VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !

Poll: Would you upgrade to a high def disc if there was no format war?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    THANKS TO NTSCUSER for this suggestion -

https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?p=1642843#1642843

If there was no decision to make and it was a univerally approved 1080p high def disc format would you upgrade?
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Is the last choice really valid?
    I see that as of this writing, 7 people have already picked it, but both BLURAY & HD-DVD will play all of their old movies....
    Are you folks really that damed anal about 'absolutely having to replace "X" DVD with the BluRay/HDDVD version' now that you have the new player?
    just wondering...
    "To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research." - Steven Wright
    "Megalomaniacal, and harder than the rest!"
    Quote Quote  
  3. I chose holodeck, not because I really have a holodeck, but really, these "new" technologies? Optical media is so 1990's
    Hunting, sure i'll go hunting. When is cow season?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You don't have a choice for me

No-all of the content I watch is originally in 4:3 so hd gives me nothing I care about.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What happened to the choice of "I already own both formats and have circumvented the whole format war"? Because that's the one I would choose...long live HD!
    Quote Quote  
  6. What about , forget about it, I'm waiting for a format that works on standard DVDs. A sort of HD WMV/Divx/Xvid/H264 that will work on DL media and allow the home owner to purchase as well as roll their own.

Or to put it another way price and the ability to do my own discs too will have to drop to current DVD price levels. Or at least 2005 blanks and writers pricing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    But... if there's no format war, why is there still a choice between Blu-ray and HD-DVD in the poll? :P

I honestly can't say I'd choose any of the HD solutions... yet. Perhaps there should be more options in the poll, like "I'll pick whoever lowers the cost for the players and media into my price range, first." Not that THAT would necessarily convince me, either, but... eh.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ai Haibara
    I'll pick whoever lowers the cost for the players and media into my price range, first.
    I'm waiting for HD DVD players be on $200 price range...

In the mean time long live to OPPO.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'd consider getting a HD media player if it supported ALL disk formats, did decent upconversions, held at least 5 disks, and was less than $250. Of course, this would be after I finally got around to buying a HD TV set. I estimate I'll have all this in about 4 years.
    Usually long gone and forgotten
    Quote Quote  
  10. I have absolutely no desire for high-def anything!

If I really want to experience something really spectacular in the way it was intended, I go to the cinema.
    John Miller
    enosoft - high performance tools for music and video

Home of the Enosoft DV Processor - Free for personal use!
    Quote Quote  
  11. I chose "No - I'm not upgrading until I buy a hdtv" which is not likely in the foreseeable future. I don't really have much interest in HD. A nice picture will not make up for a lack of watchable content.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by gadgetguy
    A nice picture will not make up for a lack of watchable content.
    Very well said.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No, because players are too expensive.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ofbarea
    I'm waiting for HD DVD players be on $200 price range...
    You do know that the HDDVD add on for the XBOX 360 is around 200.00 and already for sale don't you? If you have a 360 this is right in your budget And if not this would be a good excuse to buy a xbox 360 so you can get the hddvd Although since the cheapest 360 barebones is 300 then you add the 200 you might as well buy a real standalone full fledged hddvd player for around 500.00........
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm in a slump right now financially so I really don't have any extra money to blow but I do have a HDTV already (bought Xmas of 2005) so I am ready but the main problem is that right now there is no clear winner and I don't want to get caught up in the wrong format as I feel that the market cannot deal with both formats.

I guess based on price alone I am leaning towards HD-DVD since the hardware is MUCH cheaper and the prices of the movies also seems to be less ... all compared to Blu-Ray which just seems to be overly expensive.

I do like the idea that Blu-Ray has more capacity but so far I've read pretty much nothing other than rave reviews for the quality of HD-DVD releases so ... maybe that extra capacity of Blu-Ray is no big deal?

It's a tough call especially since each format has some BIG guns behind them.

Also it is important to note that it seems everyone is concluding that the market will only handle one format but if SONY sticks to it's guns and decides to ONLY release their film library (rather massive) only on Blu-Ray ... well ... even if ALL the other studios go with HD-DVD ... we will still be stuck with both formats.

So perhaps a single unit that can play both formats will win in the end?

If I was well off I'd buy into both ... if I wanted to make an "educated guess" and had some money I'd go HD-DVD ... since the future is still unclear and my money is very low at the moment ... I'm waiting.

But oh am I dying to go with one or the other LOL

I've seen them playing in retails stores and the quality is rather breath-taking!!!

- John "FulciLives" Coleman

*** EDIT ***
    Opps!!!

I just re-read the first post and I see that I "missed" the whole reason behind this LOL

I guess if there was only one universal HDTV DVD format that I would DEFINITELY without a doubt upgrade although I would wait a bit for hardware prices to come down. But with no format war and the fact that I already own a HDTV ... it's a no brainer to upgrade!
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  16. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I can't answer, as none of the options fit.

My answer is "No. Because I don't want one"
    Quote Quote  
  17. upgrade to HD media player, I haven't seen anything that would make me plunk down the money to buy a player considering that I have DVD players including 2 changers. Whats being released for either format is nothing I'd be interested in.

What do I watch considering I'm in the USA is a mix of Networks, Dishnetworks HD channels, and British TV shows. One reason I have two region free PAL DVD to NTSC video out. That is a feature that may never appear in either of the HD disc formats.

And of course British Series on PBS such as Rebus. Right now NJN is broadcasting 'Allo 'Allo series 3. Earlier BBC america was broadcasting Spooks (UK) or MI-5 in the USA. And Biography channel is doing Midsomer Murders, Poirot and so on.

So bottom line Content not image quality. I am quite happy taking the dishnetwork feed of a a midsomer murders LB broadcast, blowing it up to fit the HDTV's screen and enjoying it because of content despite the lack of resolution.

Or to put it another way I'd rather watch a VCD of a MGM musical than a HD release of most of the current crop of movies.

Content rules.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Content ... Content ... Content ...

Is everyone forgetting that when DVD first came out that the CONTENT was very limited and it took a while for the Studios to get out all the titles they eventually did?

It was the same then as well with an emphasis on newer titles.

There are a few "classic" films already available such as:

12 Monkeys (HD-DVD)
    A Christmas Story (HD-DVD and Blu-Ray)
    The Adventures of Robin Hood (HD-DVD)
    An American Werewolf in London (HD-DVD)
    Animal House (HD-DVD)
    Blazing Saddles (HD-DVD and Blu-Ray)
    Caddyshack (HD-DVD)
    Carpenter's remake of The Thing (HD-DVD)
    Casablanca (HD-DVD)
    David Lynch's Dune (HD-DVD)
    The Deer Hunter (HD-DVD)
    The Dirty Dozen (HD-DVD)
    Enter The Dragon (HD-DVD)
    Excalibur (HD-DVD)
    Fifth Element (Blu-Ray)
    Forbidden Planet (HD-DVD)
    Full Metal Jacket (HD-DVD and Blu-Ray)
    Goodfellas (HD-DVD and Blu-Ray)
    Lethal Weapon (HD-DVD and Blu-Ray)
    Momento (Blu-Ray)
    National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (HD-DVD and Blu-Ray)
    The Princess Bride (Blu-Ray)
    Reds (Blu-Ray)
    Rocky (Blu-Ray)
    The Searchers (HD-DVD and Blu-Ray)
    Spartacus (HD-DVD)
    Stargate (Blu-Ray)
    The Sting (HD-DVD)
    Terminator (Blu-Ray)
    Terminator 2 (Blu-Ray)
    The Original SUPERMAN films (well the first two so far) (HD-DVD and Blu-Ray)
    Total Recall (Blu-Ray)
    Unforgiven (HD-DVD and Blu-Ray)
    Usual Suspects (Blu-Ray)
    Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory (HD-DVD)

I am sure more and more will be forthcoming ...

"The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by FulciLives

Is everyone forgetting that when DVD first came out that the CONTENT was very limited and it took a while for the Studios to get out all the titles they eventually did?

12 Monkeys (HD-DVD)
    Animal House (HD-DVD)
    Caddyshack (HD-DVD)
    Casablanca (HD-DVD)
    The Deer Hunter (HD-DVD)
    The Dirty Dozen (HD-DVD)
    Excalibur (HD-DVD)
    Fifth Element (Blu-Ray)
    Momento (Blu-Ray)
    Reds (Blu-Ray)
    Rocky (Blu-Ray)
    Spartacus (HD-DVD)
    Stargate (Blu-Ray)
    The Sting (HD-DVD)
    Terminator (Blu-Ray)
    Terminator 2 (Blu-Ray)
    Total Recall (Blu-Ray)
    Usual Suspects (Blu-Ray)

Don't see a film here which is worth even one dollar premium over standard DVD. And some of these titles have already made the $5.50 bin at Walmart so there is a much larger premium.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by oldandinthe way
    Originally Posted by FulciLives

12 Monkeys (HD-DVD)
    Animal House (HD-DVD)
    Caddyshack (HD-DVD)
    Casablanca (HD-DVD)
    The Deer Hunter (HD-DVD)
    The Dirty Dozen (HD-DVD)
    Excalibur (HD-DVD)
    Fifth Element (Blu-Ray)
    Momento (Blu-Ray)
    Reds (Blu-Ray)
    Rocky (Blu-Ray)
    Spartacus (HD-DVD)
    Stargate (Blu-Ray)
    The Sting (HD-DVD)
    Terminator (Blu-Ray)
    Terminator 2 (Blu-Ray)
    Total Recall (Blu-Ray)
    Usual Suspects (Blu-Ray)

Don't see a film here which is worth even one dollar premium over standard DVD. And some of these titles have already made the $5.50 bin at Walmart so there is a much larger premium.
    Well either you want HDTV resolution etc. or you don't.

I seem to recall people dumping VHS for DVD and not that many people were saying "why should I pay $20 for DVD when I can buy the VHS brand new for $9.99 or less?"

Well OK there were a few of those people then but seriously either you want HDTV or you don't. I can't imagine why you wouldn't especially after you see the quality of it.

I mean 1920x1080 is a HUGE difference from 720x480 ... easily as much a leap as there was from VHS to DVD.

Quote Quote  
  21. I'll stick with my OPPO DVD player that upconverts my DVD collection to my HDTV.
    When thay make a player that supports both BD and HD-DVD I may buy one.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MOVIEGEEK
    I'll stick with my OPPO DVD player that upconverts my DVD collection to my HDTV.
    When thay make a player that supports both BD and HD-DVD I may buy one.
    I agree, for most people and most displays moving from analog NTSC/PAL to good 480p is a larger perceived step than moving from 480p to 720p or 1080i.

Most can wait for displays to improve and prices come down before making a jump to 720p or 1080i/1080p source.

As for watching TV, most programming is still 480i/1080i. Picture quality has more to do with IVTC/deinterlace processing quality than resolution in those cases. The rare 720p/59.94fps broadcast shows what HDTV can be if high resolution is the goal.

As for 24fps movies, you either love the low motion resolution of the "film look" or you perceive it as unnatural and jerky. The only reason we have "adjusted" to it was the decision by Hollywood to cut costs on film stock back when the talkies were introduced. I can see the studio moguls asking "What is the lowest frame rate they will accept?"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If they actually PLACE more content on the discs, fine. Or more episodes. I'm tired of buying individual TV series DVDs for $30 that only have three episodes on the disc and no extras. :/

And if they could place more episodes on the discs, maybe they won't have to use thin cases in the box sets... so that someone can squeeze the box before I buy it and the prongs that hold the DVDs in the cases won't fall out when I open it.

I'd be for the dual-format discs, really - but will they cost more? I'll probably be sticking with regular DVDs for some time to come, as a personal preference, regardless.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    With the rapid improvements in VC-1 and H.264 compression, they (i.e. "Hollywood") could have made 1080p/24 movies fit on current red laser, dual layer DVD technology within 9Mb/s (or 2.5 hrs at 8Mb/s). The players would only need the proper hardware decoders (similar to AvelLink DVD player). This would be adequate for most commercial movie release.

The big threat to these guys is high capacity recordable media. They have tried to control the high capacity optical media market and restrict playback of HD movies to encrypted optical technology.

The market is ripe for a new strategy from a new player to bypass all this optical nonsense. I still favor a download strategy to a home network with a pay schedule for 24 hr play, or repeated play without time limit.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    edDV - exactamundo. 90% of the movies out there could fit on a DVD-9 in glorious 1080p and AVC/h264.

I'm just glad Hollywood started enticing us with HD titles such as "Flick" with Adam Sandler.
    I heared "Ghost Dad" with Bill Cosby is in the queue.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    They are rewarding us with their best future classics during this period when HDCP is turned off. The early bird gets the shaft.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-Bandwidth_Digital_Content_Protection
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote