VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use Audition, have a recording studio, and I do home-hobby video encoding. And wanted to play around with 5.1 audio since I just got my first surround system (I don't watch much TV, pathetic, I know).

Dolby Digital is preferred, but for the sake of completeness, is it possible to encode into LPCM streams as well?

In Audition, I can mix/master a 5.1 surround mix, save as 1 WAV file or separate WAV files.

My question is, what application do I use to encode a 5.1 AC3 file? I searched in the Tools for audio encoders, and either it's so rudamentary that it's omitted, or it's harder than it seems.

For video/authoring, I use:
    Vegas 5.x and TMPGEnc 4.x / DVD Author 2.x

Most of the posts I've searched on have decoding questions only (I don't mind knowing that either), but not on encoding 5.1 AC3.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    BeSweet can encode to AC3. You probably should get the GUI version as it's easier to use. I have to warn you that it's not perfect and you may (or may not) have problems (audible clicks for example) when encoding to AC3. Commercial encoders, if you can find one, are better. Scenarist comes with an AC3 encoder that works really well. I'm sure there are other good commercial ones that I don't know about. If you want to produce 5.1 AC3, saving your output as separate WAV files is probably best.

LPCM is a valid audio format for DVD but I assume you know that it's only 2 channels.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The current darling of the ac3 encoder scene is Aften . GUI front end available, and it is active development. Good stuff.

http://win32builds.sourceforge.net/ for the executable

http://kurtnoise.free.fr/index.php?dir=Aften/ for the GUI front end
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You guys rock.
    Thanks, and sorry if this was a total n00b question...
    Quote Quote