VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi. I have a 5.1 ac3 file that I ripped. My question is how do I open it so it is in it's individual streams such as center channel channel, left channel, right channel, etc. If there is anyway to do this with Sound Forge or Vegas, I have those programs. Thanks.
    Hello
    Quote Quote  
  2. you can open a 5.1 ac3 file in Nuendo 2 It has this fascillity and you can edit individual channels also but you must have the dolby digital plug-in which one has to buy separately and Nuendo price is the big hole in the pocket
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by theblueflame159
    Hi. I have a 5.1 ac3 file that I ripped. My question is how do I open it so it is in it's individual streams such as center channel channel, left channel, right channel, etc. If there is anyway to do this with Sound Forge or Vegas, I have those programs. Thanks.
    I usually use softencode for this. But besweet can do this also....although it is best to configure it correctly to get close-to-accurate waveforms for each channel.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    na
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Pinstripes23
    Originally Posted by theblueflame159
    I usually use softencode for this. But besweet can do this also....although it is best to configure it correctly to get accurate waveforms for each channel.
    I also use Soft Encode for this but I've never figured out how to do it easily. What I mean is I have to load the 5.1 AC-3 then I can save 1 of the 6 channels. After that I have to load the 5.1 AC-3 again and pick another of the 6 channels to save. So yeah I have to do that 6 times LOL

However it seems to work well and in the end you have 6 mono PCM WAV files. After editing them you can then use Soft Encode again to put it all back together into a new 5.1 AC-3 file.

@Pinstripes23
    Is there an easier way to do it than the way I am doing it with Soft Encode?

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do a google search search for Tranzcode v0.40
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by FulciLives
    I also use Soft Encode for this but I've never figured out how to do it easily. What I mean is I have to load the 5.1 AC-3 then I can save 1 of the 6 channels. After that I have to load the 5.1 AC-3 again and pick another of the 6 channels to save. So yeah I have to do that 6 times LOL

However it seems to work well and in the end you have 6 mono PCM WAV files. After editing them you can then use Soft Encode again to put it all back together into a new 5.1 AC-3 file.

@Pinstripes23

I save it out as .wav file. Then when I use audition it opens it up as 6 different channels. I dunno if other audio editors can do it like this though, maybe soundforge or audacity?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

@Pinstripes23

I save it out as .wav file. Then when I use audition it opens it up as 6 different channels. I dunno if other audio editors can do it like this though, maybe soundforge or audacity?
    I never tried with Audacity but I remember this not working with SoundForge nor Goldwave.

Not something I have to do often but next time I'll give it a try with Audacity.

What I do is load the 5.1 AC-3 then eliminate 5 of the 6 channels then save that 1 remaining channel (giving me a mono wav file). If it is the center channel I'll call it "movie_c.wav" or for the front right speaker I'll call it "movie_fr.wav" etc.

But to do it that way I have to load the original file 6 times ... each time eliminating all but the channel I want. In the end I have 6 different mono wav files.

I do understand what you are saying but like I said ... when I tried it that way ... I don't recall SoundForge opening it up correctly.

"The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    But to do it that way I have to load the original file 6 times ... each time eliminating all but the channel I want. In the end I have 6 different mono wav files.
    Yeah that sounds that can be a pain to load it 6 times. I tried duplicating the output with besweet but IIRC there is a limitation in the azid section with the dialog normalization reduction that doesn't look or sound correct, when comparing it to soft encode's.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @Pinstripes23

Fulci I just tried something with soft encode, that can probably make the process go faster for you.

Open the original ac3, save it out as pcm .wav. Then open up the .wav file in soft encode, and it will create a .sfk file that will make loading the .wav automatically each time afterwards. That way soft encode doesn't spend time decoding the original ac3 every time you load it again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @Pinstripes23

Fulci I just tried something with soft encode, that can probably make the process go faster for you.

Open the original ac3, save it out as pcm .wav. Then open up the .wav file in soft encode, and it will create a .sfk file that will make loading the .wav automatically each time afterwards. That way soft encode doesn't spend time decoding the original ac3 every time you load it again.
    Sweet!

That was the BIG problem ... every time I load the 5.1 AC-3 into Soft Encode it would do that decoding process and that is what REALLY makes the process take forever.

Thanks for that!

Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks everyone. I seem to be able to do it with BeSweet easily (and it's free ). I looked up Soft Encode, and those price tags were outrageous
    Hello
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    use BeLight,is free very very easy to use.you can do others convertions between formats too.

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=85566&highlight=belight
    Quote Quote