VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I may have missed this, but has anyone found a replacement HDD that is a (physical) exact replacement for the 80gb? (Trying to avoid the outboard HDD appearance.)

LL

Just get another WD drive.... I replaced the HDD in both of my polaroids with WD2000...

Fits perfectly, no probs.... Bought both drives off Ebay for $35 each.. Best of all It was easy to sell the WD800 drives on Ebay for $30 each...

80GB to 200GB for $5..
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, Ebay is the place where you can buy a customer returned used and scratched digital camera with no accessories, warranty and "no refund" clause at the price higher then retail and later read "great transaction" in buyers left feedback
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    "Yeah, Ebay is the place where you can buy a customer returned used and scratched digital camera with no accessories, warranty and "no refund" clause at the price higher then retail and later read "great transaction" in buyers left feedback "

Nah not me...... I like to buy those plans for a 150" inch projection TV.. Eventually I'll find one good enough to use with my Polaroid
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MJA
    you need to be a member to see the pic's at AVS.

btw. The recorder isn't available at Wal-Mart,or WALMART.COM anymore
    I live in Hanford California ZIP 93230 and work in Fresno California [40 miles North of Hanford] ... after reading this article ... I called up the 5 or more Walmarts in the Fresno area. None were available. This was Saturday Feb 3rd 2007.

But in Visalia ... 20 miles East of Hanford ... I found one ... $236 bucks Tax is included.

And yes ... I do like to tinker.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I bought one today from Wal-Mart for $175 (floor model) with no remote .bad news is I can't find any codes for the recorder on my universal remote.any ideas guys? if not .this bad boy is going back to Wallyworld
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Go to the Polaroid site - look under accessories - you can buy a brand new remote for $13 - fast shipping, too.

LL
    Quote Quote  
  7. where did u see the $13? its $22.99 before shipping.

one more thing.The recorder is made on FEB 2006,not SPT,or OCT 2006

http://shopus.polaroid.com/shop/public/products/details/dsp_product_details.cfm?produc...sh_cookie=true
    Quote Quote  
  8. MJA,

That remote is for dvd players not the 2001G.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a questoin about YesDVD. Can you only make a YesDVD if you rec directly from the disc? And not from things rec on the HD? When I add titles to a DVD it makes them with the ugly blue Poloroid background (really awful, worst thing about this rec). It only gave me a optoin to make a YesDVD once when I accidently rec straight to the DVD instead of to the HD first. Using a +R DVD.
    Jess
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ACtually the remote is purchesed here now..

https://secure.scsoem.com/OrderEntry/default.aspx

Ends up being about $24 w/ shipping..
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by trhouse
    MJA,

That remote is for dvd players not the 2001G.
    Thirteen bucks what I paid ordering from the Polaroid site about 4 weeks ago. I still have the invoice. Polaroid actually sends you to a third-party company which handles their accessory sales. It is an exact replacement for the 2001G remote. (Yes, it says Polaroid on the remote.)

LL
    Quote Quote  
  12. with tax I paid $188+ $24 for the remote=$212 for an open box

I think this is a bad investment. back to Wal-Mart.

Thanx for the help guys
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MJA
    I think this is a bad investment. back to Wal-Mart.
    I agree.

Take a peek at the RCA 8030N (80GB hard drive). The tuner sucks (mono AND adds whine to audio), but it's fine if the signal is fed to it from a digital cable/satellite box or a VCR via stereo audio cables. The 3-hour and 1-hour modes look quite nice. The machine does slight filtering of the signal (grain removal only, no chroma noise removal). Only $199, or less in some places (clearance).
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK I have successfully transferred some VHS via S-video to the HDD in 16:9 and then copied to DVD+R that plays on all the other DVD players in my house. Darned if the DVDs don't look better than the original VHS. Maybe that's just me...

Now I've bought a WD 250gb IDE HD online which I am going to use to replace the 80gb. The way I read the posts, I should be able to just remove the 80gb, drop the 250gb in its place. Verify all the cables and jumpers are the same, and the 2001G should automatically find the new drive and format it, right?

Fingers crossed. After I get the 250gb installed, I would like to record some PPV off my D* receiver to the HDD in 480i through the component input. Anybody have experience with this type of project?

Thanks for an interesting thread.

LL
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [quote="next"]

The Polaroid can copy most DVD's played into it. Most notable exception is Disney DVD's. Any DVD including Disney will play into the Polaroid for recording if you are using a Philips 642 (02/04 build date).

quote]

What is the significance of the build date? Does it matter when the 642 was built?

Thanks.

LL
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    https://secure.scsoem.com/OrderEntry/accmenu.htm

Here's a more useable link to the remote. Choose shop accessories and product catagory DVD.Then model DRM-2001G. $14.99+$9.00ship.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by next
    Not possible. For example the DVD burner I use now is both DL and DVD-Ram capable. But the Polaroid does not see a DL or Ram disc - doesn't work with DL or Ram.
    I'll have to read through those AVS threads, but for the moment I'm confused. I'm looking at the pix of that stacked array of external devices, and it's not clear to me how recording or burning is controlled, other than through the firmware of the Polaroid -- which your comment clearly implies. BUT, isn't the value of the Polaroid (as a generally BF-ignoring passthrough device) greatly diminished if you can't then burn to DL or certain other media ? I get the rare component-connection part, for use with some HD-ready sat or cable boxes, but that may be enough reason to seek out one of these units.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vhelp
    LS,

A word of caution..
    Be sure you watch out for the Polaroid's component line up, with the
    hdtv equipment component's. They are not lined up as tipicle R/G/B.
    I made the mistake of connecting them wrong the first time I had
    set them up. See how they are utually lined up, below.

So, as long as the color leads line up to their respective connectors,
    you should be fine. Here's how my equipment look.. note the color digits:

** Y:G Pb:B Pr:R <-- HDTV Receiver [component output]
    ** Y:G Cb:B Cr:R <-- Polaroid [component input]

-vhelp 4207
    So I just tracked down a DRM-2001G a few days ago after seeing what various models of DVD recorder w/HDD were being sold in the area and reading various reviews on their capabilities. (As mentioned on many forums, it's very hard to find one still in stock.)
    So far I have not been able to get component video from my Sony DirecTV HD receiver to work properly with it. The Sony claims to output YPbPr component video, while the markings on the rear of the DRM2001g indicate YCbCr for the component input, and the input selection menu on screen indicates YUV component video. When I tried to view 480i component video output from the DirecTV receiver routed through the DRM2001g and into the component in of my Mitsubishi WS55859 I had the right half of the picture on the left side of the screen, and the left half of the picture on the right side of the screen.
    I have read elsewhere that there are several different signal variations for component video, and they aren't necessarily interchangeable. Did I get the cabling wrong or am I screwed and unable to use the component in jacks on the DRM2001g? I thought I had the cables connected as shown above.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I made a mistake in my previous posting. The component video signal routed from the my Sony DirecTV receiver to the component video input of the DRM2001g was a 480p signal, not 480i. Does the DRM2001g's component input not handle a progressive scan signal? I haven't found a clarification yet in the manual.

The Sony's component output is not available when set for 480i mode. It only works in 1080i, 720p and 480p. When the Sony is set for 480i output format I have to use the composite or S-Video jacks as a signal source.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by LordRichard
    I made a mistake in my previous posting. The component video signal routed from the my Sony DirecTV receiver to the component video input of the DRM2001g was a 480p signal, not 480i. Does the DRM2001g's component input not handle a progressive scan signal? I haven't found a clarification yet in the manual.

The Sony's component output is not available when set for 480i mode. It only works in 1080i, 720p and 480p. When the Sony is set for 480i output format I have to use the composite or S-Video jacks as a signal source.
    DVD recorders will only accept a 480i video signal. This is standard across brands.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DVD recorders will only accept a 480i video signal. This is standard across brands.
    Hmmm, well that sucks. It means I'll have to use the S-Video connection for all recordings.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Last time on.. January 20, 2007 Sat 10:58pm

FROM: https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?p=1664028#1664028
    SUBJ: DVD Recorder: Polaroid DRM-2001G tests -- by vhelp;

oops, I ment to answer in the other thread. Please see that thread.
    Thanks you, and sorry for the screw-up.

Sincerely,
    -vhelp 4216
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [quote="next"]
    Originally Posted by InXess
    ...But a HDD going bad will never kill a Polaroid. Nor a burner going bad for that matter...
    I have a Polariod DMR 2001-G with a burner that is going bad -- it's starting to not recognize both commercial and self-make DVDs when inserted, and is having trouble finalizing discs I try to burn. Where can I get a replacement burner? I am comfortable doing the surgery, but do not know a source for the part, or even a part number, and what cost to expect. Any help on this?
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by masochrist
    https://secure.scsoem.com/OrderEntry/accmenu.htm

Here's a more useable link to the remote. Choose shop accessories and product catagory DVD.Then model DRM-2001G. $14.99+$9.00ship.
    The best replacement remote for the Polaroid DRM2001G is the Sony RM-VL600. It will "learn" all the commands from the Polaroid remote, and has a much more user-friendly ergonomic layout. Big buttons, logically laid out. About $25, and worth every penny! I read multiple glowing reviews of this unit from discussion like this one before buying it. Check it out -- it beats the Polaroid original hands down.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [quote="Fused0ne"]I have a questoin about YesDVD. Can you only make a YesDVD if you rec directly from the disc? And not from things rec on the HD? When I add titles to a DVD it makes them with the ugly blue Poloroid background (really awful, worst thing about this rec). It only gave me a optoin to make a YesDVD once when I accidently rec straight to the DVD instead of to the HD first. Using a +R DVD.[/quote

I am interested in the answer to this question. I have looked and don't find that a replay to this was ever posted. None of the DVDs that I have burned display anything remotely looking like the photos on the side of the DRM2001G box. All of the DVDs I have made have been from video captured to the HD so I could edit it first. The manual appears to imply that YesDVD only works when capturing live video direct to the DVD from one of the inputs, but not from the HD. Is this correct?
    Quote Quote  
  26. Correct, you can only make a YesDVD disk when recording right to disk. I always take the Polaroid DVD's and re-author them.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [quote="mdspiro"]
    Originally Posted by InXess
    ...But a HDD going bad will never kill a Polaroid. Nor a burner going bad for that matter...
    I have a Polariod DMR 2001-G with a burner that is going bad -- it's starting to not recognize both commercial and self-make DVDs when inserted, and is having trouble finalizing discs I try to burn. Where can I get a replacement burner? I am comfortable doing the surgery, but do not know a source for the part, or even a part number, and what cost to expect. Any help on this?
    I bought two DRM-2001 G units to overcome compatibility issues. Yet, now one of my optical drives is shot. I second the above question about a replacement.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Barnabas
    Correct, you can only make a YesDVD disk when recording right to disk. I always take the Polaroid DVD's and re-author them.
    More work, and cost to buy additional software. That is very disappointing.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Dakota22
    I bought two DRM-2001 G units to overcome compatibility issues. Yet, now one of my optical drives is shot.
    General FYI Follow-up:
    PROBLEM-
    The problem was that whenever I put a disc in, there was a slight scraping sound as the laser tried to read the disc. After a brief period it would just stop, and not recognize that anything was on the disc. The disc menu never would come up. However, on unfinalized discs I could mark programs for burning and press record to start the burning process, even though the disc was actually already full.

FIX (so far, anyway!) -
    I removed the unit cover, then the optical drive cover. I noticed the ribbon to the laser was abraded from the disc rubbing against it. It wasn't worn so much that a piece of tape wouldn't help to cover the exposed leads.

I then put a plastic-coated paper clip on the ribbon to weight it down out of the path of the spinning disc. I also had to add 3-4 tiny squares of cut cellophane under the clip to add weight.

I replaced the two covers.

Bingo! Everything is fine. I went back this morning and removed the cellophane and clip. The ribbon seems to stay down out of the way now. The small kink in it got straightened out.

So, if your optical drive stops recognizing discs properly, and you might be able to hear a slight scraping sound as the unit tries to read it, check to see if the ribbon is clear of the disc's path.

Hope this is useful.
    Quote Quote