VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have acquired some tv files, which are labeled to have been encoded to avi using xvid. In the past I have had problem with tv show files (and, some movie files,) with the video and audio tracks using sync with each other after a while.

I posted the problem in these forums, and, was given the suggestion to use GoldWave to decompress the audio track, then reattach the audio to the video, using something like TMPGEncoder.

Doing that has worked most every time, except for one movie file, which I learned later had been encoded with an audio sync problem. However, this wekend I can't get GoldWave to decompress these files. VideoInspector says I have the right codeccs for these audio files (supposedly they are mp3,) but GoldWave doesn't seem to recognize them, and, when I try decompressing with VirtualDubMod, it says that there is no audio decompresser for them.
    I've tried to download some other free audio editors, like AVI2WAV, but after unzipping the host file, the installer is missing, or, the installer file is missing, and/or corrupt.

If anyone has an idea on to work around this, I'd greatly appreciate it.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just had a problem with a couple of Xvid encoded videos that's very similar to yours. GSpot reported that I had the necessary codecs, Widdows Media Player played the files just fine, but when I tried to use VirtualDub to convert the files or save the audio from them as a WAV, I got the error message that the necessary codec/decompressor was missing. Tried using Adobe's Audition to extract the audio and again, no joy. People suggested trying Goldwave as well as loading a specific codec from a specific codec pack but before I did either, just for the heck of it, I tried using Dr. Divx to convert the files and it worked like a charm. Once converted, Virtualdub had no problem extracting the audio. I don't know if this is some bug associated with certain versions of Xvid, but it seems obvious that if you can hear the audio, the necessary codec must be on your system. Something in the way the file is encoded must prevent programs like Goldwave, Virtualdub and Audition from "seeing" the appropriate audio codec.

Hope this helps.
    A fellow Chicagoan
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by agent222
    it says that there is no audio decompresser for them
    Must be ac3 audio even though you say it is probably mp3 audio. Try ac3acmdecompresser. That should do the trick to read it in virtualdub.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The program you mentioned, AC3acm is one of the programs I tried to download. When I try to open the installer file, Windows XP compressed files wizard says that there's nothing there. Tried both from the main download site, and, a mirror. Both times, same result.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Guest
    avi2wav has no install file, extract all files to a folder and avi2wav.exe. And for ac3acm extract all files and right click on the .inf file and select install. But if it is ac3 it should work fine to install ac3 filter and run goldwave also.

Or use ffmpeggui and convert directly to ac3 or mpa if you are making a dvd or use convertxtodvd for all-in-one dvd making.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Windows XP compressed files wizard has problem with some archives. Use WinZip or other dedidated tool. That is - if you really managed to download it properly.

/Mats
    Quote Quote