VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    just after other peoples opinions of the 80 gig ipod.
    What are your thoughts on it?
    Been looking at reviews online and most say its cool but it is not the video ipod that they were expecting. Apparently another one is coming out soon????
    So what would a videopod have over a 5g 80 gig ipod apart from a bigger screen?
    Also seem to notice about 3/4 of people love their ipods while a good 1/4 seem to think they are junk and have broken very easily, and to top it off Apple are really hard to get one fixed through warranty ( in australia).
    Very curious to what other owners think.
    Oh, and what would the pro's/con be of getting a 80 gig non apple device?

Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Go with the 60gig Creative Zen Vision:M!!

Check the forum at anythingbutipod.com
    XP
    Intel Celeron D 335 Prescott 2.8GHz Socket 478 Pro
    600GB
    2G
    ATI Radeon X1600 Pro
    GIGABYTE GA-8I848P-G Socket 478 Intel 848P ATX Int
    Lite-On DVD SOHD-16P9S
    Hauppauge WINTV-PVR-150 PCI Interface Tuner Card
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have the Ipod. It is fantastic. You may want to pack a few movies when you travel. Both output to TV just great. However, I would rather be able to directly use Divx and Xvid files instead of reencoding everything I already own. Also, there are a lot more stand alone players for these files.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Someone in my family travels quite a bit. The iPod is perfect to pack in carry-on luggage.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by geowharton
    However, I would rather be able to directly use Divx and Xvid files instead of reencoding everything I already own.
    The Creative Zen Vision:M plays Divx and Xvid! It's awesome. Only prob is that you need mp3 audio, so sometimes you might have to convert from AC3 to mp3.
    XP
    Intel Celeron D 335 Prescott 2.8GHz Socket 478 Pro
    600GB
    2G
    ATI Radeon X1600 Pro
    GIGABYTE GA-8I848P-G Socket 478 Intel 848P ATX Int
    Lite-On DVD SOHD-16P9S
    Hauppauge WINTV-PVR-150 PCI Interface Tuner Card
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use my 5G iPod only for video. I use it (and have always use it) as Apple would have me use their AppleTV (albeit not wirelessly). It's also replaced my DVD player.

Absolutely love it. I don't mind transcoding to mp4 (H264, actually) as the quality is excellent and the file sizes are smaller.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Too small a screen. A friend has one and loves it. Unfortunately, these tired old eyes can't focus on it.....
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by oldfart13
    Too small a screen. A friend has one and loves it. Unfortunately, these tired old eyes can't focus on it.....
    Oh yes, absolutely. Way too small for anything like a movie although a short podcast is okay. However, the red/white/yellow cable Apple and others sell works great. I have a friend who added a long extension cable to this and he sits across the room on his couch and controls the iPod from there. He could use one of the "docks" that do this wirelessly but, for about $30 in cables, it does the job for him.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by oldfart13
    maybe they can try Zune, the screen is wider than iPod
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by oyeababe
    Originally Posted by oldfart13
    maybe they can try Zune, the screen is wider than iPod
    what does eveyone think of the new zune coming out Nov. 13? 80 gb, support for mpeg4 and h.264.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just picked up an 8 Gig touchscreen Ipod for a friend's business (one of the prizes in his arcade games machine). Nice toy. Too bad I can't afford one (or the 16 Gig counterpart) but I was told by the salespeople that they are selling rather briskly. I'll wait til they have one with more RAM but I'm sure these will be a hot item for Christmas presents this year....
    Quote Quote