VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've heard it over and over. Are there any camcorder repairmen out there that can answer this question and settle this. I would like to clean my heads more often but I am afraid to.
    We have a lot of toys now, but they're just toys. Where will our soul go when it departs....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I took my SVHS deck in once to be serviced. The guy said that those head cleaners were the #1 reason for repairs in his shop. He then showed me how to clean the head myself. He took a business card, put some cleaner on it, and gently rubbed the head back and forth all around. He showed me the dirt. Camcorders, being much smaller, have their own issues and probably should be professionally cleaned.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use to have a ton of Toshiba VHS VCR units (now I'm down to only one that works correctly) and they never ever liked the "wet" type of VHS cassette cleaner. It would start to play (or record I forget which button you were supposed to press now) and it would make a "grinding" noise then shut-down.

After that I never used anything but "dry" type of VHS cassette cleaner. My favorite was the one made by TDK.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  4. Heads shouldn't be cleaned until it's needed.

If you buy a longer guarantee at circuit city, it comes wit h a free cleaning each year.
    Quote Quote