ive been able to track down as needing? - SPCA506 and SAA7113
    In the folder there is :-
    DRV
    amcap5a.exe -- [63.0 KB -- 19 May 2000]
    ca506a.inf -- [2.1 KB -- 31 Mar 2000]
    ca506aa.inf -- [3.2 KB -- 31 Mar 2000]
    CA506AA.sys -- [39.7 KB -- 17 Apr 2000]
    ca506av.inf -- [13.3 KB -- 29 May 2000]
    CA506AV.sys -- [157.6 KB -- 29 May 2000]
    dext5a.ax -- [15.4 KB -- 29 May 2000]
    dext5a.inf -- [1.5 KB -- 8 Mar 2000]
    Hwsnap.exe -- [184.3 KB -- 5 May 2000]
    I2C.exe -- [14.3 KB -- 16 May 2000]
    IYUV_32.DLL -- [65.5 KB -- 11 May 1998]
    ShowBmp.exe -- [118.8 KB -- 12 Apr 2000]
    sp40_32.dll -- [32.3 KB -- 12 Apr 2000]
    sp4x_32.dll -- [51.7 KB -- 10 May 2000]
    Tuner.exe -- [13.8 KB -- 16 May 2000]
    tw5a.ds -- [46.1 KB -- 11 May 2000]
    tw5a.ini -- [14.1 KB -- 16 May 2000]
    tw5a.src -- [5.9 KB -- 3 May 1999]
    VFWEXT5A.dll -- [32.8 KB -- 14 Apr 2000]

Am I doing something wrong? The only place I can track down the SPCA506 and SAA7113 are for Linux systems - anyone any idea where i can get the Windows XP equivilant?

Please, Please help me
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah thats the one! Cant read most of it however.
    Do you have any ideas about the SPCA506 and SAA7113?
    One of those links points to a "Ubuntu 6.10", but again seems to be a Linux project. Any ideas on windows xp versions anyone?
    Apparently one of thems sunplus and the others phillips?

Cheers
    Liz
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My suspicion is you are looking for files which do not exist.

SPCA506 is the chipset in the device. You have inf and sys files for the device.

A common mistake in installing USB devices is to connect the device before you load its drivers. Could this be your problem? Just a guess but this is the case with many printers and scanners.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi oldandintheway - I thought that too. Ive been through the whole process several times. Uninstalling each component, then installing the programme, rebooting, plugging in usb, and to no avail.
    If I do it again where should I be putting the inf and sys files? Is it system32/drivers? or should i be running the programme first?
    Many thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Does your original CD have a setup.exe or similar program in its root directory?

I find it hard to believe that you are expected to manually install these files.

There may not be XP drivers for this device. The files you have are contemporaneous with Win2K.

Some of these linux sites indicate the same chipset SPCA506 was used in other devices like the Logitech Webcam Express. A longshot and tedious process might be testing XP drivers for other devices based on the same chip set.

A more effective solution might be the purchase of a new capture device with drivers. I have no idea what the cost in the UK is but here in the USA there are specials as low as $30.

Good luck
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Most times Windows will find the new device and popup the "New Device Found" box requesting to search for drivers. You then point Windows to the .inf file. It looks at the .inf file and decides if it is the right one then installs the device. When done Windows will say the device is now ready to use or you must reboot so it can work.

- OR -

Upon bootup with the device connected Windows will put the new device in Device Manager and throw up a flag (question mark) by it's name calling it an unsupported or unknown device. Running the installation program will then install the device, or you can double-click the unsupported device and direct Windows to the .inf file which, in many cases, will install the device.

More than not - placing these files in any Windows folder isn't going to work.

USB devices are supposed to be easy to install.

Good luck.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Scorpion King - unfortunately ive tried every .inf file in the pile of folders I have a the computer just says "there is no information in this file about your device" - really healpful! So at the moment im trying out the suggestion of using the drivers for other related usb devices that have the same chipset. This one would have two wouldnt it!
    Since my first post ive found out the SPCA506 is the sunplus and the SAA7113 is the phillips one. Just installed both and the phillips one comes up as a wdm driver which is promising!
    Thanks for the posts so far, any other advice will be welcomed with open arms!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can open .inf files using Windows Notepad and usually the supported device model numbers and names will be stated there. This has saved me a lot of time and trouble in the past.

You can also run searches for particular text contained in *.inf files using Windows Explorer. This function has also saved me time before.

Good luck
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi guys,

i dont know if this helps u.

i have this device which works perfectly on my 1st pc with xp home, but not on pc 2 with xp pro.

dont know why tho.....

good luck, let me know if u work it out
    Quote Quote